Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
Is it possible to remap the Eject-key to forward delete (fn+delete) on the SR MacBook?

The Eject-key doesn't do very much for me. I would use it more often if it could unmount disk images, but I rather have a single key for forward delete if that's possible.

Osprey

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
In a Galaxy Far, Far Away
Is it possible to remap the Eject-key to forward delete (fn+delete) on the SR MacBook?

The Eject-key doesn't do very much for me. I would use it more often if it could unmount disk images, but I rather have a single key for forward delete if that's possible.

I can't answer your question, but wow that would really be nice if possilbe. Hope someone answers.

chunkdude

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2007
im with your on this one. im definately interested in remapping the eject key and the FN key

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
I also need a forward "delete" key on my MacBook...unfortunately I don't know how to do what you are suggesting.

I have looked at DoubleCommand, which can remap other keys, but not the Eject key. Also, Santa Rosa MacBooks do not have the "Enter" key to the right of the Spacebar, instead it is replaced with a Option key. So no option to remap the Enter key as Forward Delete. :(

LoneWolf121188

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Longmont, CO
I have looked at DoubleCommand, which can remap other keys, but not the Eject key. Also, Santa Rosa MacBooks do not have the "Enter" key to the right of the Spacebar, instead it is replaced with a Option key. So no option to remap the Enter key as Forward Delete. :(
Really? The MBPs do...

You guys know you can do a forward delete with Fn-Del, right? Its not quite as useful as a single button, but its really not that bad because in a typing position, your pinky can easily reach the Fn key as you go up to hit the Del key.

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
Really? The MBPs do...

You guys know you can do a forward delete with Fn-Del, right? Its not quite as useful as a single button, but its really not that bad because in a typing position, your pinky can easily reach the Fn key as you go up to hit the Del key.

MacBooks used to have then Enter key to the right of the Spacebar. This key is deleted and changed to an Option key during the Santa Rosa update. That update removed the embedded number pad from the keyboard. (So no Numlock key on F6 either.)

I do know about Fn+Del gives forward delete. But 1 key > 2 keys ;)

theman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
I use DoubleCommand to remap the little enter key at the bottom as forward delete. I don't think you can use it to map the eject key though.

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
This can be done.

Download Ukulele, create a new keylayout.
Base it on a US layout (downloadable here: http://wordherd.com/keyboards/)
Map the F12 key to ( )
Put this in your Users/Library/Keyboard Layouts folder

Cool! Thanks! I'll try it out.

I use DoubleCommand to remap the little enter key at the bottom as forward delete. I don't think you can use it to map the eject key though.

No, the new Santa Rosa MacBooks no longer have the Enter key at the bottom near the spacebar.

ozymandius

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
Ukulele

Did anyone figure out how to use this program. I want to remap the second alt/option button on the new mbp's the one on the right to forward delete.

if anyone can help i would really appreciate it!! :)

phaseIV

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
Probably KeyRemap4MacBook does what you want, it has numerous keyboard remap options.
If not, you can always post a request to the developer, he's very friendly and responsive.

Visit KeyRemap4MacBook website

(And in case you wonder... yes, the program also works for Macbookpro's.)

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
DoubleCommand also remaps right option key....

Did anyone figure out how to use this program. I want to remap the second alt/option button on the new mbp's the one on the right to forward delete.

if anyone can help i would really appreciate it!! :)

GUYS, just install DoubleCommand -> it is operated through the System Preferences dialog and automatically activates. You can use it to map Forward delete to either the little ENTER key *OR* the right option key. There's nothing to it!

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
Does anyone know of a way to turn the (Late 2008 MBP) 2nd option key into an enter key?

I'm used to having this from my old machine and use it to accept changes in Photoshop.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
It works here too, but the key doesn't seem to repeat when you keep it pressed. So you need to press it for each character that you want to forward delete. Is there a way to change this too?

Bisz

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
ON, Canada
I think that not including the forward delete key is a big mistake by Mac, a lot of people use it on a regular basis and having to use a 2 key combination, especially when the 2 keys are so far away from each other is not an acceptable solution. I spent just a few minutes using BetterToughTool trying to do this sort of remap, with no luck, I'll definitely be trying the solutions suggested here when I get home today. Thanks everyone.

Update:

Right option key is now forward delete. This could not be simper than with KeyRemap4MacBook!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.