Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
I was just reading a webpage on my iPad and the screen went black and then the Apple logo came up and then the spinning loading wheel and it just went black...

Nothing after that.

The screen is blank/black/off - can't tell which. Resetting does nothing. Plugging it into the charge does nothing. Plugging it into iTunes does nothing.

I am not in the US so I am pretty annoyed. I have never had an Apple product die on me! I didn't drop it or get it wet or do anything to it... it has been in its case the entire time!

I got it off eBay and it had worked perfectly up until now.

I am not worried about getting it replaced because I am sure either the guy I got it from will sort it out for me or Apple will when its released here.

In fact I have family in the USA so I can even send it to them so they can swap it at a US Apple Store and send it back to me BUT its so inconvenient and I have no idea why it did this.

I never EVER expected my Apple iPad to just die like this especially before the UK release! This is very frustrating!

caubeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
This is the second case I've seen in this forum. Mine's coming to Europe tomorrow too (gulp).

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
And if the above doesn't work out, you may have gotten a lemon. That's what waranties are for. However, in your case the logistics will be more difficult.

HengenJL

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
Is it possible that you completely ran the battery down to 0? How long did you leave the iPad plugged into it's charger? I've noticed that it will take ~5min on the charger before the screen comes back on displaying the battery charging icon when the iPad has been run down to 0 battery life....

ClaireL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2010
New Jersey
Spin, do you have an Apple Store near you even though you are not in the states? They might be able to help you despite not having iPad's for sale yet.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
LOL It was fully charged. I just literally unplugged it to have a read...

I know all about DFU mode... it doesn't work. I am a bit of a pro at the hacking stuff :p

When I say its dead I really mean it is dead.

I suppose the quickest way would be to send it off to my uncle in the US but the problem I have then is I will probably get charged VAT as it is not out here yet when it comes back!

EddyP

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
Is it possible that you completely ran the battery down to 0? How long did you leave the iPad plugged into it's charger? I've noticed that it will take ~5min on the charger before the screen comes back on displaying the battery charging icon when the iPad has been run down to 0 battery life....
Yup. It has never happened to my iPad but it has happened a couple of times with my iPhone. It looks like the thing is dead. Buttons don't do anything. 10 minutes or so on the charger it comes back to life.

To the OP... I hope that's all that is wrong with yours!

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
mmmm very wierd.

I plugged it into the mains... (and for the record I had plugged it into the mains when it first switched off for a few mins) and it has magically come back to life...

I don't know whether to be elated or annoyed at the fact I have no idea what is going on!

Turns out when I try to hold power and home to reset it blacks out again... plug back into mains and it works... wierd wierd wierd

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
Maybe you just got a bad one.
It never happens to the guy who lives a block from the Apple store.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
I can believe it may be a battery issue... but it can't be the indicator as it was charging all night - I literally unplugged it.

Clearly something isn't right so I am going to have to keep an eye on it for now.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
Eh, that happened to my new iPhone a few times during the first few weeks of burn-in. It seems like if you leave them alone for 10 minutes or so they're fine.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
mmmm very wierd.

I plugged it into the mains... (and for the record I had plugged it into the mains when it first switched off for a few mins) and it has magically come back to life...

I don't know whether to be elated or annoyed at the fact I have no idea what is going on!

Turns out when I try to hold power and home to reset it blacks out again... plug back into mains and it works... wierd wierd wierd

iPhones do this on occasion as well. No big deal. Glad it came back for ya. ;)

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Ideally I can keep an eye on it until the UK release and won't have any more problems.

I was strangley calm when that happened because I know I can't do anything anyway right away.

I haven't yet got a reply from the eBay guy but I did sent another message saying it was working again but it would be good if maybe they could swap it for me (though I wouldn't do that if I was them!) - I was happy to hand it back for them to swap it at Apple in the US but now it's working I don't want to do that!

It is very odd that it won't reset though without blacking out... strange.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
This sort of thing is why I purchased AppleCare for my iPad. Since I plan to depend on it as my "road machine", I want Apple to beyond the 90 day phone/1 year repair that customarily comes with this device. I only wish AppleCare on the iPad went 3 years as I don't see replacing mine before that. Then again, there will probably be a 12 terabyte 1080p 4G version selling for $299 in 2 years. :p

Glad you got it sorted out, spinstorm. I've only seen the Apple log once. I saw it yesterday briefly. Clearly the OS is not as stable as I'd like it to be, but not bad for a first generation device.

thatisme

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2010
United States
I got one that went dead while we were still in the store. First the accelerometer wouldn't work, then then screen went black and wouldn't turn back on.

Thankfully, we were still at the apple store, and it was swapped out - no questions asked.

I hope it all works out for you!

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
That was good timing :)

I just hope that I suffered a minor random firmware issue and that should it happen again plugging it in will sort it out.

To be honest if all I need to do is plug it in while it is inconvenient I can manage that until the UK release then get it swapped... that is my hope!

BobRichards

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
I have seen this happen to my friends ipad. He left it charging over night and it started working again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.