Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jabba1974

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Hi,

i will preorder an IPad 3G on monday (living in germany).

I'm wondering what is the best value version for resale in about 1 - 2 years on ebay, considering that there is a 100€ gap between each version right now ?

Is it smart to go by the biggest version with 64GB or maybe the smallest 16GB ?

What do you think which version will be wanted most on ebay in about 1 or 2 years ?

Greetings from Berlin
Jabba

PS: for my personal use i think the 16 GB maybe just a little bit too small, but i could live with that, so please just consider the resale value.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
If you want to go by absolutes, you'll get the most money in the future for a unit that you pay the most money for now. A 64 GB wifi isn't going to sell for less than a 16 GB wifi.

What do you think which version will be wanted most on ebay in about 1 or 2 years ?

Who knows? More or less a meaningless opinion question. Any answer you get will the same weight as any other.

Why are you buying something for resale value anyways?

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
It would seem to me the higher the storage the higher the resale value. Whether the difference will be more than the price difference today is unknown, but I think looking at two iPads two years from now for sale on eBay, one being 16GB and one being 64GB, the 64GB is going to sell for more. I don't think the question is meaningless at all.

And not everyone buys things to keep them forever. Resale value is a legitimate consideration for SOME people. To each his own. :rolleyes:

Jabba1974

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
You are right, but i didnt mean the absolute value. More like the best Buy/Sell-ratio :)

Usually there is a new Apple IPad/IPhone etc every year and since Apple considers my 1,75 years old IPhone 3G as an outdated product (no multitasking etc in 4.0) i think about selling the IPad next year or the year after to get the new version.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
From a pure dollars spent:dollars recouped standpoint, you will lose less money with the 16GB, however, it may be easier to sell a 32GB. I will not be surprised if a year from now a used 32GB doesn't have more than a $50 premium over a similar used 16GB.

The key to getting a decent price is to sell either just before or maybe after Apple announces a new model. You'll know when that happens b/c invitations and buzz will be all over Mac sites. However, it won't "hit" mainstream until after the announcement. You gotta make the surprise attack on eBay.

Jabba1974

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Chupa Chupa: If i remember correctly the 8GB iphones were rendered absolete by the next version, so maybe getting a 32GB IPad isnt such a bad idea. I guess people would think that an old model with a capacity which is lower than even the low-end new model is much less valueable. I mean it would be not just the old/new money loss, but even much more due to the low capacity.

but this is pure speculation.

thanks for your opinions.

flyingturtle

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
I debated this too. Originally I thought of getting a 16gb or 32gb Wifi model.

In the end I decided to buy the most expensive, the 64gb 3G model, as I figured I could keep it longer and still maintain decent resale value. I plan on upgrading to new gens each year so I figure I might as well upgrade from the most expensive to most expensive, rather than cheapest model to cheapest model. Easier to sell higher models and plus I might as well experience the best models if I'm going to keep upgrading.

I wouldn't be surprised to see price cuts in a year or two, so the base model's resale model on 1st gen could even be less. Kind of like what happened to those 1st gen iPhone that were outrageously expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.