Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JHall651

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
Ok so first I would like to say that I had this problem for about a day and looked all over the internet for answer. I found one solution to another and some were down right silly. Just to let everyone know I have an iMac 27 2.8 quad core. I finally worked through the trials and tribulations of actually getting Win7 installed and when it booted up I had no sound. From what I have read online many people are having this problem. A quick way to tell if you are having the same problem I was is if you look at the back of you iMac 27 and notice a red light coming out of your mini jack port. If so this is what you need to do. I went into device management (in windows 7) and uninstalled the two drivers that were under my sound device. After that I inserted the Snow Leopard Disc and I right clicked and Opened it (not run it). Went under the drivers area and loaded the vista64 realtec drivers. After the installation I rebooted and noticed that the red light was no longer on in the back and the sound worked. Hope this works.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
the fact that windows 7 isnt supported by apple probably is an indicator why the sound is not working. :( sucks but what can you do?

are you playing sound via optical or analogue?

JHall651

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
No, I am playing sound through the iMac speakers just like on the mac side. Hence the purpose of this thread. I understand that Apple is not supporting Win7 100% yet but that does not mean you cannot have it installed and run correctly if you know how to manually fix the problem.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
No, I am playing sound through the iMac speakers just like on the mac side. Hence the purpose of this thread. I understand that Apple is not supporting Win7 100% yet but that does not mean you cannot have it installed and run correctly if you know how to manually fix the problem.

i wonder why there is even a problem. the differences between vista and win7 are pretty minimal in terms of installation processes. surely installing the bootcamp drivers hasnt changed :confused:

glad to know that it works.

davemccr

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2009
I have tried this several times to no avail, I still can't get sound to work. Anyone else had success?

davemccr

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2009
Still no sound

So, I have successfully installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with almost everything working except for the sound. I have taken the advice above, uninstalled the sound drivers installed in device manager, and have tried to install the iMac 27" restore CD drivers, The Snow Leopard DVD Drivers, as well as downloading the drivers from realtek.

Each time, after restart, windows reinstalls the same generic windows drivers. What am I doing wrong?

On another note, the sound does work through my USB Logitec Headset.

Stumped and looking for answers,
Dave

i5, quad-core, 8gig ram 1tb hd.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I just installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64 tonight on my mid-2009 24" iMac (2.93 model) and the installation went flawlessly (using Bootcamp 3 - Snow Leopard).

But, as with the OP, no sound here neither and of course I couldn't run the BootCamp update from the disk - said something like 64bit Windows isn't supported on this machine. So I just went into Device Manager, right-clicked the HD Audio (under sound) and clicked "Uninstall" which removed the driver and disabled the sound (red 'x' through the speaker in taskbar).

I then put in the Snow Leopard disk, went to the Drivers sub-folder under the BootCamp folder and ran the Realtek driver .exe and it installed fine. Restarted and I now have sound working. I restarted several times and did a few things playing around for the past three hours and it's still working great.

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
I actually had the same problem at first with WinXP and the 27" iMac. I had to go into the sound system and select the Cirrus audio output device, not the Ati output device.

However I am finding the sound very tinny, it's like the bass isn't turned on (same problem as current 13" MBP's). Sounds great in OS X though

justaregularjoe

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2008
[EDIT]

Wow, I was in a bad mood. Sorry to those who read that. I honestly do not remeber posting that. Yikes. Changing Nicotine patch...

But avoid the caps ;)

Looks like MrCheeto has the solution. Endorsed by Twitter and Youtube. Good Luck!

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Quoted

As a contributing member of these forums I find that I am obligated to share my resolution to this issue in the case that people are still having the issue or will refer to these forums in the future. Thanks very much, but after looking through a dozen of similar threads that were of no help I hope that this does not dissapoint.

I simply updated to the latest version of Bootcamp, currently version 2.2, which specifically offers a patch for this issue.

Click to Download from Apple.com

CTeditor

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2009
same problem, resolved

ATC you saved me, I have the same imac, and installed windows 7 pro 64bit yesterday, and had no sound, also the SL disk wouldn't work cos of no support for 64bit.

After deleting the windows drivers and installing the realtek ones off the SL disk, i had sound. But I have a firewire interface that I want to use which is connected to studio speakers. When I installed that it still wouldn't work, until I disabled the realtek drivers and rebooted, and now its working through my external speakers :)

I didn't delete the realtek drivers, just disabled them, I don't know if it'll still work if I delete so I'll just leave it as is.

Also, in device manager there was a ! simbol telling me the SL drivers were not installed, so I checked the properties and clicked update and told it to search through the bootcamp folder on the SL disk, and that installed the Nvidia drivers and a bunch of other stuff.

Only other thing I'm wondering about is how to get the mac short cut keys to work e.g. the eject, screen brightness and audio level keys

Do you guys have them working?

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
ATC you saved me, I have the same imac, and installed windows 7 pro 64bit yesterday, and had no sound, also the SL disk wouldn't work cos of no support for 64bit.

After deleting the windows drivers and installing the realtek ones off the SL disk, i had sound. But I have a firewire interface that I want to use which is connected to studio speakers. When I installed that it still wouldn't work, until I disabled the realtek drivers and rebooted, and now its working through my external speakers :)

I didn't delete the realtek drivers, just disabled them, I don't know if it'll still work if I delete so I'll just leave it as is.

Also, in device manager there was a ! simbol telling me the SL drivers were not installed, so I checked the properties and clicked update and told it to search through the bootcamp folder on the SL disk, and that installed the Nvidia drivers and a bunch of other stuff.

Only other thing I'm wondering about is how to get the mac short cut keys to work e.g. the eject, screen brightness and audio level keys

Do you guys have them working?

I just install BC 3.0 from SL by browsing to the Bootcamp directory and manually running setup. It installs all the drivers and all the Fn keys work in Win7. I also manually downloaded the latest mobile nvidia drivers for Windows 7 (32 bit or 64bit depending on your install - I have both (32bit on uMBP and 64bit on iMac)) and the install worked flawlessly. Boosted the Win7 experience rating for the GPU and got rid of artifacts in some of my games.

Cheers,

CTeditor

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2009
I just install BC 3.0 from SL by browsing to the Bootcamp directory and manually running setup. It installs all the drivers and all the Fn keys work in Win7. I also manually downloaded the latest mobile nvidia drivers for Windows 7 (32 bit or 64bit depending on your install - I have both (32bit on uMBP and 64bit on iMac)) and the install worked flawlessly. Boosted the Win7 experience rating for the GPU and got rid of artifacts in some of my games.

I tried browsing to the Bootcamp folder and run setup but got the same message that it's not supported. Also went online and did the windows update which I believe stuffed up my audio interface, it keeps cutting out. If I play a track in media player it'll play for a bit then eventually stop at any random point, then there is no audio at all in windows and all the play/pause/rewind buttons stop working in media player. Until I reboot and the audio might work for a while and then cut out again.
I couldn't figure out why it was happening so I tried switching to the 32bit, which installed fine. I did the windows update and put the SL disk in and everything went fine. But again when I tried my audio interface it would cut out.

So I'm going back to 64bit but without the updates this time, see if that satisfies me

Any news on these bootcamp updates yet?

Also what happens if I don't activate, and if do activate and have to format my computer at some point I wouldn't be able to activate again would I?

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
snip

Also what happens if I don't activate, and if do activate and have to format my computer at some point I wouldn't be able to activate again would I?

Usually get a second activation w/o trouble. After that you have to use the automated phone bit. As long as it's not frequent, it activates every time.

Cheers,

StackAV

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2010
New Bern, NC
Sorry to bring this thread back to life as my first post, but I think I may have something new...

No sound, but here's what's happening:

New 27" iMac Ci7 ... took delivery of it about two weeks ago (only unpacked it on March 10th.) Mac-side, everything is amazing... worth every penny. So I wanted XP on bootcamp to run one game and an older version of Photoshop. Once I read the instructions, setting up Boot Camp went pretty smooth (partitioned at 200gig.) Everything seemed to be going great, til I realized I had no sound, like many others.

But here are some things that I think are unique to my situation:
  • All hardware and drivers seemed to install correctly
  • Sound devices show up in device manager with no warnings
  • I've reinstalled and upgraded to the latest versions of Boot Camp and Service Pack 3
  • I've run dxdiag, and I actually GET the sound sample when testing under the 'Music' tab>HD Audio
  • I've installed new Realtek drivers using the above link (and others)
  • I've tried the headphone jack trick found in other threads, no luck
  • Sound does NOT come through a USB nor 1/8" jack headset
  • I've talked with Apple service... they're not sure what's happening
  • My last resort is to start over and re-partition, re-install XP & Boot Camp... which I REALLY don't want to do

Another weird thing: after installing new Realtek drivers the first time, when Windows closed to restart I was teased ever-so-cruelly by hearing the Windows Closing sound (which I had not heard before on other restarts)... only to be disappointed again with no sound upon startup.

Desperate for sound on XP

Stacy

Shpenza

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
Barcelona
Ok so first I would like to say that I had this problem for about a day and looked all over the internet for answer. I found one solution to another and some were down right silly. Just to let everyone know I have an iMac 27 2.8 quad core. I finally worked through the trials and tribulations of actually getting Win7 installed and when it booted up I had no sound. From what I have read online many people are having this problem. A quick way to tell if you are having the same problem I was is if you look at the back of you iMac 27 and notice a red light coming out of your mini jack port. If so this is what you need to do. I went into device management (in windows 7) and uninstalled the two drivers that were under my sound device. After that I inserted the Snow Leopard Disc and I right clicked and Opened it (not run it). Went under the drivers area and loaded the vista64 realtec drivers. After the installation I rebooted and noticed that the red light was no longer on in the back and the sound worked. Hope this works.

Hi There,
I have just installed Windows 7 on bootcamp and this is what i have done and everything is working just fine.
After a finished installing Windows 7, i put in the OS X install disk and ran the bootcamp update installer that it has.
The installer updates all the drivers, chpset, etc....of the iMAC and you reboot, when it came back, sound was ok with keyboard control etc...

If you havent tried it allready, give it a shoot and tell me if it worked.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
Hi There,
I have just installed Windows 7 on bootcamp and this is what i have done and everything is working just fine.
After a finished installing Windows 7, i put in the OS X install disk and ran the bootcamp update installer that it has.
The installer updates all the drivers, chpset, etc....of the iMAC and you reboot, when it came back, sound was ok with keyboard control etc...

If you havent tried it allready, give it a shoot and tell me if it worked.

Did you then run "Apple Software Update" to download the current BootCamp Driver Vsn 3.1 (found in the Windows 7 programs menu) to ensure all apple drivers are then bank up-to-date? The ones on the disc are the previous version.

Shpenza

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
Barcelona
Did you then run "Apple Software Update" to download the current BootCamp Driver Vsn 3.1 (found in the Windows 7 programs menu) to ensure all apple drivers are then bank up-to-date? The ones on the disc are the previous version.

Nope, havent installed any update since i used my OS X install disk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.