Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrlandoTragic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
My gf and I have a shared plan (both have iPhones).. can I simply add the 3G iPad package to that account?

Would be easier to just have everything in one place.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Unfortunately, no.

I feel the same way. My business actually pays my wireless bill, and I wanted to tack it on to that. But, no it’s pre-paid only.

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
There is absolutely no point in doing that. The 3G iPad is prepaid so it will not coincide with your post paid account. You can turn the 3G service on and off whenever you want.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
There is absolutely no point in doing that. The 3G iPad is prepaid so it will not coincide with your post paid account. You can turn the 3G service on and off whenever you want.

No point, huh?

1) Corporate/business reasons (as I mentioned above), not everyone has access to a company credit card or gets reimbursed for charges on a personal one

2) Convenience

3) Pre-paid vs. revolving account

Once the 3G gets launched, AT&T will do something. You can’t target corporate customers (like sales reps.) if the iPad 3G data plan can’t be attached to a corporate account.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
No point, huh?

1) Corporate/business reasons (as I mentioned above), not everyone has access to a company credit card or gets reimbursed for charges on a personal one

2) Convenience

Once the 3G gets launched, AT&T will do something. You can’t target corporate customers (like sales reps.) if the iPad 3G data plan can’t be attached to a corporate account.

the price is already half would it should be. how about they give you the 60 dollar price then let you use you 5% discount?

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
My take is that it is because it is not a traditional "account" that you will pay after usage. You are paying up-front with either a credit card or a debit card. This allows them to sell the 3G to anyone regardless of their credit history. As long as they have a way to pay they can use the service. I'm curious to know if you'll even see a statement at the end of the cycle--you may not. Instead you may get an e-mailed receipt at the time of purchasing each month and that's it.

whistler222

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
the price is already half would it should be. how about they give you the 60 dollar price then let you use you 5% discount?

How does this post make any sense relative to what was originally posted?

no one's asking for a DISCOUNT.

They're saying the corporate account = company paid
If personal account = many company won't pay

it's not the 5% discount people care about.

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
I kinda like that it is going to be separate, because if it were part of my regular account I may forget to turn off the service or to change to another plan.

For business use, there is no reason a corporate credit card could not be used. If someone doesn't have one and has to use a personal card and then ask for reimbursement I can see how someone with a company-paid cell phone would not like it, but it is not a cell-phone. Do not business travelers have to claim reimbursement on wifi-charges in hotels and airports? How is it any different?

JonboyDC

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2004
There hasn't been any discussion of corporate pricing or corporate plans for iPad 3G data. I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T doesn't make something available. I suspect it will depend on them getting a few inquiries from corporate customers before they figure out that a pre-paid plan doesn't work in that situation.

nj-mac-user

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
TX

I don't think they're intending on targeting business customers. Even so, it may make more sense in other situations where a business customer can actually use the service if needed because their company doesn't want to pay for it.

Aduntu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
No point, huh?

2) Convenience

You have heard of expense reports, haven't you?

And don't give me some excuse why they won't reimburse you because that's just retarded.

If it's still a problem, just pay the stupid $15-30.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
You have heard of expense reports, haven't you?

And don't give me some excuse why they won't reimburse you because that's just retarded.

If it's still a problem, just pay the stupid $15-30.

It takes time to be reimbursed. It requires more paperwork to be reimbursed. It can be a hassle to be reimbursed.

Adding the 3G iPad to a corporate at&t account will be possible at some point. I highly doubt they will force all users to be prepaid when businesses will want to add them to their accounts.

Bierp

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2010
Can you call AT&T and ask them?

You can, but the answer is definitely no. iPad is fully prepaid and will not attach to any existing billing.

Will this change someday? Who knows, but that's a for sure right now.

B

Greatwebguy

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2011
not completely true

We had two that arrived on my desk at work with 3G service activated on arrival, the cellular data area is not even accessible from the device.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
As you might expect, things have changed some in the eleven months since the previous posts on this thread. It can be helpful to check the posting date before replying.... :)

ghostlyorb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
Virginia, USA
That would be cool for a lot of people. But since they give you the option of month to month... yeah. They should give you the option for both though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.