Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bigrahizzle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
I was wondering what would be the best cleaning solution for the screen. I have Monster cleaning kit which I use for my laptop and other screens. I wanna know if anything will damage the olephobic coating on the screen if I use anything other than something dedicated.

Bigrahizzle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Yea that could be used, but sometimes u have to use some kind of solution to get the nasty fingerprints off

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
prod_wipes.jpg

Bigrahizzle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Thanks for letting me know guys. I have already used the supplied SGP cleaner liquid(Came with the screen protector) maybe 4 times already. I hope it didnt damage the screen.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Thanks for letting me know guy. I have already used the supplied SGP cleaner liquid maybe 4 times already. I hope it didnt damage the screen.

I wouldn't worry too much, some people are a bit overcautious when it comes to stuff like this. there are plenty of cleaners on the market that won't affect or damage the coating.

I personally use ShaggyMac's OptiMist Prime with great results.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
No - cleaning solutions can hurt the coating. Apple recommends water. See the manual p. 26.

Yeah, but I have a screen protector on mine for that reason. Water leaves streaks and the factory coating is rather weak sauce fighting finger prints. But I'm sure if Apple re-branded Glass Plus they'd recommend it highly, just as BMW recommends BMW wax.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Stay away from anything ammonia

Stay away from any "Cleaning Solution".

Microfiber is all you need.

nick82

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2010
I believe something I read said that the glass has some sort of coating on it. If so, I wonder if any of the DSLR sensor-cleaning solutions would be good for the iPad?

I figure that they are gentle enough to be used on the sensor glass, which often has a coating as well.

I would be careful about using anything too harsh, such as a household cleaner.

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
What about eyeglass cleaner that my eye doctor gave me for use on my glasses?

My glasses have the anti-glare coating so if it's safe for those is it safe for the iPad?

I'm thinking I'll use it once/week or so, to disinfect.

I smelled it--it does not smell like alcohol at all. It's barely different from water but it is different. I even tasted it. :D

I'm still alive.

Bigrahizzle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
What about eyeglass cleaner that my eye doctor gave me for use on my glasses?

My glasses have the anti-glare coating so if it's safe for those is it safe for the iPad?

I'm thinking I'll use it once/week or so, to disinfect.

I smelled it--it does not smell like alcohol at all. It's barely different from water but it is different. I even tasted it. :D

I'm still alive.

I'd rather be safe than sorry. I just got a small bottle filled it with water and threw it in my lowepro 250 with the microfiber cloth.

lachyg

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010
In Australia one brand makes two glass cleaning cloths. You wet one, and then wipe the screen, then use the other one dry. It cleans it as if it was brand new. I'll have a hunt for the brand name, but I think if you look for a glass cleaning cloth.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I use either one of the cloths that came with my iPhones or the Radtech microfibre cloths that I use on my monitor screens and camera lenses. A little water and a careful wiping with the microfibre cloth and even the worst fingerprints are gone. If I am just out and about a quick swipe of a cloth alone also does the trick.

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
Even with a microfiber cloth and water, be careful when cleaning. Don't just rub hard to get the marks of. If there is any dirt or tiny particles, you can scratch or wear the coating.

The safest method (IMO)
> Wet a microfiber cloth thoroughly, wring out only the excess...it should still be pretty wet
> gently wipe off the screen. This will remove foreign matter that may cause scratches. The water will act as a lubricant to mitigate any scratching.
> follow up with the dry microfiber cloth. Again, gentle pressure but you can use a little more than the previous step

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.