Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
hmm.. interesting.. interesting..

i wonder how long apple will follow this type of marketing... iy looks like they really want to follow it..

what do you guys think: do you think this type of marketing is working??

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
So far, so good

I really like the Aaron Adams spot. The punch line is soooo über cool...

...and I'm a Windows LAN Administrator...

He is kicking M$ were it hurts... :D :p :)

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2001
Originally posted by firewire2001

what do you guys think: do you think this type of marketing is working??

Honestly, I've seen the commercials, and it doesn't catch my eye. If I was channel surfing and I saw them, I would switch the channel. Another thing is that when the tv show you're watching take a commercial break, it doesn't still catch your eye.

Of course, it could be short attention span, but I'm not sure. All the commercials I see have to catch my eye first. The newest iMac commercial cought my eye

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by ShaolinMiddleFinger

Honestly, I've seen the commercials, and it doesn't catch my eye. If I was channel surfing and I saw them, I would switch the channel. Another thing is that when the tv show you're watching take a commercial break, it doesn't still catch your eye.

Of course, it could be short attention span, but I'm not sure. All the commercials I see have to catch my eye first. The newest iMac commercial cought my eye

I disagree. These commercials speak to people who've been "spected" to death in advertising. MHz this, CD-RW that, RAM updrades and rebates, etc. These 'real people' are actually talking about their experiences with the product and about how Apple has improved their lives. It's the oldest most sincere form of advertising: word of mouth.

I would never have 'switched' if I didn't get such glowing reviews from two of my good friends.

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
A lot of us think these commercials aren't the greatest. Only thing I can think of is 'preaching to the converted'.

We are (90%+) Apple users already, so seeing a spot that remind us that Office is available for Windows doesn't impress us.

However, I've seen some positive support, and some new interest, coming from people who aren't Apple users, which means that they are working.

In my local Apple store, I spent a while slobbering on a Cinema HD, and I heard (without being nosy) at least 6 people come in who were asking about switching.

One guy was using an old PII laptop with a blown screen. He bought a new TiBook, took it to the Genius bar, they wired it into his PII, wired his PII into a VGA display, and did the whole switch for him.

This is old hat to the likes of us, but this guy was THRILLED and AMAZED. The Apple store experience is currently built on a customer service model (not a money model), and as such, store employees will bend over backwards to make you happy. Find me a Gateway Country customer who feels they've been pampered leaving the store!

No matter what we think of these ads, they seem to be working, and that's what counts for Apple. I hated Jeff Golblum, the iMac spots, etc. but there is no denying they sold machines!

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
Thats an interesting APple store story!

I think that the commercials thou they may not be INYOURFACE visuals.
I think that they are effective in the sense that they first are very different from the usual computer ads,, there isnt a guy talking numbers at you from a factory or whatever.

These are normal people talking to normal people.

Hey look at this, I used to be like you but now I am happier...come into the light,, be free!

I think that it can become very effective...hopefully..

APPLE has to back up the machines to sell this MWNY...
Then its HISTORY FOR PCHEESERS!

jg3

macrumors member
May 3, 2002
Urbana, IL
ahm...

I agree, it's good to have some minority representation, but did it seem to anyone else that Juan didn't... really say much of anything? Not as a dig against him - didn't one of the switch ad guys on the boards here say they had you talk for 30-45 minutes? I would expect they could cull some better clips than what they used?? Odd.

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2001
ah...yeah, I didn't realize I was already a Mac user. Those ad's are geared for PC people. Maybe that's why it couldn't catch my eye.

I can't wait to see the celebrity ads

AaronAdams

As Seen on TV (apple.com/switch)
Jun 19, 2002
Dayton, OH
Re: So far, so good

Originally posted by crassusad44
I really like the Aaron Adams spot. The punch line is soooo über cool...

...and I'm a Windows LAN Administrator...

He is kicking M$ were it hurts... :D :p :)

Wow, thanks! :) That's very flattering.

Aaron

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2001
Montgomery, AL
Re: Re: So far, so good

Originally posted by AaronAdams
Wow, thanks! :) That's very flattering.

Aaron

Ok, so I know this is lame, but it is SO COOL that this is for real. Aaron Adams is actually posting RIGHT HERE. I'll stop giggling like a school girl now. ;)

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
i like...

i think it's a refreshing change for a computer commercial. no talk of rebates and a piece of crap free printer or "dude you're gettin' a...". it's nice and relaxed and gives a real sign of self confidence for Apple. me like.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
Originally posted by Macmaniac
I'm glad to see a minority in the ads! Now all they need is a African American and we are set. They are two good additions to the Switch campaign. I bet there are two more because the page should look even!
I wonder where the iBook comercial is?

be true to your signature. putting on a commercial with an africanamerican because they belong to a racial group lacks any kind of merit. i personally think if they did the whole "equality" thing it would come off as fake and trying too hard. they got run of the mill people. come on. think different.

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
i like the switch ads

no, they're not fancy but they speak to the heart of the matter with every computer user.....make my life easier, make my computer experience better.

its all about getting the word out to those who don't know there is a choice or don't know that there is a major difference in the user experience between the platforms.

rock on apple.:D

TypeR389

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2002
Seattle
I think they are great...

I think this is a very smart Ad campaign by Apple. It is directly targeted at the market they are most likely to attract to Macs in the first place. I see there are two main markets, people who are not computer geeks, may have a machine a t work or even an old one at home, but find themselves not using it becuase the overall user experiance cannot be equated in Mhz,GB,CDR or any other acronyms. The other are people who DO know computers, but are open minded enough to look for alternatives. Outside of software development, there is VERY little you cannot do as well if not better on a mac, if you don't mind re-learning a little. Heck, I am a windows developer, and I am STILL thinking of getting a mac as my primary laptop. too bad I can't compile a x86 program on it. Yea, I know I can write other languages, but my reality is I write software for large companies, none that use macs as their standard machine, so I have to write to what they use.

I think for the last year or two, Apple really has had the WOW factor to their hardware (mostly laptops and iMacs) and OSX is pretty sweet, can't wait to try jaguar out. Now just give me a little more speed and I am there. Speaking in car terms, we have the sweet Italian designed body(hardware) we have a great comfortable and user friendly cockpit for controlling the car(OSX) now just give me a supercharger and I am set!

Okay, I am rambling, I will shut my trap now...

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2001
Montgomery, AL
I personally like the ads, but I'm already converted. I'll give you guys an example of their effectiveness, though.

My mother is the director of admissions at a private school, and she works on a Windows network all day. She knows quite a bit about how to get her work done, but she's never had a truly positive experience with the Gateway's they use, either. It's always been exactly what it is, work. She saw the first round of Switc ads, heard what they were saying about computing being easy and painless, and called me up. She asked me a few simple questions about interoperability and stability. She wanted to know if she could print a Word or Excel document from work at home. She wanted to know if the Mac versions of these programs were compatible with her Windows versions at work. She wanted to know if she could use her Palm at home. She wanted to know if it was hard to learn the Mac OS. Simple questions. I answered all of them in a minute or two. Now she's a switcher, too. As soon as MWNY rolls around she's on the bandwagon. It's that simple. Show people that they can get the same work done without the headache, and that it can look good too. If you can do that you've got a customer for life. Bravo, Apple. This campaign may just be "the one".

savagegibson

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2002
South Carolina
Magazine Publisher ???!!!

Can't we find a freaking doctor or lawyer or anyone who is expected to use a PC. Who's idea was it to pick a magazine publisher? How far did they have to look to find a mac user in the magazine industry?

I REALLY like the campaign, but I wish the people had more typical "Windows-type" jobs.

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Re: I think they are great...

Originally posted by TypeR389
Outside of software development, there is VERY little you cannot do as well if not better on a mac, if you don't mind re-learning a little.

Ummm...software development? Do you mean Windows object developmet?

I have compilers, editors, and IDEs coming out of my pores. I've got BBEdit, vi, grep. I've got SED & AWK. I've got every programming tool I can think of.

I have Apache with all my web tools. I have Project Builder, which is the coolest peice of free software ever.

I have CVS. I have Java which is alot smoother than on Wintel. I have C, C++, Perl, Python, Ruby, Obj C, and any thing I need from the UNIX world.

Ouside of BBEdit, these tools are free.

I don't have InterDev, and I'm glad. I won't write Windows only software, so for me, I've found the perfect dev environment. I also will avoid .NET like the plague, since I still have faith in .NET failing miserably.

As a matter a fact, the only thing the Mac isn't suited to write right now are com objects and virii.

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Re: Magazine Publisher ???!!!

Originally posted by savagegibson
Can't we find a freaking doctor or lawyer or anyone who is expected to use a PC. Who's idea was it to pick a magazine publisher? How far did they have to look to find a mac user in the magazine industry?

I REALLY like the campaign, but I wish the people had more typical "Windows-type" jobs.

Lawyers are disproportionately Mac based, for some reason. Something like 23% when I read the article last year. May have something to do with smaller practices without IT support.

Targeting accountants, and general paper pusher types is a huge inroad to be made, but the app support isn't there (yet). Peachtree? and other similar business apps are still Wintel Client/UNIX server (I think).

If Apple can target the markets where it has a foothold (arts, small business, publishing, advertising, etc.), and up percentages, they'll begin to be taken more seriously by the über corporate types. Imagine if ad agencies went back to 1987, and were 70% Apple. That's huge!

blissgirl

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2002
new mac ads rock

I just got my first shiny new mac and threw my pcheese to the rats!

Yay! Now i am a happy, free and devoted machead!

love the ads. They are based in reality, fun, and make me giggle with understanding.

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
The Switch ads are meant to be simple. They're not meant to 'catch your eye' or impress you. They're really straight-forward: 'i switched to mac with no problems and it made things a lot easier'. _simple message_ It will get through.

There's one part of the puzzle for the consumer market that I really feel is missing though: Games. A lot of time, kids will be making the decision for the family as to what comp to buy... If they can get the best games first on the mac, apple should easily be able to double their market share. IMO, apple should keep shopping -- they should start buying out some games or game dev. companies and make them mac exclusive and promote them as 'Exclusive for Macintosh'. I don't know what you guys think, but now that Apple's getting Windows-compatibility in place (jag smb browser), it should be time to attack the consumer market more agressively.

What do you guys think??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.