Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yvette9510

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
Hey guys,

Im gonna go on holiday to Japan next Saturday and I want to buy my new MBP there because compared to the Euro (im from the Netherlands) it would safe me 400 euro. But my question is, do they sell MBP's in Tokyo with an US keyboard WITHOUT the Japanese characters also applied to it? I dont want to have both characters on my keyboard because I will never return to Japan ever again probably.

And if I buy it online and let it ship to my hotel, will it come with the US keyboard if I ask to? Does anyone know how long shipping takes because I will be there for just 9 days...

And final question... Im a student in the Netherlands, but does it also work in Japan for the educational discount?

Hope you can help me!

ducu

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2010
I am in Tokyo right now and i got my new mbp 13 with us keyboard and student discount in Shibuya at the apple retail store. They sometimes have a few models with us keyboard in stock. U could also try the Ginza store. Ordering online if u are there only for 9 days could be a gamble as it takes at least 8 days according to the english sales line... at least 8.
U can try to get student discount but u have to be very charming and persistent as they will tell u its only for japanese students. They also offer a free 8 gb ipod touch plus educational discount on top but u need a japanese bank account. Good luck and enjoy your new mbp.

Yvette9510

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
Thank you for your reply! So is your US keyboard just qwerty or also the Japanese characters in the corners? And is it possible to make like a reservation for the US one?

And does is cost money to make a Japanese bank account right away? Would be nice to have a free Ipod Touch!

Ill let you know if it worked out with the educational discount... Will be in Japan in 5 days! Thanks again for reply, really usefull :)

nastebu

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2008
Thank you for your reply! So is your US keyboard just qwerty or also the Japanese characters in the corners? And is it possible to make like a reservation for the US one?

And does is cost money to make a Japanese bank account right away? Would be nice to have a free Ipod Touch!

Ill let you know if it worked out with the educational discount... Will be in Japan in 5 days! Thanks again for reply, really usefull :)

English language keyboards don't have kana on them. As for reservations, I've never done it, but you can try a *very* polite email in English directly to the shibuya or ginza store. Be very very nice and respectful, say "thank you" several times, and you'll get help.

To start a bank account in Japan you need a residency visa. No amount of money will help you there.

Enjoy Japan.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Try phoning Apple Japan. They have an English line. If you want to go to a shop in Tokyo, the Ginza shop is quite big and accommodating to international customers. I don't think the rest are as good. The Shibuya shop is small in comparison, and not as organised, IMO.

itou

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Try phoning Apple Japan. They have an English line. If you want to go to a shop in Tokyo, the Ginza shop is quite big and accommodating to international customers. I don't think the rest are as good. The Shibuya shop is small in comparison, and not as organised, IMO.

some stores will carry US keyboards in stock.
as far as laptops go, most of them are Japanese keyboards.
you can always buy the ones with Japanese keyboard and then take it to Apple store to change for a US keyboard when you're back in your home country. You'll pay for that but it'll be less than 400 euros.

Having it shipped to a hotel is generally a no-go. Setting up a bank account in Japan is also a no-go. That's just how we do business.

Buying it in store will also qualify you for duty-free. Show them your passport to qualify for 5% (our tax) off.

Yvette9510

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
So I got back today and it totally worked out! Went the first day to the Ginza shop (I just like bumped in to it 1 hour after I arrived) and bought it instantly, they were really surprised haha. I got the educational discount without any problems and with an US keyboard. Japanese people are soo nice! I had like 5 people working it out for me personally. No Ipod touch though or 5% tax off but Im still happy because it saved me like 400 euro! And I hadn't any problems for importing it here (I just didnt tell).

I bought the Macbook Pro CoreI7, 15", but it is normal that it makes a constant noise? It is even louder than my old MBP (2.66 ghz Core2Duo, 15.4"). I hear the harddisk spinning really loud and it is not even that fast I expected it to be... It is possible that I got a ''factory mistake'' macbook? Or are all the new macbooks louder?

itou

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
So I got back today and it totally worked out! Went the first day to the Ginza shop (I just like bumped in to it 1 hour after I arrived) and bought it instantly, they were really surprised haha. I got the educational discount without any problems and with an US keyboard. Japanese people are soo nice! I had like 5 people working it out for me personally. No Ipod touch though or 5% tax off but Im still happy because it saved me like 400 euro! And I hadn't any problems for importing it here (I just didnt tell).

I bought the Macbook Pro CoreI7, 15", but it is normal that it makes a constant noise? It is even louder than my old MBP (2.66 ghz Core2Duo, 15.4"). I hear the harddisk spinning really loud and it is not even that fast I expected it to be... It is possible that I got a ''factory mistake'' macbook? Or are all the new macbooks louder?

i'm glad you enjoyed japan.
if you've purchased applecare, you're covered worldwide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.