Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nix.hanno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Oz
Hi,

I'm so annoyed regarding the broken Entourage <-> Exchange SSL root cert situation that I feel I must let others know of the following...

To perform a fresh / clean installation of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard to a totally blank/formatted hard drive using nothing but the upgrade DVD, do the following:

1. Boot from the Mac OS X Leopard Upgrade DVD (hold 'c' while booting).
2. Notice that the check for previous will fail (and "Continue" button is grayed out).
3. Choose the option of restoring from a Time Machine backup and go as far as you can (note: if you do actually have a Time Machine backup, pretend that you don't - making sure you've already removed any backup drives you may have plugged in).
4. Now go back to (almost) the initial screen.
5. Notice the "Continue" button is no longer grayed out...
6. Install Leopard while drinking a beer.

smellydwarf

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2007
You are god of the apples

I've been working at this problem for well over an hour. Right when I thought I was the only person on the internet to have this problem I saw your post three pages in on google. I took at a look and with some skepticism tried it. IT WORKED! You are the only person I saw EVER mention having the continue button grayed out on an installation of Leopard. Thank you so much for saving me from three more nights of hell.

this is his fiance:
THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH FOR KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING! im so glad that we finally got through that horrible problem as i am a very impatient person and ive been waiting for my ipod touch to work on this for days now and im so happy thank you

heshan

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2008
Many Many Thanks

i have a work macbook pro, and am new to apple, i use windows mainly.

anyhoo, tried to upgrade thinking the upgrade DVD was a clean install DVD (like the windows non-upgrade disks)

even with 10.4.11 mac osx, it said that i didn't have an installation of 10.4

i then couldnt boot into 10.4.11 eh?????:eek:
re tried upgrade - failed:eek:
tried the installation disks with the macbook - they didnt work now. :mad:
apparently, the disks are only appropriate for the version the macbook was when purchased (10.4.6 in this case):confused:

then saw your post:rolleyes:
et voila, installation is proceeding :p, its midnight, and itll take another 53 mins, i'm off to bed,;) will finish in the am.

thanks
again

heshan:eek::D:p:)

:apple::apple::apple::eek:

iCeFuSiOn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
Nice trick, thanks for that -- next time I won't need to install Tiger first to get my Leopard DVD to let me do a clean install. :p

macmommainks

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2008
clean install

Will this method work on a system that is not a blank/formatted hard drive? I'm assuming clean install means that if the system is not blank it will be whipped clean (meaning losing/erasing all current files, apps, etc) as the new system is installed. Is this assumption correct?

Jen

The Ayatollah

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2008
This method is probably very successful given that no one seems to be having problems with it. However, whenever I click to install from the Drop-in DVD, I get a folder with a question mark on it.

That would normally indicate a hard drive issue but I don't think that is the case in my situation. Of course, my basis for assuming this is that I erased Tiger and tried to install Leopard using a restore disk (see also: naive).

Moral of the story: get help or buy another Leopard disk.

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
This method is probably very successful given that no one seems to be having problems with it. However, whenever I click to install from the Drop-in DVD, I get a folder with a question mark on it.

That would normally indicate a hard drive issue but I don't think that is the case in my situation. Of course, my basis for assuming this is that I erased Tiger and tried to install Leopard using a restore disk (see also: naive).

Check your system preferences and see if your start up drive is not highlighted. It ought to look similar to mine.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    69.1 KB · Views: 565

Lershac

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2008
Baton Rouge, LA USA
Thank you

I was about to have to get off my ass and go buy a DL-DVDR so I could do this, and now I can continue to be a lazy mofo. So the fat in my body sings your praises.

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
I was about to have to get off my ass and go buy a DL-DVDR so I could do this, and now I can continue to be a lazy mofo. So the fat in my body sings your praises.
lol

This is an excellent trick and pretty much renders the whole point of the upgrade DVD useless, making it exactly like the full retail install disc. :D

axia95351

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2009
leopard install........

hi. my name is sergio,. Modesto, CA I have mac Ibook tiger 10.3.9 I need to upgrade to use new software for recording,.. logic express 8. ( ?) can I perform a leopard install on my labtop.

khalilamar

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2008

--

Hi,

Please open Disk Utility, select your hard drive and check the info at the bottom-right corner; The Partition Map Scheme.
for Intel Mac, it must be GUID, for PPC Mac it must be Apple Partition Map.
MBR is not an option if you want to start up Mac System.

Click the 'Partition' Tab above, create 1 partition ( or the # you want )
then click 'Options' at the bottom, and select GUID or Apple Partition Map.

Apply and quit Disk Utility, you will be taken back to the Installer.
install with the trick described above.

Thanks

Denarius

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
Gironde, France
--

Hi,

Please open Disk Utility, select your hard drive and check the info at the bottom-right corner; The Partition Map Scheme.
for Intel Mac, it must be GUID, for PPC Mac it must be Apple Partition Map.
MBR is not an option if you want to start up Mac System.

Click the 'Partition' Tab above, create 1 partition ( or the # you want )
then click 'Options' at the bottom, and select GUID or Apple Partition Map.

Apply and quit Disk Utility, you will be taken back to the Installer.
install with the trick described above.

Thanks

I suspect he probably just didn't know about holding down the C key, but then one would hope he's sussed that after a year and 3 months. ;)

Stephen Dowling

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009
GA
I am extremely grateful for this. I'm fixing a friends PowerBook G4 and I was beginning to think I'd have to take the machine back un-fixed.

Thank You,

Stephen.

bailey68

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2010
Hi, i know this an old thread, but i have this problem now. I don't get the option of destination to install it. just a blank box.
I'm on macbook pro 10.4.11

Hi,

I'm so annoyed regarding the broken Entourage <-> Exchange SSL root cert situation that I feel I must let others know of the following...

To perform a fresh / clean installation of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard to a totally blank/formatted hard drive using nothing but the upgrade DVD, do the following:

2. Notice that the check for previous will fail (and "Continue" button is grayed out).
3. Choose the option of restoring from a Time Machine backup and go as far as you can (note: if you do actually have a Time Machine backup, pretend that you don't - making sure you've already removed any backup drives you may have plugged in).

Niekolaas

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2010
Hi,

Ive tried this with a Snow Leopard upgrade disc but is doesnt work. Should it work or am I doing something wrong? It keeps giving me te message that i need a 10.5 version before I can install this software.. U know another way of doign this?

DonCarlos

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2009
Las Vegas
What a wonderful set of instructions…..and it works I

used my old mac mini upgrade disk (Lion). Followed the instructions but only added this change after I received an alert to use Apple Partition Map instead of GUID, so i disk utility and redid the partition format from the disk.

Perfect and smoothly ….it installed in 20 minutes to the bargain basement iMac (50 dollars)I bought for the daughter to surf the net with. It is a 17", early 2006 iMac, 1.6 Ghz. PowerPC G5.

Here is what I did since I had a spare 7200 3.5 (newer) HD I decided to install it (after wiping it and formatting with HFS extended (journaled) GUID), I did this on my Mac Mini through an external.
-Replaced HD in iMac
-Booted to disk in the iMac
-Used my DVD Leopard
-Followed all steps
-Using disk utility from the disk and in the iMac, i reformatted and changed GUID to Apple Partitio Map
-Continued following the steps.

Great information.

Thanks

Last edited:

bastifantasti

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2009
Hi,

OH. HOLY. JESUS.

You are my saviour. I have had a Leopard upgrade disk for years, and never knew I could use this. My situation was exacerbated this evening as my Tiger DVD is damaged, and I had no idea what I could do to get Leopard back on my PPC iMac without buying DVDs and burning a fresh Tiger disk and wasting days of my life and money.

I> LOVE> YOU

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.