Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
http://modmyi.com/forums/ipad-news/708414-mod-t-sim-work-ipad-3g.html

Once you cut your iPhone SIM (by tracing the size of the iPad microSIM), you have to go into Settings->Cellular Data->APN Settings and change the APN to phone (instead of broadband as is the default)

It apparently fits back together like a puzzle piece so you can put it back into your iPhone without a problem. Pretty slick.

445519d1272648250-mod-t-sim-work-ipad-3g-photo-7.jpg

445520d1272648250-mod-t-sim-work-ipad-3g-photo-2-3.jpg

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
How awesome would it be if they could get this thing to make/receive phone calls and be able to use a Bluetooth earphone with it? That would rock! :D

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Thank you, sir for posting this link. You have helped answer one of the greatest questions which has lingered since the iPad was announced. Now, we just need confirmation (through the use of a T-mobile since to access EDGE) that the iPad is 100%, Absolutely, whole-heartedly unlocked ... utterly.

It's not that I don't trust Steve ... but he is sometimes carefully with how things are said and I see places where he could use loopholes.

MiguelS

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2010
San Jose
How awesome would it be if they could get this thing to make/receive phone calls and be able to use a Bluetooth earphone with it? That would rock! :D

that will happen soon....

would be awesome if MagicJack would make an app. :)

hopefully the sims won't get married through sw.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
OK, but now that your iPhone SIM is cut down how do you use your iPhone? What am I missing here?

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
you have to go into Settings->Cellular Data->APN Settings and change the APN to phone (instead of broadband as is the default)

This potentially great news for those of us that are waiting for the iPhone 4G!

Unless like some are suggesting that Apple or AT&T may lock the iPhone microSim or this work around out at some point....

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
OK, but now that your iPhone SIM is cut down how do you use your iPhone? What am I missing here?

You put it back into the space you cut out and put the whole business back into the iPhone.

Personally I just ordered the microSIM adapter and I'm going to go to the AT&T store to pick up a new SIM card; then I'll change the SIM card on my iPhone to the microSIM and use the adapter.

Of course the only reason for this is because the unlimited international data plan on the iPhone is only $65 and it's like $200 for 200MB for the iPad.

mayassa

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2008
Makes me wonder if I can use my iPad sim in my iPhone this would be real cheap for a phone plan. I have an extra sim card il report back after I do a little magic with my exacto knife.

marcovortex

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2009
Toronto, ON
Rogers sim works as well..

Also want to confirm that I got my Rogers sim card to work in the iPad no problem after being cut to the right size. So any Canadians wondering if there sims will work, the answer is yes..

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Sounds dangerous, if you try putting the cut apart Micro-SIM (but pieced back togethter to make it a regular SIM) in the iPhone after, you risk getting the SIM card stuck in the slot. I am certain Apple/AT&T would not appreciate your warranty request either.

mayassa

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2008
Makes me wonder if I can use my iPad sim in my iPhone this would be real cheap for a phone plan. I have an extra sim card il report back after I do a little magic with my exacto knife.

Ok that's ten minutes of my life I'll never get back. It didn't work.

mayassa

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2008
Sounds dangerous, if you try putting the cut apart Micro-SIM (but pieced back togethter to make it a regular SIM) in the iPhone after, you risk getting the SIM card stuck in the slot. I am certain Apple/AT&T would not appreciate your warranty request either.

Tape it on to the sim. Live a little ;)

peestandingup

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2006
You can. Link. But you'll never be able to make "regular" calls in an iPad because there's no cell radio built into them.

BTW, a better/cheaper solution would be to cancel your iPhone plan, get the $30 iPad data plan & use the iPad's micro-SIM in an adapter like this in your iPhone. Then switch back & forth when needed.

You could get your calls through a SIP application on both devices.

cheekyjeremy

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2009
Forgive me if this is really obvious, but what is the benefit of cutting down your sim to become a mini sim ?. What does this get you that you couldn't have other ways

sactownbwoy

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2008
Forgive me if this is really obvious, but what is the benefit of cutting down your sim to become a mini sim ?. What does this get you that you couldn't have other ways

The iPad uses a micro sim, so you cut your iPhone sim to fit the iPad and can use that instead of paying for another data plan.

p-rice

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Las Vegas
You can. Link. But you'll never be able to make "regular" calls in an iPad because there's no cell radio built into them.

I may be wrong but isn't the 3G chip basically "cell radio"? I'm thinking the only thing stopping the iPad from making calls is lack of the actual phone app. That is if you use your cut iPhone's sim card in it and not the built in sim card/plan.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
Of course the only reason for this is because the unlimited international data plan on the iPhone is only $65 and it's like $200 for 200MB for the iPad.

Are you talking data? The prices for data are the same. That $200 you speak of.

hariustrk

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2010
that will happen soon....

would be awesome if MagicJack would make an app. :)

hopefully the sims won't get married through sw.

A skype subsciption costs about the same as magic jack, and skype works well on iPad.

SteveWTW

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2010
Does anyone have a tempate of exactly where to cut a regular sim to convert it to a microsim?

I'm planning to do this with my Virgin Media 3G dongle which costs £5 per month for 1Gb for customers.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'm slow today. So basically someone has figured out how to circumvent paying for a second data plan? If I understand this correctly then maybe in due time I'll sell my wifi model and grab a 3G model.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I tried putting the iPad sim inside a 2G and 3G iPhone - neither worked had no way to change the APN to broadband - I was able to put it into a MiFi with no problems

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
I tried putting the iPad sim inside a 2G and 3G iPhone - neither worked had no way to change the APN to broadband - I was able to put it into a MiFi with no problems

iPhone is LOCKED device and the only way to enable the "APN Settings" to show on there is to jailbreak the phone + Unlock it... iPad is unlocked from factory...

CMIIW :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.