Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Muffin Man

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 29, 2004
I have taken so many photos, it's scary I think. I made this website all by myself (best viewed with Safari of course ;)) Check it out. The URL is in my sig.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
You have some beautiful photos. Very nice work.

If I may, I would suggest that you get a new host to make your uploading/displaying of images easier. Currently, It's a bit tedious to browse your images that way. If you could create a gallery of some kind with a thumbnail image, it would be much more appealing. But thats just my opinion.

Again, beautiful work. (You've been bookmarked ;))

The Muffin Man

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 29, 2004
Why, thank you Michael, and suggestions are always welcome. I'm really not too good with HTML and all...I made this layout months ago and have forgotten most of it. My next step I think will be to mark my favorites in the pictures index. Some are blurry or just boring, but I want those there anyway, so I think I'll mark my favorites with red or green. We'll see.

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
That is great stuff. A better layout would help out the people too lazy to click each one though. Still, beats the crap out of a lot of geocities sites out there.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
Do you have Adobe Photoshop?

If so, there is a built-in utility for building web photo galleries. Then all you'd have to do is upload them. No HTML knowledge requred.

PS: I might be able to help you find a host.

The Muffin Man

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 29, 2004
Close. I have Photoshop Elements. It does everything I need it too, so I don't know why people spend so much money on just a few extra features (unless you work in a graphics field). Elements is only 100 bucks, though I think I got it for 50 cuz I had an Amazon.com gift certificate.

The Muffin Man

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 29, 2004
Thank you. I don't do much to the photos with my computer. I just change the contrast mostly.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Oh dear, bandwidth limit exceeded, geocities sucks :( If you're goona have a website dedicated to photography you're gonna need some proper hosting bud, bandwidth limits will be exceeded with just a few visits with these free ones.

Check out the Tiny or Small packages at ASO, very cheap, very reliable, and would mean that your pictures are always available for anyone to enjoy :)

The Muffin Man

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 29, 2004
Yeah, I hate GeoCities because of that. The thing is that in general hardly anyone visits my site and I'm kinda broke, so I never see any point to buying bandwidth. Like, if I hadn't posted that link today, I bet my site would have NO hits, so...yeah.

Aaon

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
Nice Photos!

Very nice stuff, Muffin Man. I grabbed Jolly Blue Giant for my desktop. Keep up the good work!

Aaron

yahooz

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2004
The Muffin Man said:
Close. I have Photoshop Elements. It does everything I need it too, so I don't know why people spend so much money on just a few extra features (unless you work in a graphics field). Elements is only 100 bucks, though I think I got it for 50 cuz I had an Amazon.com gift certificate.

it's not just a few extra features LOL. We are talking the ability to batch process, to use actions, to build better web galleries, a host of actual editing differences....

;)

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Nice!!!

Those pictures are amazing. I hope you don't mind If i created an entire folder of them to use as my changing desktop. On a side note, lots of them didn't seem to work...maybe just for me. Might wanna check that out.

Thanks a bunch!

The Muffin Man

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 29, 2004
Thank you. I know, some aren't loading because they've become "inactive". I didn't update the site for like 5 months earlier this year. I'm working on it. I need feedback on my pictures index draft page though. http://www.geocities.com/surficial_depth/test.html

Sadly, the bandwidth is ****ed up right now, so it doesn't even show what I was thinking of. Maybe I'll switch some things around. Try the link in about an hour, please. I hope I have it figured out by then.

The Muffin Man

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 29, 2004
Thanks. I don't think I'll implement the "FAV" thing. It's too cluttered and kind of an eye sore. Kind of like the el train in Chicago.

iLikeMyiMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
St. Louis
I really liked some of your pictures. I think a couple of them will make it to my desktop. For your hosting problem I would recommend http://www.000k.com/index.php. You get 125mb space, 500 mb bandwidth a month, no filesize limit, and no ads all for free. I use them right now to host some images and files for myself.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
The Muffin Man said:
Sadly, the bandwidth is ****ed up right now, so it doesn't even show what I was thinking of.
Why not host them here? I only used it because it was free and available, but it's really handy, and very customisable. No bandwidth limit, and I believe you get ~200mb free to begin with.

Edit: An example of how cool it can look can be found here... :D

The Muffin Man

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 29, 2004
The problem with fotopic is the lack of customizability that HTML provides. Also, GeoCities gives 3 GB of free bandwidth a month, so I don't see any reason to choose those other hosts except the storage space (which I've already figured out and dealt with). Thanks, though.

Sneeper

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
San Francisco
I like Gallery myself. It has a web interface for uploading photos, let's you rotate and modify, generates thumbnails for you, and it's open sourced. You do need a hosting service that supports PHP to use it though.

http://gallery.sourceforge.net.

Your photos rock, Muffin Man. Some of them would make very cool desktop backgrounds... Assuming we had permission to use them, of course...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.