Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

collegembp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2010
Can someone please post step by step instructions on how to install a third party ssd into a brand new macbook pro? I'm sure this information is available somewhere on this site, and if complete instructions can be located in one place a link would be great.

I know how to physically install the drive (here), but what are the steps needed to install OSX on the new drive? I remember reading somewhere about having to do stuff with the disk utilities the first time you start up the new mac...

I would be installing the original hard drive (to be replaced with the SSD) into an enclosure.

Thanks in advance for any useful information

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
just boot from the install disk by holding C while booting and then open Disk Utility from Menu bar and change the format to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and click execute. After that quit Disk Utility and follow the in-screen instructions to install OS X

collegembp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2010
okay. i think that answers my question...

so here's my setup. I have an aging iMac, i'll have a new mbp, an OWC SSD, an an enclosure. All I want to transfer from the old iMac are the contents of itunes. So ultimately, i want my itunes on the old iMac to end up on an SSD with the newest version of OSX in a new macbook pro.

Would i transfer itunes to the macbook pro as delivered, then from there to the SSD within the enclosure? or would i transfer OSX to the SSD, install the SSD in the macbook pro, and then transfer itunes from the imac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.