Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello. I have seen videos on replacing the superdrive of the old MBP. Can't find anything about the new one. Is it as simple as removing the screws at the bottom, take out the bottom case and unplug the interface cable? If I take out the superdrive myself and replace it with something else, will I break the warranty? Thanks.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Hello. I have seen videos on replacing the superdrive of the old MBP. Can't find anything about the new one. Is it as simple as removing the screws at the bottom, take out the bottom case and unplug the interface cable? If I take out the superdrive myself and replace it with something else, will I break the warranty? Thanks.

Look at this iFixIt teardown:
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Pro-17-Inch-Unibody-Teardown/618/1

And pretty much don't do the parts that says remove HDD, battery, motherboard, etc; only the ones relevant to the optical drive.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Thanks for the replies. I know about iFixit. The one posted on their site is the old MBP. As far as I know, there are some differences between the old and the just released models. For example, it was very easy to for the users to replace the keys/keyboard of the old model. As for the just release model, one has to take out all the internal parts. To replace the keyboard means replacing the upper case as well.

The new machine came with a SuperDrive which can play my DVDs for only five times due to region code restriction. That is the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.