Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daiken

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Hi everyone!

So I waited for the update of the MBP line and I finally bought my first Mac ever (MBP 13" Low-end).:cool:

I ordered it on Monday the 3:e and the estimated time to arrive was Monday 10:e. HOWEVER, I recieved a mail from apple on tuesday telling me that my MBP was sent already and the new delivery time was friday!! :eek:
and yesterday i got an textmessage telling me it would arrive today :eek:
Im surprised how fast they actually shipped, it was a brand new MBP with 0 batery cycles.

just wanted to share how the first feeling of buying a mac was :cool: ( I live in Sweden, so from shipping Shanghai->netherlands->sweden in that time is quite fast)

I have played around in the MBP a little and I love the computer. however I think it will take some time to adjust from using windows (15 years!) to mac :rolleyes:

Anyway, I have some simple question:
1. How does the CS5 work on the new MBP 13" ? (yes I used MRoogle and couldn't find that much, there was some threads I found about how expensive it was but not how well it worked)
I am focusing on Photoshop, Indesign and Illustrator. (starting courses in graphic design after the summer) Im not a professional and I am not doing it for a living, just some amateur work hoping to get better

2. I heard that there is MSN messenger for mac, however it has some minor issue and bugs. there is no new post about it, but have it been fixed?
(need to have the videochat function)

3. Finally are there anything I need to think of? (except being careful of my new precious of course)

Thank you for taking your time to read this and I appreciate any answers.
Have a continued nice evening/morning/afternoon :D

Regards,
Michael

qwerty2k

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007
Microsoft has posted a beta version of messenger that has video chat, seems stable and good to me :)

ApexLee

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2010
I'm running Abobe Dreamweaver CS5 on the 13" MBP and haven't had any issues with it. It's fast, although I'm using a SSD.

I'm also using the Messenger for Mac Beta and works great. :)

Daiken

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
wow, I just love MR forum. Fast replies and nice people :D

Thanks for the replies :D well then, I might order my CS5 Design standard next week then. And download the beta msn :D

THX!

PS. Sorry for the long post at the beginning :D didn't realize how long it became haha

JerseyBill

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2010
Ok -

I have a related question... My very first Mac arrived Monday and I am just beginning my transition after almost 30 years on PCs (from the very first IBM PC in 1981 or 1982).

I just received my upgrade for Adobe Photoshop CS5 for PC and will continue to use it on my system at home - so I won't be transferring the license to a Mac platform. Adobe does not permit you to do multiple installs across platforms - only on the same platform. Thus, it makes sense for me to install Photoshop in a Windows partition on the MBP instead of spending $1000 for the extended version of Photoshop CS5 for the Mac. Also, I use Sony Vegas video editing software (same story - will continue to use on home PC) which does NOT have a Mac version.

Anyway, is there any material difference in the way Photoshop works under OS X versus under Windows? Is the package different (or better) under one OS or the other? Or is it just the same exact thing...? I doubt I can convince myself to buy a second Photoshop license for Mac - but I would like to know what I am missing if anything....

Thanks all -

JB

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Helpful Information for Any Mac User

Link to this post: Helpful Information for Any Mac User

Even if you've been a Mac user or a forum member for a while, welcome to Mac ownership and welcome to MacRumors:Forums!

If you've been using Macs for years, you might pick up a helpful hint here, or be reminded of something you forgot. If you're switching to a Mac from Windows, you'll discover that some things work the same as on Windows, and some things are quite different on a Mac. You should give yourself time to learn your way around and expect to learn a new way of doing some things. If you're patient, you'll learn that, in many cases, the "Mac way" of doing things is better. In some cases, you may still prefer the "Windows way". Just give it time to discover these things.

You'll find a lot of information both here and on the web. Here are a few resources that may be helpful:

Apple resources:
Searching the forums with Google is always a good idea before posting new questions. Just add site:forums.macrumors.com to the end of any Google search term(s) to restrict the search to the forums.
How to set up a quick right-click search of the MR forums.

MacRumors resources:
Other resources:

Need application suggestions? Look here:

Troubleshooting tips:
If you run into a problem or question on your Mac, here are a few problem-solving steps you may find useful:
  • It's NOT a virus! While not immune, Mac OS X is not plagued with viruses like Windows. For more info on this, click here.
  • Don't panic or get emotional! It's a computer. It can be fixed. It won't destroy your life... unless you let it. Take a deep breath, calm down and think.
  • Most often, unexpected things happen because the user doesn't completely understand why or how things work.
  • Much less often, hardware or software has a malfunction or design flaw.
  • While not flawless, Mac OS X is very stable. If something doesn't work the way you expect, there's a reason.
  • Search! Rather than asking a question and waiting for people to post, searching brings you answers immediately. It also reduces the number of repetitive threads, which makes it easier to find answers.
    • Use Google to search this forum for key words that describe your problem or question. Just add site:forums.macrumors.com to the end of any Google search term(s) to restrict the search to the forums. 99% of the time, someone else in this forum has asked the same thing and found a solution. By searching, you can read the solution without waiting. This also applies to recommendations, opinions and speculations. It's all been discussed before, frequently hundreds of times.
    • You can restrict your search to results posted within the past year, so you're not getting outdated information or obsolete threads. Look at the date of the last post in the thread. If it's years ago, it's less likely to relate to you.
    • If you don't find what you need by searching the forum, try the same search with Google, to expand the search to the world. It's very rare for someone to have a question or problem that isn't addressed somewhere on the internet.
  • If you find a current thread that relates to your question, it's best to post in that thread, rather than starting a new one.
  • In those rare cases where you can't find an answer quickly by searching, go to the Forum list and choose the most appropriate forum in which to start a new thread.
    • Use a thread title that describes your problem or topic, rather than something generic like "HELP!!!" The more accurate your title, the faster someone with knowledge of that issue will respond.
    • Include a description of your hardware model, OS version, application version, etc.
    • Describe the steps you've taken to resolve the issue
    • Understand that those who post responses are volunteering to help you. Even if you don't elect to follow all recommendations, it's always good to be kind to those who try to offer help, even if you're frustrated by your problem.
If you search the forums and don't find what you're looking for, just ask! There's lots of friendly help here! Enjoy your new Mac!

Last edited:
Reactions: xelu01
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.