Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illicium

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
This is a legit question. I have seen many on here say that if the screen size itself doesn't change in the new version, Apple better at least have a higher resolution screen.

Why is this? I have never looked at my 3G and thought, man this resolution stinks. In my personal opinion, the iPhone screen has good brightness, and good colors and quality pictures and videos seem very sharp. I would consider myself to be one who generally has an appreciation for audio and video quality. I have a very nice, very large HD TV, along with a pretty nice home theater system setup, and generally only find myself watching HD channels even sometimes if there is a more interesting show on an SD channel.

So what's the big deal with demand for higher resolution on such a small device that, IMO already has a quality display as it is? Don't get me wrong, you won't hear me complain if there is a higher res display, but you also won't hear me complain if there isn't.

What say you?

MassiveAttack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2010
New York
So what's the big deal with demand for higher resolution on such a small device that, IMO already has a quality display as it is? Don't get me wrong, you won't hear me complain if there is a higher res display, but you also won't hear me complain if there isn't.

What say you?

:rolleyes:

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
For me it would be to make all text even more clear/crisp.

I used a Sony Ericsson X10 for a few days, resolution was 854x480, and using things like the browser and maps was insane compared to how they looked on the iPhone. for example, the whole macrumors home page could open on the X10 and all the text was perfectly clear.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Why is this? I have never looked at my 3G and thought, man this resolution stinks.

Look at another device with a higher resolution and fall in love. It really does make a difference. Opera Mini on the iPhone is totally unreadable on the iPhone when zoomed out all the way, on my N1 everything is readable.

A higher resolution screen will undoubtedly be welcomed by the majority of prospective fourth gen owners.

superspartan

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2006
My question relating to an increased resolution is whether it will fragment the app market.

Will devs continue to develop for the same amount of screen real estate, with the higher res models simply offering higher pixel density? Or will Apple allow developer to utilize that additional real estate to plug more content into a screen? The latter option would mean either lower res models couldn't run the app, or we'll see two version of the same app.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
My question relating to an increased resolution is whether it will fragment the app market.

Will devs continue to develop for the same amount of screen real estate, with the higher res models simply offering higher pixel density? Or will Apple allow developer to utilize that additional real estate to plug more content into a screen? The latter option would mean either lower res models couldn't run the app, or we'll see two version of the same app.

I'd say the latter. The limitation on iPhone interfaces has never been the resolution, but the screen size. If that's constant, nothing will change for apps but the clarity of the visuals.

But it'll be great for web surfing and watching video.

illicium

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
I guess you guys might be right. I haven't really had anything to compare to because most of my friends have an iPhone or BB, so the current display SEEMS fine to me.

You are also correct about Opera being unreadable zoomed all the way out. I deleted it the same day I downloaded it because of this, even tho I did like some of its other features.

illicium

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
MassiveAttack: Yes yes I know, everyone seems to come on here and complain about something. But I must be the exception. I don't have a zillion posts on here, but I don't think any are complaints. Mostly questions for help, etc. Although not always perfect, I generally have enjoyed all of my Apple products over the last 20 years. :D

kdarling

macrumors P6
As others have commented, the iPhone resolution looks fine until you use other devices with 800x480 or more. Then the difference is quite apparent.

On the Apple devices, I can actually see each pixel. On the higher res devices, I cannot. Photos look much better and even tiny text is easy to read.

It's like going from regular TV to HDTV. Once you've viewed the latter, it's tough to go back.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Perhaps it's possible that Apple will introduce Resolution Independence on the iPhone OS. That'll take care of all the differing resolutions. And since the screen is the same size (physically), things shouldn't visibly pixellate.

If Apple releases the iPhone in 960x640, then all Apple would have to do is implement automatic 2x (like on the iPad) on all apps.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
I do somethinks that the iPhone resolution stinks. Try some WVGA phones and then revert back to your iPhone, then you'll realize the need for a higher resolution screen. It's not that the iPhone resolution awful, it's just that a higher resolution is really nice when you have it.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Perhaps it's possible that Apple will introduce Resolution Independence on the iPhone OS. That'll take care of all the differing resolutions. And since the screen is the same size (physically), things shouldn't visibly pixellate.

If Apple releases the iPhone in 960x640, then all Apple would have to do is implement automatic 2x (like on the iPad) on all apps.

Resolution independence is an idea. I would hope this is what they shoot for.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Resolution independence is an idea. I would hope this is what they shoot for.

I assume this would work with UI elements from iPhone OS but wouldn't it mean games with 2d assets designed for the lower resolution screens would still need to be stretched? Games with 2D sprites for instance.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
I assume this would work with UI elements from iPhone OS but wouldn't it mean games with 2d assets designed for the lower resolution screens would still need to be stretched? Games with 2D sprites for instance.

Well, at worst they'd look like they would on the standard iPhone screen. I'm assuming that the developers who created the game likely created the artwork and UI at higher-than-iPhone resolutions and then downscaled them, so in many cases it's possible they could just swap out the necessary resources. But who knows.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Well, at worst they'd look like they would on the standard iPhone screen. I'm assuming that the developers who created the game likely created the artwork and UI at higher-than-iPhone resolutions and then downscaled them, so in many cases it's possible they could just swap out the necessary resources. But who knows.

That is a good thought. I'm sure a few games will be upscaled but the rest will probably be updated (as you just said) to take advantage of any higher resolution.

I can't wait to see the official specs of the thing! :cool:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

"Stretched" isn't really right in this case.

If you have 1 pixel of black on the old phone then on the new phone that would be a square of 4 black pixels...which forms a square the same size as 1 pixel on the old phone. So...not much change, really!

So, honestly, apps should look the same on the new iPhone right from day 1!

What you'll notice right away is that text is sharper and photos have more detail (if they're larger than 480x320, that is) but your old programs won't really look much different at all.

Some of them will clearly upgrade to have higher resolution and then they'll look better, but they'll look the same to start with. Not worse or stretched or anything like that.

It's why the new phone has 4x the pixels. Maybe 3x would be cheaper or maybe 6 times would look better...but only 4x gives this ability to just work out right mathamatically.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
"Stretched" isn't really right in this case.

If you have 1 pixel of black on the old phone then on the new phone that would be a square of 4 black pixels...which forms a square the same size as 1 pixel on the old phone. So...not much change, really!

So, honestly, apps should look the same on the new iPhone right from day 1!

What you'll notice right away is that text is sharper and photos have more detail (if they're larger than 480x320, that is) but your old programs won't really look much different at all.

Some of them will clearly upgrade to have higher resolution and then they'll look better, but they'll look the same to start with. Not worse or stretched or anything like that.

It's why the new phone has 4x the pixels. Maybe 3x would be cheaper or maybe 6 times would look better...but only 4x gives this ability to just work out right mathamatically.

That makes sense. Interesting stuff, thanks! :D

army91c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
Wow never thought some one would question having a better screen. I for one am stoked.... can't wait for it to come out.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

Anyone have a good idea of how development is done for iPhone apps? Maybe apps during development aren't based on specific resolution/pixels, but simply rather by aspect ratio of the screen, and the app made up of text, icons, objects, graphics, etc that are vector based (or something similar). I would think that when compiling the app after its complete it is made specifically for 320x480, so maybe with the SDK after a new iPhone is released, apps can be compiled for multiple resolutions..

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Why is this? I have never looked at my 3G and thought, man this resolution stinks.
I have. It's not that the current resolution is terrible, it is simply that I would love to have more information visible onscreen at once, as this would reduce the need to scroll.

One thing that I don't understand about the prototype iPhone HD "leak" is: why would Apple move to a physically smaller, but higher resolution screen? Why not use a 4" screen with a 960*540 res?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.