Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewtypeCJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2005
Seattle, WA
OK. So I just signed up for the AT&T 3G data plan on the iPad about 90 minutes ago. When I view account details it says everything's in order, and there's 0 of 250 MB used. However when I go into ANY app that tries to use data it pops up a dialogue box "There is no data remaining on your current plan. Would you like to add more data now? If you don't add now, you can do it later in Settings."

When I click "Now" it brings up the cellular settings which show 0 of 250MB used. But no app will actually use anything. Anyone else getting that or am I alone? :(

I should say I used maybe about 1 MB total (according to the settings - I synced my email accounts). So it *was* working. Now it won't.

Jocko

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2007
I'm getting that too. I signed up for unlimited plan. I tried the reboot as well.

I've been operating under the assumption that it's due to AT&T's system being overloaded. I'll keep going with that line of thought until I discover otherwise.

IrishTiger

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Did you get the pop up saying your att activation was successful? It could be that perhaps the charge didn't go through on your card too. Check that. If all else fails - call the evil empire.

NewtypeCJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2005
Seattle, WA
Did you get the pop up saying your att activation was successful? It could be that perhaps the charge didn't go through on your card too. Check that. If all else fails - call the evil empire.

The charge is indeed on my credit card and yes I did get the pop up saying the AT&T activation was successful.

Jocko

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2007
I don't recall if I got that popup or not. I called AT&T (and to their credit, I got through to someone right away) and they said everything looks fine as far as my data plan and being charged and such. They said someone will call me back within an hour once they figure out the issue on their end.

marlys

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2009
Settings vs Browser

I opted to get unlimited data, and did it through the Settings app. But when I went to the app store / itunes store, it gave me a similar message. I couldn't figure out what was up, but I got another message from AT&T through a popup when I tried to access a website in Safari, and that time, my purchase "stuck."

Edit - looking at my bank account, I got a second charge -- for $0.00. Strange. But anyway, the dollars and cents appear to have worked out.

Jocko

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2007
My 3G started working randomly. AT&T called back a little while later to see if everything was working. They didn't say exactly what the problem is but it sounded like it was related to the sheer number of people activating today. At least it sounds like it's a minority of us that are having trouble.

NewtypeCJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2005
Seattle, WA
AT&T helped me out as well. Dunno what the problem was but after I gave them my device number they were able to sort it.

brianhn1

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2008
I haven't activated yet... now I'm worried. Maybe those still having issues can post their locations? I'm wondering if this is regional, or indeed a national problem.

Hmm...

Actually started working an hour after I posted. Guess it was some bug in AT&Ts activation thing.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I'm sure its a temporary glitch sort of thing.....likely with AT&T's billing mechanism.

I'm curious....has AT&T ever offered any data plans that are month-to-month prior to this one?

gwerhart0800

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
Loveland, CO
I have wondered if the whole delay thing for the 3G iPad launch was because AT&T needed the time to get their act together. You have to know that their billing systems are poorly done when they can't show you data usage on your cell phone account if you may *any* changes to your plan until the next billing cycle starts. The first time I saw that, I realized that the AT&T blling systems were probably written in COBOL in 1985.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
FYI, activated mine around 8:00 ET, no problems. Got the popup about 30 seconds later. For those that wondered, in case there is still any doubt, I had WiFi turned off, and it all worked, of course.

As was assumed, glitches were AT&T's overloaded servers. To be expected with who knows how many thousands being activated the same day, many (store purchased) at the same approximate time... Speaking of which, I've not seen any numbers yet for for first day 3G sales/preorder.

blewbot

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2011
AT&T fixed

AT&T had me reset network settings and that worked for me.

Settings
General
Reset
Reset network settings

Pinksteady

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
I get this too in the UK on my iPad mini 3G on GiffGaff (O2). I have over 100Mb data left this month (confirmed on both the giffgaff account page and in the iPad data usage screen), but this morning have started getting warnings on the iPad saying I've run out of data. Weird. Hopefully just a quirk that will pass.

UPDATE: Looks like upgrading to iOS 6.0.2 reset my carrier settings, so I manually entered the custom giffgaff settings and that fixed it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.