Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wandrer2

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
I have tried preview and it doesn't pop the 330m for me. It stays on the Intel graphics chip. Someone else may want to do some more testing. There may be something in there that toggles it based on what it is displaying.

Agreed. Regular PDFs do not seem to trigger the 330m in Preview.

It's been established in several threads that Gmail's voice and video chat plugin causes Firefox and Safari to switch to 330m when gmail is opened.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Am I missing something, or is this thing going to be on most of the time, unless you're really picky/careful about which apps you're using?

530farm

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2010
just installed perian to play the videos i have on my comp on quicktime, and that does NOT use Nvidia discrete, so guess thats a good way to watch videos on battery

La-vida227

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2009
just installed perian to play the videos i have on my comp on quicktime, and that does NOT use Nvidia discrete, so guess thats a good way to watch videos on battery

Thanks! I'm starting to think that apple made some of these programs use discrete graphics on purpose ;)

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
FYI: Photoshop CS4 switches right to the 330M on launch. Good to know my investment isn't going to waste. :D

paintballswimgu

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
nvidia:
ichat video
plex
iphoto
imovie
Adobe Acrobat Professional
iDVD
iWeb
isale

Intel:
flash video in firefox
screensaver
itunes, including videos
microsoft word
preview
garageband
Apple Remote Desktop
Automator

thats all i have right now. But a few apps surprised me

calfan

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2010
i think it's weird that for many of you, Chrome triggers the 330m. It only triggers it for me if I'm running something really intensive, but regular browsing works perfectly.

Also, I believe any PowerPC applications will trigger the 330m. I had Microsoft AU Daemon (for Microsoft Works 2003) trigger the 330m until I closed it.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Looks like I have to get back into the habit of making sure apps are closed if I'm not using them. I've gotten lazy with doing that, but now it looks like even if a Nvidia-running app is just sitting open but idle, the MBP will still use the 330m (and presumably eat up more battery).

axel1111

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2010
Looks like I'm not the only person who wrote a GPU Menulet :p

not trying to start a war here but you were the second one to make a GPU status checker. Bitninja's gfxCardStatus was the first one out and yours came out 4 days later. a little conspicuous if you ask me.

Tegeril

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2004
not trying to start a war here but you were the second one to make a GPU status checker. Bitninja's gfxCardStatus was the first one out and yours came out 4 days later. a little conspicuous if you ask me.

Err ok. I noticed his once I wrote mine. It's not like we're charging for anything. They do appear to be implemented a bit differently and some of the things mine does his did not do until yesterday (and I'm pretty sure mine was automatically updating before his - but that's besides the point). Having never put out anything I'd ever written in Obj-c, since mine was actually working pretty well, I figured I would share.

I'm sorry for stepping on anyone's toes, but really, is this necessary?

Reluctant Adept

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2009
Bringing up the developer documentation within Xcode switches to discrete graphics, which seems a trifle unnecessary. Closing the documentation doesn't switch back - I needed to quit Xcode to return to the Intel GPU.

paintballswimgu

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
Err ok. I noticed his once I wrote mine. It's not like we're charging for anything. They do appear to be implemented a bit differently and some of the things mine does his did not do until yesterday. Having never put out anything I'd ever written in Obj-c, since mine was actually working pretty well, I figured I would share.

I'm sorry for stepping on anyone's toes, but really, is this necessary?

i appriciate both of you guys for making apps. I downloaded the thread starters though, because i liked the graphics instad of letters. :)

Tegeril

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2004
1Password? Why for the graphical shutter they use when starting the app?

Probably. If anything, this change is going to have users pushing for people to use less superfluous graphics in their applications.

xjames

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
Brazil
UPDATE:
I've written an menulet application that will notify you of which GPU is currently in use. I've tested it on my 17" MBP with success, and put in some fallbacks in case people try to run it on unsupported systems (there are ATI/Unknown icons). You can set it to run at startup, and it will also auto update.

page2-1003-full.jpg

Download Here
Visit the site

Nice! Thanks!!

Now, I'm just curious: What are the 3 icons to the right of your adium in your menubar? I'm always interested in what cool apps are out there that I don't know...

which gives me an idea for a new thread...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.