Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samiznaetekto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
Is it possible for iPad and MacBook Pro to communicate directly over WiFi without a router? Remote Desktop'ing a MacBook Pro in your backpack via iPad would be insanely cool and useful.

og1

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2008
Is it possible for iPad and MacBook Pro to communicate directly over WiFi without a router? Remote Desktop'ing a MacBook Pro in your backpack via iPad would be insanely cool and useful.

any VNC app will work just fine

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
There may be dozens to choose from in the App Store. Just search on VNC or Remote Desktop. There are also threads on several different iPad/iPhone/Mac specific sites which have user recommendations, etc. In fact, I'm pretty sure there is one here on MacRumors.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
You can set up the MBP to act as a hotspot right?

Ad-hoc connection its called?

With that you can remote in.

samiznaetekto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
Since I don't have iPad yet, can someone try this?

1. Turn off your WiFi router/modem.
2. Enable ad-hoc WiFi network on your Mac.
3. Connect iPad to this ad-hoc WiFi.
4. Control your Mac remotely from your iPad via ad-hoc WiFi.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
samiznaetekto said:

The hard part will be getting your MBP to stay awake with the lid closed (presumably you'd not be carrying around an external keyboard and mouse, too).

Aduntu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
Since I don't have iPad yet, can someone try this?

1. Turn off your WiFi router/modem.
2. Enable ad-hoc WiFi network on your Mac.
3. Connect iPad to this ad-hoc WiFi.
4. Control your Mac remotely from your iPad via ad-hoc WiFi.

Like og1 said, it works with any VNC app. I've been doing this since I got my iPad. I use Desktop Connect. Once connected to the ad-hoc network, the app automatically detects the other devices (as long as screen sharing is enabled). It's no different than connecting over your wireless access point. However, Internet won't be available.

dav

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2004
The hard part will be getting your MBP to stay awake with the lid closed (presumably you'd not be carrying around an external keyboard and mouse, too).

That is doable with Insomnia.kext, however I would be wary of heat issues and moving parts. I would rather just leave my macbook at my apartment and VNC into it while it is there.

samiznaetekto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
Supercool, thanks guys. My main objective for this setup is to continue programming on my Macbook Pro in backpack or do other tasks on it impossible to do on iPad - all while standing in subway or on a bus.

wombat888

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
So you want to use one device to control another device when they're both on your person? I have trouble grasping the value, but - in any case, I don't know of a straightforward way to do this. I imagine there's a client that will do it via bluetooth.

As far as controlling a remote computer with an iPad, lots of ways to do this ... I tried LogMeIn tonight for the first time. Works great. It's easy to set up in minutes. But it does require the host computer to be awake and connected to the Internet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.