Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mp3junkie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Hello, I just bought a new laptop and I want to transfer my apps and music to my new laptop from my iPhone 3Gs. I have an Itunes account but I am scared that I will lose all my data if I sync my iPhone to this new laptop. What do I have to do to get this to work for me? I am needing help with this. Any information that anyone can offer, I would greatly appreciate it.

Lunchb0x8

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Quirindi, NSW, AU
If your iPhone was synced to a different computer and you only want to copy the data to the new computer (still have the old one), you can transfer the files over network or by USB key or simply plug in your iPhone, right click on it in itunes and hit transfer purchases, as long as that new computer is also activated for your iTunes account, you should be fine.

If however, you no longer have the old computer, or wish to start using the new one to sync, I would use the right click option to transfer purchases, and then re-sync on the new machine (this will wipe your phone, but you can then put your apps and music back on).

Hope this was helpful.

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
Correct.

If your iPhone was synced to a different computer and you only want to copy the data to the new computer (still have the old one), you can transfer the files over network or by USB key or simply plug in your iPhone, right click on it in itunes and hit transfer purchases, as long as that new computer is also activated for your iTunes account, you should be fine.

If however, you no longer have the old computer, or wish to start using the new one to sync, I would use the right click option to transfer purchases, and then re-sync on the new machine (this will wipe your phone, but you can then put your apps and music back on).

Hope this was helpful.

A little more in depth- You can only transfer onto another computer if you purchased through itunes- meaning you'll lose the stuff that wasn't bought through itunes.

How to transfer purchases on a Mac: Open itunes. click on "file" in the menu. Select transfer purchases. Make sure you authorize the computer for your purchases. Then resync your phone.

If however, you don't have a backup copy of your music and you need to keep all the music that you have loaded onto your device, first transfer your purchases using the method above, then DL a program called Senuti (again it's for Mac) for free. It allows you to copy music from your iDevice to your computer. Once the music has been synced to your computer, you're free to sync your music playlists etc as you wish.

Lunchb0x8

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Quirindi, NSW, AU
A little more in depth- You can only transfer onto another computer if you purchased through itunes- meaning you'll lose the stuff that wasn't bought through itunes.

How to transfer purchases on a Mac: Open itunes. click on "file" in the menu. Select transfer purchases. Make sure you authorize the computer for your purchases. Then resync your phone.

If however, you don't have a backup copy of your music and you need to keep all the music that you have loaded onto your device, first transfer your purchases using the method above, then DL a program called Senuti (again it's for Mac) for free. It allows you to copy music from your iDevice to your computer. Once the music has been synced to your computer, you're free to sync your music playlists etc as you wish.

Thanks for advising of difference in mac sync.

I use Windows on all my Computers and have had no problems copying purchases from my iPhone to my computer.

If you purchased the tunes on your old computer, you will probably need to copy them via network/USB drive/CD or as said, use the Senuti app if you use mac.

mp3junkie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Great, thanks for all the feedback. I am definately going try this method.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.