Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Music-Producer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
Hollywood, CA
I've been reading the posts on macrumors.com almost on a daily basis and something that bothers me..is the number of pbook complaints that users seem to have..from day one they have not been happy, kernel panics, 'white spots' on the lcd, etc etc. As a music producer, I have purchased (for myself and other studio owners) close to 25 powerbooks and NONE of them have had any problems whatsoever. Any production studio running mac gear will praise the platform..about its performance and reliability. A friend of mine was pretty anxious and hesitant to buy a powerbook upon reading these posts but he was persuaded enough by me to go ahead. Needless to say, while he was expecting the powerbook to have problems, it was flawless and its been a month now since he has been using it. The bloke carries it everywhere and apparently loves it more than his wife. I'm sure people might have problems with mac products but I find it hard to believe that something new..out of the box, would have a defect. Oh, we have quite a few ipods (the newly launched ones - 20 gb) ..once again, no scratch marks or grey areas..nothing.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
I guess the main reason that you've read so many complaints about the Apple hardware/software is the very nature of forums...people are more likely to post a complaint, to seek an answer or just to get it off their chest, than post a message saying everything is fine! With all mass produced products you are going to run into a few problems but I think probs are definitely in the minority, I include Rev A's into this statement.

This is from a proud owner of 12" 1 ghz Powerbook who has never encounterd a single problem (touch wood!!)...apart from a slightly jealous girlfriend!

:p

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Music-Producer said:
I've been reading the posts on macrumors.com almost on a daily basis and something that bothers me..is the number of pbook complaints that users seem to have..from day one they have not been happy, kernel panics, 'white spots' on the lcd, etc etc.

Bought a refurb Rev B". Right out of the box it panicked... but I didn't know it at the time.

Updated the OS, still panicked. Fscked it, ran the hardware tests, reinstall the OS, still panicked. Finally wiped the drive and clean installed the OS, still panicked.

Sent it back a week after I got it... they replaced the logic board. Finally all is well.

So, no. My complains do have warrant.

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Besides my paint problem (which isn't a functional problem at all) with my powerbook, it has been a beautiful machine. The white-spots were supposedly fixed with the latest revision and kernel panics are probably associated with bad ram more than with the machines themselves.

BEN

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Well, I've had to send my 15" Aluminum in three times, so obviously I'm going to tell you "no," they're not exaggerated. However, as another poster said, forums are where people come to bitch...you're probably going to see a lot more "my Powerbook has problems" posts than you will "my Powerbook is perfect" posts.

I will say however, that my 667mhz TiBook was solid as a rock, and I regret selling it every day. That was an awesome machine.

beefcake

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2003
Baltimore
I have a TiBook and I remember reading about tons of problems with weak casings, key marks on screens, latches breaking and so on. Most of the problems did in fact exist, but were so minor and insignificant I wouldn't have purchased a different computer based on them. In fact, I probably wouldn't have noticed any problems had I not spent all my time trolling these boards.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
The powerbook sells a lot more than the desktops. That's probably why you've heard more.

I've actually never seen a laptop that's been as good as a desktop as far as stability, but my Dad's 12" PB seems to still work just fine, it's only crashed once and I think that was because I set it down too hard while the HD was spinning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.