Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phillyred79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
So in anticipation of getting a 3g iPad today I synced up my Wifi iPad to iTunes on my MBP and went through steps I was prompted to do for a back up of my iPad and it's apps.. So after it said completed I went to do a fresh restore to see how easily it would be to start with a fresh iPad and sync up all my previous apps.. So after the restore completed I did a new sync/back up from my previous one a POOF no iPad apps... Not sure where I went wrong, but the question is how do I recover my apps that I purchased?? They aren't on my MBP..

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
No big deal, just a PITA. Unlike songs you can re-download apps at no charge as long as you know the apps you paid for -- should have rec'd an email rec't from the App Store.

Tulipone

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2009
Huntingdon UK
So in anticipation of getting a 3g iPad today I synced up my Wifi iPad to iTunes on my MBP and went through steps I was prompted to do for a back up of my iPad and it's apps.. So after it said completed I went to do a fresh restore to see how easily it would be to start with a fresh iPad and sync up all my previous apps.. So after the restore completed I did a new sync/back up from my previous one a POOF no iPad apps... Not sure where I went wrong, but the question is how do I recover my apps that I purchased?? They aren't on my MBP..

Sorry, my only suggestion would be to redownload the Apps - they should be free through the account that you purchased them through.

Chris

phillyred79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
Ok, thanks! Is there a way to request your old receipts since I foolishly deleted them as I received them??
Sorry, my only suggestion would be to redownload the Apps - they should be free through the account that you purchased them through.

Chris

tacoshell

Contributor
Oct 9, 2008
Ok, thanks! Is there a way to request your old receipts since I foolishly deleted them as I received them??

Would be nice if there was a list somewhere. I download universal apps or iPad apps I get a code for at work. I then re download them directly to my iPad when I get home.
As for your issue, do a search on your computer for *.ipa If you find the files somewhere, as they might be somewhere, just dump them into iTunes and you can resync them.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
As far as I know if you go into iTunes and click on your account and goto purchase history you may be able to track them down...not sure how far it goes back though.

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
I think it goes all the way, for Apps. I remember looking at that information and I saw my very first iPhone app purchases, which were pretty much done within the first days the App Store opened.

rpe94

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
Digital Copy lost

I did the same thing. I synced the iPad, then restored it, only to find out that when I synced again, everything was gone from iTunes. How do I back up apps and files, so that they are always at the iTunes site - or in the application on my PC? Do I have to somehow move them into a "Library"? How do I do that?

Also, I lost a digital copy of a Blu-Ray DVD I had purchased. The code can't be reused. How do I get it back onto the iPad. The whole reason I had to do a restore is because the Digital Copy froze up my video app, and it wasn't working anymore (the video app on the home screen).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
If you have been backing up your Mac with Time Machine, or to the cloud (ex: Crashplan+), you should be able to retrieve them. They will be located in:
~/Music/Itunes/Itunes Media/Mobile Applications.

/Jim

rpe94

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
I sync my Ipad to a PC. I didn't backup the PC. So, I don't know where the Digital Copy went, or why it crashed the Video app on the iPad.

How do I move items from the iPad to the Library, to make sure they are always there if I need to restore them to the iPad?

Thank you, again.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I sync my Ipad to a PC. I didn't backup the PC. So, I don't know where the Digital Copy went, or why it crashed the Video app on the iPad.

How do I move items from the iPad to the Library, to make sure they are always there if I need to restore them to the iPad?

Thank you, again.

Your files and applications automatically copy to your computer every time you sync your device.

I find the best way to conceptualize the process is to understand that your files always live on your computer... not your iPad (or iPhone). The files on your iPad are just copies of what "lives" on your computer.

The exception to the above is when you buy something, or create something on your iPad. However, that is temporary because the data should automatically move to your computer during your syncs.

My suggestion going forward: Sync your iPad to your computer regularly... and have a good automatic backup strategy for your computer. Once you do this, you never worry about your data being lost again.

/Jim

rpe94

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
So if my iPad files reside on my PC, how do I go about finding where a Digital Copy of a DVD resides? It's no longer on my iPad. When I run the Video app, it states I have no video files in my library.

I had to search *.ipa to find my Apps on the PC, which I just copied and pasted over to my "Library" section of iTunes. I'm trying to find where the digital copy of a movie from a DVD resides.

Thank you.

Noah22

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2011
I did the same thing due to some network issues (I thought). Fortunately, before I did anything, I took screen shots with all the apps shown. That helped the process of re-downloading the apps and, in the process, I reorganized some apps, left other off, etc.

It would be nice (and it can't be difficult for Apple to do) to allow you to see all your downloads from the app store and make the Restore process less of a pain-in-the-butt.

I wonder how difficult the migration to an iPad2 will be...

ajones12

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2011
Your files and applications automatically copy to your computer every time you sync your device.

I find the best way to conceptualize the process is to understand that your files always live on your computer... not your iPad (or iPhone). The files on your iPad are just copies of what "lives" on your computer.

The exception to the above is when you buy something, or create something on your iPad. However, that is temporary because the data should automatically move to your computer during your syncs.

My suggestion going forward: Sync your iPad to your computer regularly... and have a good automatic backup strategy for your computer. Once you do this, you never worry about your data being lost again.

/Jim

i'm new to all the apple stuff - if i am doing a manual sync, does that mean the ipad doesn't back up automatically each time i plug it in? Is there a way of doing a back up manually which doesn't involve syncing everything from itunes? it crashed the other day which was rather upsetting

thanks, AL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.