Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
Seriously, photos are not backed up when you back up your iPhone. You must always download your photos if you shut down the auto sync with your photo storage location. This has been the same for 3 generations of iPhone.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
Mine deleted as well. (don't care enough to go see if they were included in my pre jb backup.)

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Seriously, photos are not backed up when you back up your iPhone. You must always download your photos if you shut down the auto sync with your photo storage location. This has been the same for 3 generations of iPhone.

They are if you enable it on the photos tab.

Just like the music tab, Apps tab, ringtones tab.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
Yes they are... They always show up in my camera roll when I restore from backup. Videos too.

NO, they are not:

Backing Up iPhone
iTunes creates backups of settings, downloaded applications and data, and other information on iPhone. You can use a backup to restore these items to your iPhone after a software restore or to transfer the information to another iPhone.

From: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iPhone_User_Guide.pdf

It does NOT back up your photos. If you save your photos to your photo storing application site then when you check photos and sync they will come back. If you do NOT download from the camera roll onto your computer and restore...they are gone forever. They are NOT a part of the iPhone Backup. They are a part of your photo storage application if activated.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
NO, they are not:

Backing Up iPhone
iTunes creates backups of settings, downloaded applications and data, and other information on iPhone. You can use a backup to restore these items to your iPhone after a software restore or to transfer the information to another iPhone.

From: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iPhone_User_Guide.pdf

It does NOT back up your photos. If you save your photos to your photo storing application site then when you check photos and sync they will come back. If you do NOT download from the camera roll onto your computer and restore...they are gone forever. They are NOT a part of the iPhone Backup. They are a part of your photo storage application if activated.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. I've done this multiple times, and with multiple iphones. As long as I restore from the back up of my iphone, all the pictures come back. I never downloaded the photos to my computer myself. I could do it right now if I wanted... I'm only refraining because my last backup doesn't have all of my texts.

TechWhore

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2006
Just as a note, in iTunes under the Photos Tab, I have Sync Photos from iPhone backup checked with all folders and include videos.... All of my photos under Camera Roll are gone too...

Ps - I have always had it checked and I tried restoring it from there as well with no hope.

corriewf

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2009
Ahhh now I see what happened. Damn! Lost all my pics and vids here too. This sucks.

salesguy

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
For those that have the SpiritJB when you take a new picture does it save it into your camera roll like normal?

I

itsme92

For those that have the SpiritJB when you take a new picture does it save it into your camera roll like normal?

Yes. But my old pics are gone.

EDIT: I restored from my last backup before the Spirit jailbreak and all is well in the world. Should've tried that before I came to the forums trying to get them back.

phigment

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
I didn't backup my photos and REALLY need my camera roll which was completely deleted when I used spirit jailbreak. Is there anyway to recover this using recovery software? I have not taken any additional pictures fearing I may overwrite the data!

phigment

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
That link only works if you backed up. I'm trying to recover...without having backed up. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
I have to agree with dhlizard totally...If you are not auto downloading your photos to Aperture (Mac) or My Pictures (windows) when you plug your iPhone/Camera in then you are messing with disaster.

Have your photos download to a specific folder, select that folder in iTunes and it then puts all those photos right back on your iPhone in a folder, not the camera roll.

According to the iPhone User Guide:

1) Because music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and photos are managed on your computer, these items are synced one-way, from your computer to iPhone.

2) Syncing Photos from your Computer
If you’ve turn on syncing, iTunes automatically copies or updates your photo library (or selected albums) from your computer to iPhone whenever you connect iPhone to your computer. iTunes can sync your photos from the following applications: PHOTOS DO NOT SYNC WITH/IN ITUNES like your music, vids or app data.

3) Updating and Restoring iPhone Software
You can use iTunes to update or restore iPod software. You should always update iPhone to use the latest software. You can also restore the software, which puts iPhone back to its original state.
 If you update, the iPhone software is updated but your settings and songs are not affected.
 If you restore, all data is erased from iPhone, including songs, videos, contacts, photos, calendar information, and any other data. All iPhone settings are restored to their original state.

The above is all taken straight from the manual and should explain why all of you have lost your photos. If you are not manually or automatically backing them up to a photo folder then they are not backed up when you sync your iPhone with iTunes. Backing up photos is a seperate operation that is accomplished when you plug your iPhone into your computer and auto save or manual save prior to syncing.

Hope this helps and if your not sure, the manual is free to download in PDF format from Apple.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I have to agree with dhlizard totally...If you are not auto downloading your photos to Aperture (Mac) or My Pictures (windows) when you plug your iPhone/Camera in then you are messing with disaster..

iPhoto (obviously Mac) is another good option every time you plug in the phone to the computer, it saves the camera roll to the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.