Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

truerokr42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
i have a 1st gen ipod mini that im trying to fix.

i first tried to turn it on and nothing happened.

then i tried plugging it into the computer, it didnt register in itunes and the charging symbol froze at the first bar (so its the battery w/ lightning bolt and charged about 1/4 way)

then after about 5 minutes (as i was posting this) the apple logo flashed on the screen for a few seconds, then switched back to the charging.

it just did it again. and it clicked when it did it.

any ideas on how to fix it?

truerokr42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
i have an ipod touch, and my own mini. i just like working on ipods/computers. im trying to fix it for a friend actually hahaha.

OGDaniel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
Arizona
Yeah, sounds like that thing is dead. That little battery can't last forever. Tell your friend to upgrade lol

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
A new battery's a pretty cheap fix to try. Easy too, once you get the case open. Replacing the hard drive in a mini's easy too if that turns out to be the problem.

Either way I expect you'll need a new battery if you do get it fixed, so might as well start there.

truerokr42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
alright thats what i thought too just wasnt sure. i tried plugging it into my stereo overnight and now its working fine pretty much, except the battery is already half dead. so i plugged it into my comp again to add music and after it finished syncing the "do not disconnect" symbol is still flashing. i cant remember cuz i havent used a mini in years, but does that always happen? i dont remember it doing that.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
alright thats what i thought too just wasnt sure. i tried plugging it into my stereo overnight and now its working fine pretty much, except the battery is already half dead. so i plugged it into my comp again to add music and after it finished syncing the "do not disconnect" symbol is still flashing. i cant remember cuz i havent used a mini in years, but does that always happen? i dont remember it doing that.

If disc mode is enabled you have to manually disconnect it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.