Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
ThTs been my experience so far in my commute.

With the iPhone navigon would jump me around and tell me to get on the freeway when I was already on the freeway :confused:

With the iPad 3G ... It updated my position in real time while I was pulling out of my driveway ... 40 ft.

It's not optimized for the iPad and I hope that update comes ( without price gouging ) but it's much much better so far IMO

Lamplighter77

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2008
Richmond, VA
Yeah, it's been exactly the same for me. Working great on my iPad and it wasn't even really usable on my iPhone 3G. I was beginning to think I wasted that $25.

ARH1956

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
NE Alabama
Yeah, it's been exactly the same for me. Working great on my iPad and it wasn't even really usable on my iPhone 3G. I was beginning to think I wasted that $25.
Are you sure you're talking about Navigon? I don't believe it's ever been $25 and it works superbly on my iphone as well as my iPad.

Love Juice

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2008
Are you sure you're talking about Navigon? I don't believe it's ever been $25 and it works superbly on my iphone as well as my iPad.
i'd have to look, but i think i recall that they released region specific maps. i.e., se, ne, etc. for those who didnt need the whole us, and they were about that price.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Hmmmm interesting

I've got the West Region Navigon ($25) and it works well but it does get confused at times for a split second. Perhaps it benefits from the faster processor or maybe the GPS functionality in the iPad is a bit more robust.

ARH1956

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
NE Alabama
i'd have to look, but i think i recall that they released region specific maps. i.e., se, ne, etc. for those who didnt need the whole us, and they were about that price.
Ah, I bought it when it first arrived for $69 and wasn't up on the regional maps. I see that $29 regional offerings are available now.

Alectric

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2009
Navigon works great on the iPad! So much better than on my iPhone 3G. The OP beat me to creating this thread, but everything about navigon on my iPad is better. Faster to load, more responsive and best of all the GPS signal is twice as strong as my iPhone(my phone needs line-of-sight). as you can tell I'm very excited! My favorite thing about my iPhone is it's GPS capabilities. Now the iPad has added a whole new level.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
You bastards are making me regret getting a Wifi iPad. I hate all of you! :p

Well I guess I could get used to this.

ipad-car.jpg

Love Juice

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2008
i read over on gizmodo that ifixit did a teardown already, and this is probably the reason for the better gps:

* The iPad 3G has a Broadcom BCM4750UBG Single-Chip AGPS Solution, whereas the iPhone 3GS uses an Infineon Hammerhead II package. Big win for Broadcom!

dynalmadman

macrumors regular
May 1, 2010
Vegas, baby!
Since the app downloads all the map to device memory, can you navigate with this applicaiton without having a 3g data plan? I would think this would be the case since the aGPS is independent of the data plan.

Thanks,
Michael

coelacanth

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2004
Michael,

I believe you can (I use Navigon on iPhone 3GS without data or even cell service at all), but you won't be able to receive traffic information w/o data plan if you add that feature to the app via in-app purchase. Rerouting comes in very handy time to time.

Dataquest

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2007
I can hardly wait until they come out with an iPad version! I see that CoPilot live has one, but I want to wait for a better selection before purchasing an app. This should be awesome on my 3g iPad! Maybe then, I'll give my Garmin gps to my Dad for his birthday.

squint0241

macrumors member
May 10, 2008
You bastards are making me regret getting a Wifi iPad. I hate all of you! :p

Well I guess I could get used to this.

ipad-car.jpg

For those who bought the Wi-Fi only, no worries. You can still have full GPS functionality on it too! Though...you have to jailbreak your iPad first. Download "Roqy BT" from Cydia. Purchase a small GPS receiver which there are many and very cheap (Amazon has plenty). Connect your iPad using the RoqyBT (Bluetooth) to the GPS receiver and viola! You're in the game! About $40 total for the purchase of RoqyBT and a GPS receiver.

Dataquest

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2007
For those who bought the Wi-Fi only, no worries. You can still have full GPS functionality on it too! Though...you have to jailbreak your iPad first. Download "Roqy BT" from Cydia. Purchase a small GPS receiver which there are many and very cheap (Amazon has plenty). Connect your iPad using the RoqyBT (Bluetooth) to the GPS receiver and viola! You're in the game! About $40 total for the purchase of RoqyBT and a GPS receiver.

Wow, I'm glad I got the 3G iPad, then.:eek:

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
I've installed Navigon and confirmed that it runs. Haven't tried it in the car yet. (I still have to cut and bend the stalk for my RAM mount). This sounds encouraging.

I was about to request a refund for Navigon. Half the time (at least) I miss voice instructions because the sound cuts-out, and there's no "repeat" button. (music playing while in Navigon is fine - it's just the turn-by-turn instructions that cut-out.) And the UI is horribly slow. Obviously, they are using some emulation layer on the UI. And it frequently crashes (probably memory issue) on my iPhone 3G.

Navigon does come up much more quickly on the iPad, and the UI is much more responsive. It doesn't take several seconds for each keystroke as it does on the iPhone 3G.

The graphics suck, but that's the cheesy way that Apple implemented the 2X mode. That's really disappointing. NO real scaling, just bit-doubling. I guess they did that to avoid excessive CPU usage, but it looks really crude.

Would love to see them support iPad specifically, but I suppose there wouldn't be enough of a demand, and encouraging installation of an iPad in the front seat might be controversial for any company that releases an iPad navigation app.

squint0241

macrumors member
May 10, 2008
GPS solution for WiFi Only iPad owners

I've installed Navigon and confirmed that it runs. Haven't tried it in the car yet. (I still have to cut and bend the stalk for my RAM mount). This sounds encouraging.

I was about to request a refund for Navigon. Half the time (at least) I miss voice instructions because the sound cuts-out, and there's no "repeat" button. (music playing while in Navigon is fine - it's just the turn-by-turn instructions that cut-out.) And the UI is horribly slow. Obviously, they are using some emulation layer on the UI. And it frequently crashes (probably memory issue) on my iPhone 3G.

Navigon does come up much more quickly on the iPad, and the UI is much more responsive. It doesn't take several seconds for each keystroke as it does on the iPhone 3G.

The graphics suck, but that's the cheesy way that Apple implemented the 2X mode. That's really disappointing. NO real scaling, just bit-doubling. I guess they did that to avoid excessive CPU usage, but it looks really crude.

Would love to see them support iPad specifically, but I suppose there wouldn't be enough of a demand, and encouraging installation of an iPad in the front seat might be controversial for any company that releases an iPad navigation app.

Here's the stuff to get Nav on the road (WiFi iPadder's specifically):

Once RoqyBT is installed and connected to your bluetooth GPS device, you can then use any location based application on your iPad that utilizes GPS, i.e., TomTom, Navigon or Google Maps. Anywho...sure the 3G iPad version incorporates the GPS receiver, but at least there is an option for WiFi users if they choose. I just can't see spending the extra money for the 3G (plus the data plan) for lousy AT&T network speeds just for the GPS chip. This method will only cost you est. $40. Or you can spend the extra $100 plus for the 3G iPad plus a monthly data plan from AT&T...oh yeah, and have your GPS too... Think of it as a monthly payment to AT&T for their data and to use GPS. The math is easy...

Attachments

• IMG_0027.png
    IMG_0027.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_0026.png
    IMG_0026.png
    96.1 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_0025.png
    IMG_0025.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 427
  • 31FcueWg2IL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    31FcueWg2IL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 22,231

veggiedude

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2009
get a MIFI for your iPad

A MIFI unit is a portable 3G station, I think they run around $400 or more. It allows up to 5 devices to get on the net, and it acts as a WIFI hub.

There is the advantage of your iPad not knowing the source is 3G, so any app that is not suppose to work (or is limited with 3G service) will think it is a regular WIFI, and you get (the better and) regular WIFI experience.

The other advantage is that you are not limited to ATT for 3G service.

: )

J273

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2007
i read over on gizmodo that ifixit did a teardown already, and this is probably the reason for the better gps:

* The iPad 3G has a Broadcom BCM4750UBG Single-Chip AGPS Solution, whereas the iPhone 3GS uses an Infineon Hammerhead II package. Big win for Broadcom!

Does anyone know if this is the same for the iPhone 4?

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Does anyone know if this is the same for the iPhone 4?

Since iPhone 4 is using an A4 CPU, it is likely that it also contains other iPad components. In fact, I would expect it to be nearly identical to iPad in terms of its h/w architecture. So yes, it is likely that it will also have the Broadcom GPS chip.

Lightstorm66

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010
Good morning, all:
If you jailbreak your iPad (takes about 7 seconds), you can download "FullForce" on Cydia (free). It 'attempts' to run each app at the full resolution on the iPad. For a lot of apps, it doesn't work well (especially games), but I use it on about 6 apps and they look great (Facebook, Luxology, Angry Birds...)

Navigon is one of them. Although the UI looks a little funny (displays correctly with a lot of empty space) when you're inputting your destination, the maps look VERY nice (not double-pixeled).

Just my $0.02...

-Marc

Attachments

• Navigon iPad.PNG
    Navigon iPad.PNG
    345 KB · Views: 1,536
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.