Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fjfjfjfj

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
New York, NY
When setting up the wallpapers, you can pinch/zoom and pan them around to get them centered just how you like...the trick is, if you then rotate the system, you can do it again for the other orientation, and it remembers both. This way you could use a 1024x768 image, and then zoom in the portrait version so that it fills the 768x1024 screen without being ugly.

Awesome. Thank you for this one.

Advil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
I found out that if you accidentally hit the home button while in an app, if you hold it for like 2 seconds it doesn't actually quit the app. very useful.

dogg

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
Scotland
Tip # 4: Keeping your ipad in a handy spot next to your bed for quick reference will ensure you don't have sex again and your wife eventually divorces you.

Couple of questions about this tip.

1. Does she take the kids when she leaves?:D

2. Will she ask for the iPad as part if the divorce settlement?!! :eek:

Reactions: Classic_Rock

Akash.B

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
If you don't want to swipe on the home screen to go from page to page, simply tap on those dots at the bottom and they will change the page for you.

Peter Harrison

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
UK
I originally thought the iPad would sell mostly to people with iPhones already... but judging by the tips I guess not. All very useful, but 90% simple iPhone functionality still found on the iPad.

rablat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2007
Classified NSA intel
Not a software trick or anything but I got a tip... Put a few strips of electrical tape on the back if you are waiting for your case to be delivered... That black rubber apple does scratch if you set it down and pick it up a few times.
:mad:

What black rubber apple?

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
As a PC user I find Xmarks.com to be an awesome solution to keep my internet bookmarks synced between my multiple pcs (using ie and ff). Then, on my iPad, I bookmark the Xmarks page and they have an iPhone formatted page that works great on the iPad.

Jethrotoe

macrumors regular
May 24, 2009
Somewhere over there.
Need a longer power cord? Pop the prongs off the 10w adapter and plug in an extension from your laptop or old radio whatever. I had several of these cords laying around they are pretty common probably can find them at radio shack or someplace similiar if you don't want to steal one from another device your using. I now have a 10 ft power cord :D

Why didn't I think of that. I didn't even look at the size of it. I have a million of those cords. Thanks!

ctakim

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
Tip # 4: Keeping your ipad in a handy spot next to your bed for quick reference will ensure you don't have sex again and your wife eventually divorces you.

How do I keep it off her nightstand????:D

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
snapper07 said:
These are top tip's guy's very useful!
Last edited by snapper07 : Today at 05:14 AM. Reason: Adding a missing ' (using new technique of course!)

Too bad you have no idea how to use an apostrophe. :rolleyes:

Reactions: banu63

AC10

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2010
Tips

Both shift keys simultaneously = Caps LOCK

If your ipad locks up = home key and power key for 30 secs resets the device.

Want to download docs and create file folders = use GoodReader
:D

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory

to download a web pdf (for example) simply type a 'g' in front of the http and Goodreader will automatically download it.

e.g.: ghttp://.......

medicscott

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
san diego

so your saying i could keep lets my resume (pages) on my ipad?

AC10

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2010
Anything

I have word, excel, ppt and PDFs all in a nice file structure.

Goodreader is great.

Sent from my iPad 3G

Reactions: Macpiglet

medicscott

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
san diego
now i have dropbox, which i have some files like my resume, etc. is goodreader the same thing? or can i modify these files with goodreader?

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
My only tip is after accidentally pressing the home button because of how I was holding the iPad, I have been holding it upside down with no problems:D.

Yes, I saw someone complained that Apple messed up by putting the headphone jack at the top rather than at the bottom, so that the cord gets in the way when he uses his iPad in portrait mode. You can rotate the iPad to whatever position you want, so if you want the jack at the bottom, just rotate to the bottom.

Peter Harrison

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
UK
I wish there was a faster way too scroll in safari

Probably won't help you as it doesn't improve scrolling in any direction as such... But have you tried touching the bar at the top (with time, battery etc) while looking at any scrollabl content anywhere on the iPad? On the iPhone, this scrolls straight to the top of the page really quick.

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
To prevent pages from reloading in Safari surf with your left hand only.

ETA: if you normally surf with your left hand, use your right hand.

It's magical. It knows the difference.

murphyrulez

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2010
When setting up the wallpapers, you can pinch/zoom and pan them around to get them centered just how you like...the trick is, if you then rotate the system, you can do it again for the other orientation, and it remembers both. This way you could use a 1024x768 image, and then zoom in the portrait version so that it fills the 768x1024 screen without being ugly.

I'm not getting this to work. I pick a picture, say use as wallpaper, then zoom in and position it in portrait mode. Then I rotate the iPad and the picture flips and I zoom in and position it in landscape mode. I click set home screen, and jump out to check it, and it only remembers my positoning for the last orientation I did. In this case, landscape mode.
I tested it by zooming in tight on 2 completely different pieces of the picture.

How exactly do you make it remember both orientations?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.