Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nakamori

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Hey guys, I have a 1.42ghz MDD PM with a yamaha ypt-300 and a midi/usb cable that supposedly doesn't require any drivers.

The cable shows up in midi audio setup as well as in my usb preferences tab, and garageband says that "1 midi device is connected", but I can't seem to make any sounds through the computer. I try to set up a software instrument but nothing plays. Am I right in assuming that any software instrument should be able to be controlled through the keyboard with no further setup? Any help would be appreciated.

cmccarten

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2006
try messing around with some functions *on* your keyboard. very often you will have to turn the the keyboard's midi send function on. go through the parameters of the keyboard and see if you can change anything that has to do with 'midi'. that's the only thing i can think of.
if the computer recognizes the keyboard, the problem likely lies with the keyboard.

nadinestanifort

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2007
I have the same problem!!!
I have read my keyboards manual and all it says about midi is changing the local settings and the initial setup , and sending initial data. which of course i have tried and has done nothing!!

Dont really know what to do next.

sonarghost

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
hi, i'm using logic pro so im not too sure of how to connect midi instruments to garageband but you may try to play with the midi channel selection within the program itself. Try all of the channels and even the omni/all "channel". Usually this is the problem with the connection with the "sound" comming through to you even if it shows it connected within the program. It's worth a shot.:)

nadinestanifort

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2007
hi, i'm using logic pro so im not too sure of how to connect midi instruments to garageband but you may try to play with the midi channel selection within the program itself. Try all of the channels and even the omni/all "channel". Usually this is the problem with the connection with the "sound" comming through to you even if it shows it connected within the program. It's worth a shot.:)

I'm totally new to garage band, so it could be why, i could be doing something wrong. BUT!, The midi IN and midi OUT1/2 lights on my usb midi interface don't light up at all!.

Even though it says there is a midi input in garage band, which might just be the usb part of the lead lying to it. And saying there is when there's not.

Iv tried everything, i don't know where i can get into more advanced midi settings in garage band.

So i'm tempted to blame the midi interface and take it back. I mean it should work when it was £45.:mad:

kenhoward01

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2009
Yamaha YPT-300 Midi setup on Mac

I've done everything posted (drivers, settings on the keyboard, etc) and can't get this keyboard to work with GarageBand either. Has anyone solved this problem, or is it hopeless?

bigalphillips

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2009
I struggled with this for a while. Solution: Plug the midi cable that is labeled 'in' into the port on the keyboard that says 'out' and vice versa. Doesn't make sense, I know.

smor1297

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
No, it doesn't make sense at all, but I just wanted to confirm that it does in fact work if you swap the in and out and make sure PC mode is off on the keyboard.

nanoboy

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
MIDI USB cable

May I ask what MIDI/USB cable should be used and where to source it from?

I'm a complete novice with this as well.

With the new iLife 11, I thought I'd start picking up my keyboard skill with my old keyboard.

I have a Yamaha PSR-GX76. It has MIDI in and out on the keyboard. So I'm hoping to find a plug and play solution with a cable, without any hassles of drivers etc. if possible.

Thanks in advance.

mirrorbox

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2010
The "Uno - 1-In/1-Out USB Bus-Powered MIDI Interface" works for me. It doesn't require any driver installation at all. Just plug and play. ;)

TheMadHacker

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2011
I'm having the same problem. I have a Yamaha DGX-640 keyboard and recently bought a midi cable with A/B USB input and when I go into GarageBand, it says that I have no keyboard connected to my macbook. I've tried installing a driver from the Yamaha website but it doesn't seem to work. Do I have to format the cable so that it'll work and recognise my keyboard? This would be a lot of help as I am also getting Logic Express.

mackerlite1

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2011
what about the driver?

I have the same problem... have a DGX/505 and got driver from yamaha site.. went directly to the system preferences and tried to open it and got this error message--

You cannot open YAMAHA USB-MIDI Patch preferences because it doesn't work on an Intel-based Mac.

If the keyboard does not work -- what are some of the uses of the usb connection on the keyboard? the yamaha site does not give compatible programs with the mac..

MezicanGangxtah

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2007
Denver,CO
M-audio is crap. The uno didn't work for me and my yamaha psr keyboard either. It seems the drivers on the yamaha keyboards just doesn't play very nice with macs. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Cakewalk-UM-1G-Compact-USB-MIDI-Interface-105346548-i1448467.gc try this interface it's supposed to be really solid and i heard it works with yamaha stuff. I was going to buy it but I dound myself a brand new controller with USB for 10 bucks more on craigslist so I went for that instead. Would still love to know if this interface works with Yamaha's though

pilotkato

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2009
I took the advice on switching the midi in and midi out cables and got mine to work finally after over a year trying to figure out the problem but......now on garageband i can hear all of the different sounds, ie piano synths, electric piano etc but i can't hear ANY of the organs! Please help! I'm using OS X 10.6.5 if that means anything.

Reactions: blakedriver

tonyjwinter

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2011
Working solution for dgx 505 on Mac OS-X Lion+

I know this is an old post but because it took a little digging to find a solution I thoughts I'd make a post for anyone else with this issue.

I have the DGX 505, with Mac running OS X 10.7.x (Lion) and GarageBand.

There doesn't seem to be an OSX 10.7.x driver on the Yamaha website and if you try to use the OS X Tiger version you get an error about 'Intel' chipset not supported.

To remedy this issue I downloaded the OSX 10.7.x driver for the DGX 520.

After doing the setup and ideally restarting the mac, plug in the USB cable to the DGX 505 and Mac. Power up the DGX 505 - you will need to configure the PC Mode to be PC2.

As a quick test you should see under System Preference --> Other --> Yamaha USB-MIDI - under device name the DGX 505 should be shown.

Thankfully the new driver is backward compatible with the older piano.

Last edited:

gregnugget

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2012
Same issue with Yamaha YPG-535

Hello all. We are having a similar issue with our new Yamaha YPG-535 talking to the mac (running on latest version of Lion). I will try reversing the in/out on the 535 to see if that helps. So far, all other attempts to fix have been fruitless.

HughFire

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2012
Yamaha YPG-535 with Intel Mac Garage Band

I downloaded the driver for the DGX 230 which is also a Yamaha Portable Grand and had a driver that worked through Lion. That driver did the trick for me and I was able to load in my piano parts and pads into Garage Band with my YPG-535. I don't know if it has full functionality but it got me what I needed.

The driver link is here.

http://download.yamaha.com/search/d...sset_id=37208&language=en&site=usa.yamaha.com

MarcosLuminos

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2012
Yamaha DGX-505 and OS X LION SOLUTION

Here is the solution to the Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard and OS X LION.

step one connected your keyboard to your Mac

step two go to the screen with all of your applications

Step three locate the utilities folder

Step four locate and click on the audio MIDI application

Step five add new device

Step six make sure all the ports line up with the port that your device is connected to

Step seven choose an icon for your device and designate your device accordingly

Step eight click okay and/or save

Step nine testing your device (make sure your keyboard is connected on and the volume is turned at a moderate level not too loud)

Step A. Locate the icon that says "test set up"

Step B. on your icon in the small window there are two arrows one that goes up and one that goes down

Step C. Click on the arrow pointing up (this should darken the icon)

Step D. click once on the downward arrow you should then hear an abrupt noise

Conclusion...

If all works accordingly then all you need to do now is open up GarageBand or whatever Application you prefer to use.

Enjoy!

mathematrucker

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2010
Laughlin, NV USA
I know this is an old post but because it took a little digging to find a solution I thoughts I'd make a post for anyone else with this issue.

I have the DGX 505, with Mac running OS X 10.7.x (Lion) and GarageBand.

There doesn't seem to be an OSX 10.7.x driver on the Yamaha website and if you try to use the OS X Tiger version you get an error about 'Intel' chipset not supported.

To remedy this issue I downloaded the OSX 10.7.x driver for the DGX 520.

After doing the setup and ideally restarting the mac, plug in the USB cable to the DGX 505 and Mac. Power up the DGX 505 - you will need to configure the PC Mode to be PC2.

As a quick test you should see under System Preference --> Other --> Yamaha USB-MIDI - under device name the DGX 505 should be shown.

Thankfully the new driver is backward compatible with the older piano.

Several years after purchasing it without ever using it, I finally dusted off my DGX-505 yesterday to see if I could hook it up to my current Macbook and maybe record a song.

The OS X Lion driver supplied by Yamaha's website didn't seem to be associated with any specific keyboard model. The various drivers just corresponded to Mac OS versions.

After installing one of these Yamaha-generic, Mac-specific drivers and opening the MIDI Window ("MIDI Studio") in Lion's "Audio Midi Setup" utility, the keyboard played the test tones fine when I clicked the little down arrow beneath the DGX-505 icon. (Little warning: unless you like startling surprises, don't have your Mac's output volume set to max when you do this, especially if your keyboard's volume is also set high!)

At first I couldn't get the keyboard to be recognized by the Mac though, until I came across tonyjwinter's post quoted above. The key to the kingdom is setting the Yamaha to PC2. Doing so allows notes played on the Yamaha to be detected and recorded in GarageBand. Task complete!

Next task is learning how to use both GarageBand and the DGX-505, but that should be comparatively easy: getting computers to talk always seems fraught with difficulty.

evelienen

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2013
Yamaha PSR 175 set-up

hi,

I've tried the steps above, but still nothing.
I don't get any signal on the interface (the leds don't light up)
The cable shows up in midi audio setup, and garageband says that "1 midi device is connected", but I can't seem to make any sounds through the computer. I try to set up a software instrument but nothing plays.

I've installed the ubs midi driver V131...

Do I have to create a new instrument if the interface is already showing up? If I do this I can't select ubs as input, it just says gate 1 & midi in: 1 and midi out:2

help please?

thanks

renatacgelinas

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2014
open garage band

connect and turn on your keyboard

put new project

select keyboard collection-then create

the go to the top left corner where it says garage band and select preferences

in audio/midi select audio Output-Built-in Output

play :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.