Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rileyb76

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
Hey guys,
Occassionally I'll see some iphones at pawn shops for sale. I currently have a non-jailbroken and non-unlocked 3G and would love to upgrade to the 3GS until the new iphone gets here this summer. My question is... is there any way to tell the difference physically between a 3G and 3GS? Sometimes, the iphones don't have any battery juice left so I can't tell.

Also, say I did find a 3GS and bought it. Couldn't I just put my SIM from my 3G to a new 3GS and it work instantly, or is the SIM somehow tied to the iphone? And yes, I do pay AT&T for data.

Thanks for the input.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
The only physical difference I could think of is the writing on the back of the iPhone. on the 3G its grey, and on the 3GS its chrome/metallic looking like the Apple logo. Also, the model no in the writing there should give it away too.

As for the sim, just take your existing sim and pop it in the new phone.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
If you can turn it on then just look for the 'Compass' app and you'll know you have a 3GS.

If you can't turn it on, there's not many easy ways. A 32 GB phone HAS to be a 3GS, but if it's a 16 that doesn't help you. Someone may be able to tell you what the model numbers on the back mean, but I don't know them. With BOTH of those methods, be careful as it's possible to replace the back so someone could be lying to you if you only read the back.

That's why the compass method is best.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
in addition to the compass, check the camera to see if it records video or click the home button three times... if it switches to white on black it's a 3GS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.