Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibbe17

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
If i were to buy a stolen ipad 3g would I have any trouble registering it with apple and also registering for the ATT 3G Service? Here is the link:
http://newyork.ebayclassifieds.com/...-ipad-tablet-pc-64gb-3g-wi-fi-new/?ad=3171937

And this just seems farrr too good to be true.. in Brooklyn of all places. Which is what is leading me to believe they are stolen.

Maybe they're not who knows.. but would I have any trouble if they are??:confused:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Why would you want to buy something that you think is stolen?

Someone is trying to sell it for a little over half-price. It retails for $699. Sorry, this stinks like 3-week old fish, and you should stay away from it.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I say they're stolen but not because they're in brooklyn (nice way to stereotype there pal) but because they're $400.

wombat888

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
The only possibilities are scam/bait and switch, or that they fell off the back of a truck.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Or you could get mugged while waiting to pay for the iPad, it happens from time to time.

The seller has a partner, gets the victim to wait somewhere for the meeting to buy the item, and then his accomplice comes along and robs the buyer. Of course, then the seller comes along and acts innocent.....

Don't buy stolen goods, look up the thread where someone purchased an iPad that he discovered had a "Demo" mark from the apple store on it....

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Have we not learned anything from the Gizmodo iPhone debacle or is this a joke?

Look either these are empty boxes full of rocks being sold or they fell off the truck.

Best case it's a box of rocks and we can all have a laugh when you come back here griping how you were ripped off. (Hopefully, you won't open the box while making the purchase or you could be buying a stay at the hospital of your choice too, so no funny stuff. K.)

Worst case they fell off a truck, in which case, Apple knows the serial numbers and can easily track you down via iTunes and Mobile Me. And if you don't think they won't send in the cops, just give Jason Chen a ring and get his opinion first.

Kibbe17

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
I say they're stolen but not because they're in brooklyn (nice way to stereotype there pal) but because they're $400.

Sorry, I knew someone would call me on this, but I know a few people in or from Brooklyn, (friends) and I have seen myself, some things like this around parts like that, ;) if you get what I'm saying.

Again, Sorry if I offended anyone though.

Kibbe17

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010

Look either these are empty boxes full of rocks being sold or they fell off the truck.

Best case it's a box of rocks and we can all have a laugh when you come back here griping how you were ripped off. (Hopefully, you won't open the box while making the purchase or you could be buying a stay at the hospital of your choice too, so no funny stuff. K.)

Worst case they fell off a truck, in which case, Apple knows the serial numbers and can easily track you down via iTunes and Mobile Me. And if you don't think they won't send in the cops, just give Jason Chen a ring and get his opinion first.

Chupa Chupa, I read alot of comments you leave people and typically think they are edgy and funny, BUT, this is exactly the question I am asking, if they could track me down via iTunes or Mobile Me, I never said I "didnt think they wont send cops" and I would obviously not buy a $400 box of rocks and "come back here griping how I was ripped off" I was already planning on legitimately buying one in a store and just strolled accross this add. No need to tweak out...

traylorc

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2010
Chupa Chupa, I read alot of comments you leave people and typically think they are edgy and funny, BUT, this is exactly the question I am asking, if they could track me down via iTunes or Mobile Me, I never said I "didnt think they wont send cops" and I would obviously not buy a $400 box of rocks and "come back here griping how I was ripped off" I was already planning on legitimately buying one in a store and just strolled accross this add. No need to tweak out...

Funny...I read Chupa's post and didn't get the impression he was tweaking out. I thought he was giving you and honest response to your question.

Bottom line....this sounds like bad news to me. If you were planning on purchasing an ipad legitimately then I would continue on that route. If you buy an ipad you don't want to spend time worrying if the cops will break down your door and confiscate your purchase. :D

Imani97

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010
Shame

Sorry, I knew someone would call me on this, but I know a few people in or from Brooklyn, (friends) and I have seen myself, some things like this around parts like that, ;) if you get what I'm saying.

I wasn't going to say anything, but seriously, if you're considering buying a "stolen" iPad, you're hardly in a position to judge anyone.

IrishTiger

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I wasn't going to say anything, but seriously, if you're considering buying a "stolen" iPad, you're hardly in a position to judge anyone.

He didn't say it was stolen. He said IF it was stolen. He doesn't know. It could be some rich old coot that could care less (I doubt it but whatever). However if it did turn out to be stolen then he is asking legit questions. I don't think many people that have common sense have the desire to purchase stolen goods.

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
If i were to buy a stolen ipad 3g would I have any trouble registering it with apple and also registering for the ATT 3G Service? ...Maybe they're not who knows.. but would I have any trouble if they are??:confused:

Do you work for GIZMODO or something? :p

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
If i were to buy a stolen ipad 3g would I have any trouble registering it with apple and also registering for the ATT 3G Service? ...

Maybe they're not who knows.. but would I have any trouble if they are??:confused:
I will pretend that you are not 15 kinds of stupid. The iPad phones home to perform most administrative tasks. If you purchase and use a stolen iPad, then you are effectively phoning the police to admit your crime while running up a flag to show them where to pick you up.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

You didn't offend me you just seem to lump Brooklyn into this stereotype that is unnecessary. It's unnecessary to your entire story.

You want an iPad, you want a deep discount, stolen or not I seriously doubt you care. You just want to see if you could get into some kind of trouble for it. In short, you could get caught. Worse off, you could get hurt by the person asking for $400 for a $700 device.

patp

Apr 10, 2008
Had a friend buy a VCR from a guy in a parking lot. Got home opened up the box and it was a nice large red brick. The kind you make buildings with.

If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

RQPS

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008

I tried to call Jason Chen his number was out of service? Must have lost his phone.

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
Had a friend buy a VCR from a guy in a parking lot. Got home opened up the box and it was a nice large red brick. The kind you make buildings with.

If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

Hey, at least the brick isn't obsolete!

mysticbluebmw

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
You didn't offend me you just seem to lump Brooklyn into this stereotype that is unnecessary. It's unnecessary to your entire story.

Lol, I guess stereotypes are ok if you just don't lump (lump?, Really?) Brooklyn into it. ;)

Actually, this is one stereotype (while ALL stereotypes are wrong to apply) that has some basis in universal belief. Probably for good reason.:rolleyes:

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Since you have a feeling that the price is too good to be now, you run afoul of the criminal statute for receiving stolen property.

As long as a reasonable person would consider the merchandise more likely than to be stolen ... painful lesson.

Usually, if karma catches up to you they take the booty away and have you flip the seller.

---

However if they can give you a nice sob story about it being a gift and they need the money now to take care of a sick gerbil, you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.