Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr Dobey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
I am using an external Blu-Ray Drive that uses two USB connection to get sufficient power. The problem is I've now tried 2 USB hubs (both plug into the wall) and neither of them can provide enough juice to power the drive. So I'm stuck using up both my USB ports on my MacBook Pro every time I want to use a Blu-Ray.

Anyone know of a hub that will meet my needs?

Thanks

Rhalliwell1

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
I am using an external Blu-Ray Drive that uses two USB connection to get sufficient power. The problem is I've now tried 2 USB hubs (both plug into the wall) and neither of them can provide enough juice to power the drive. So I'm stuck using up both my USB ports on my MacBook Pro every time I want to use a Blu-Ray.

Anyone know of a hub that will meet my needs?

Thanks

provided you don't plug both into the hub this should work if your other peripherals are not needing a lot of power.

Mr Dobey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
The thing is I would much rather have all my USB devices connected to a 7 port USB hub so I can quickly unplug the hub when I want to bring my laptop somewhere.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I'm resurrecting this thread because I am now having the same issue with my 2011 iMac with a Samsung Bluray writer. I have a 7 port USB router, but the drive will not work with it. It reads slowly and then locks up programs such as dvdfab. I don't have a problem when I use the USB plugs direct however.

The USB hub does use an ac adapter, and all the other devices attached use an ac power plug as well, so I am not sure why I am having power issues.

I thought about plugging one of the two ends of the USB "y" cable into an ac charger (such as powers an iPhone) but the back of my mind says power might travel the wrong way and fry my iMac, so I have been afraid to try so far.

Oh, and the Samsung bluray drive does not have any port to hook up an ac adapter, it only has a mini USB port, and included a y cable with 2 full sized USB plugs on the other end.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Just to update, I got the drive to work using an old 4 port USB hub (with ac power) I had laying around. I guess less ports allows more power to get to each one.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Just to update, I got the drive to work using an old 4 port USB hub (with ac power) I had laying around. I guess less ports allows more power to get to each one.

I was going to suggest a D-link 8 port hub. I dislike anything that sucks juice from a port on any of my Macs....The only exception being the phone dock, because if plugged into an external hub, it refuses to see the backups in iTunes, and tells you to start afresh.

I run a Bamboo tablet, and external DVD burner (Not BR, but that's my next step) and my Roland board using the D-link...It has never failed to provide enough power...Out of curiosity, what make is the BR burner?

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I was going to suggest a D-link 8 port hub. I dislike anything that sucks juice from a port on any of my Macs....The only exception being the phone dock, because if plugged into an external hub, it refuses to see the backups in iTunes, and tells you to start afresh.

I run a Bamboo tablet, and external DVD burner (Not BR, but that's my next step) and my Roland board using the D-link...It has never failed to provide enough power...Out of curiosity, what make is the BR burner?

Samsung SE-506ab/tsbd

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1K6KYMQNKQGHPYZQGD6A

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.