Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
I have extremely poor hearing and none of the ringtones are louder than a whisper, even my gf who has normal hearing comments on how quite the ringer is. I'm sure this is a 101 type question but can anyone help me find a way to make my ringer stupidly loud?

I still have the 1st gen iphone. Waiting on the g4 to come out.

Thanks!

thelordnyax

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2008
I have extremely poor hearing and none of the ringtones are louder than a whisper, even my gf who has normal hearing comments on how quite the ringer is. I'm sure this is a 101 type question but can anyone help me find a way to make my ringer stupidly loud?

I still have the 1st gen iphone. Waiting on the g4 to come out.

Thanks!

this may be a stupid question...but do you have the volume on the phone turned all the way up?
maybe you can find some song/sound that is really loud and use iTunes to turn it into a ringtone

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
If, as the poster above pointed out, you have the volume up, you're only recourse is to jailbreak and then you can edit certain plists to raise the volume. Apple knows what volume we need, so they set certain constraints on raising it (that was written in sarcasm). However, I've never done this on a 2G, so I'm not totally certain the plists exist, but they do for the other generations, so why not the first.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I agree that the ringer volume is way too quiet and my hearing only slightly sucks.

There's a ringtone called "iPhone ring" that can be found around these forums that comes from the original iPhone commercials back in 2007. It's extremely shrill and I use it when I'm in an environment that has a lot of ambient noise (bar, mall, driving with windows down, et cetera).

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
Its crazy such a simple thing is causing me so much trouble :( I tried apple tech support and they gave me the name of some 3rd party subscription service.

People actually pay monthly subscription fees for ring tones!?

I'm in the wrong business!

Thanks for the tips. I'll just keep trying all the ones I can find in itunes for now. Hopefully the g4 will not have the same issues.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
Try to turn up your ringer volume this way. Might helps

Settings-Sounds

In the middle use the slider (under Vibrate) to move it to the right to make it louder.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 118

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
Thanks, that helped to adjust the volume in settings. I thought I had already done that but guess not. Its still pretty quite but its an improvment!

Never thought to search previous threads. oops! I'll remember that next time I have a simple question.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Try this on for size:

Edit: Hmm. not working.

Hold please.

Edit 2: I guess that thread has been erased for some reason. Sorry.

MacToddB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Rochester, NY
I agree that the ringer volume is way too quiet and my hearing only slightly sucks.

There's a ringtone called "iPhone ring" that can be found around these forums that comes from the original iPhone commercials back in 2007. It's extremely shrill and I use it when I'm in an environment that has a lot of ambient noise (bar, mall, driving with windows down, et cetera).

Feel free to contact me for a promo code for one of our apps. We have some loud 'introductory' sound effects (like Pager) followed by custom text-to-speech ringtones. Ringtones Uncensored CYBER is free, as is FUNNY and a few other voices/version. PRO version lets you adjust volume.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
Make sure your vibrate is on. I know that doesn't make the ring any louder, but perhaps the vibration will help you listen for the ring or just alert you that it's ringing in general.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Feel free to contact me for a promo code for one of our apps. We have some loud 'introductory' sound effects (like Pager) followed by custom text-to-speech ringtones. Ringtones Uncensored CYBER is free, as is FUNNY and a few other voices/version. PRO version lets you adjust volume.

Thanks, but no thanks. I'm happy with my ringtones.

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
Vibrate option instead? My phone hasn't rung for years.

Doesnt help if your phone is on a desk. I know most people would be able to hear it vibrate on a flat surface but I cant.

I have gone through dozens of "loud" ringers and a lot of other people were having the same problem. The one I posted above has worked great for me for several months.

chriskzoo

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2005
Doesnt help if your phone is on a desk. I know most people would be able to hear it vibrate on a flat surface but I cant.

I have gone through dozens of "loud" ringers and a lot of other people were having the same problem. The one I posted above has worked great for me for several months.

Put it in your pocket.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.