Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Hi-
I got my first mac and had a horrendous time tryign to figure out why my internet was abysmal. I mean- it was far worse than my six year old pc. i bought an airport extreme (needed a new router anyway) but that did nto fix the problem. My wife's ibook had problems after leopard, and her desktop also had network issues- but it was not updated to lepard- only to 10.4.1 or whatever the latest Tiger was. So i did some searching and i wanted to post the solution here, as this seems to be frustrating the heck out out of a lot of people:

go in to your settings, click network, and click advanced. Click on DNS, and add in the DNS ips 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 It fixed the problems for me.

Namek Kural

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2007
THANK YOU!

Just got my first Mac (MacBook Pro) and had the same problem. Now it works just fine! (I'm here in Germany, using freenet as my ISP)

zamboni52

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
Colorado Springs
Hi-
I got my first mac and had a horrendous time tryign to figure out why my internet was abysmal. I mean- it was far worse than my six year old pc. i bought an airport extreme (needed a new router anyway) but that did nto fix the problem. My wife's ibook had problems after leopard, and her desktop also had network issues- but it was not updated to lepard- only to 10.4.1 or whatever the latest Tiger was. So i did some searching and i wanted to post the solution here, as this seems to be frustrating the heck out out of a lot of people:

go in to your settings, click network, and click advanced. Click on DNS, and add in the DNS ips 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 It fixed the problems for me.

What does this actually do?

sjb

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
What does this actually do?

I have not had to do this on my mac at all. But, putting in those DNS servers basically forces your computer to use what appears to be gtei.net's DNS servers. Remember, DNS is like the Internet phone book, it is what resolves a hostname 'www.macrumors.com' to an IP address '74.86.132.180'.

This really shouldn't be needed though. If the Internet was running slow before you made this change, what I would do is change it back so I was getting my DNS servers via DHCP, then I'd check to see which DNS server was listed first. It is possible that the first DNS server you are getting via DHCP is not responding, which would cause your 'sluggish' Intenet connection.

anirban

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Houston, TX
I have not had to do this on my mac at all. But, putting in those DNS servers basically forces your computer to use what appears to be gtei.net's DNS servers. Remember, DNS is like the Internet phone book, it is what resolves a hostname 'www.macrumors.com' to an IP address '74.86.132.180'.

This really shouldn't be needed though. If the Internet was running slow before you made this change, what I would do is change it back so I was getting my DNS servers via DHCP, then I'd check to see which DNS server was listed first. It is possible that the first DNS server you are getting via DHCP is not responding, which would cause your 'sluggish' Intenet connection.

My thoughts too- DNS shouldn't be required to be changed.

DocSmitty

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Manually inputting a DNS server change can be dangerous if you don't know exactly whose DNS server you are using. For example, a fairly common spyware/malware tactic is to update your DNS lookup to some server of their choice. Then, whenever you are surfing the internet, it controls what site you go to when you type in say amazon.com. It can be used to send you to malicious websites designed to steal personal information.

I'm not saying the DNS listed here will do that, I'm just saying that this is a fairly common type of attack.

Best thing to do if you believe you are having DNS issues is to contact your ISP and get alternate DNS server listings from them. Most ISPs will have several servers available, and you can test each one by setting that as your default to see if it speeds up your connection.

thagomizer

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2005
USA
A google search will reveal that a lot of people use 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2. So from the standpoing of safety, they're well known and should be ok.

But anirban and sjb are right. Your real problem is that your ISP's DNS servers are slow. You need to report the problem to them.

In 10.4, I found that by turning off IPv6 in the Network preference pane, it sped up web browsing a bit. This is because the OS was trying an IPv6 DNS resolution and failing before trying regular IPv4. I don't know if 10.5 has this problem, but it's worth trying. Go into System Preferences, Network, Configure, Configure IPv6 (button), and turn it off.

hardknox20

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2009
Help!

Thanks for posting this solution. I've had my MacBook Pro for about 3 years now and all of a sudden I'm having problems with the internet connection. It'll be good for awhile but then it'll just drop the connection. I tried to go through the aforementioned steps but I don't have Leopard so when I go to my Network, there isn't a "advanced" link. So I don't know what to do. This is driving me crazy because I mainly use my computer for the internet. Thanks!

drepacino

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2009
Network Problems with Macbook pro

I am fairly new to mac and I have a macbook pro running os x 10.5.8 leopard. I access the internet via network and have been running into problems. Frequently when accessing the internet, I get an error saying its unable to view the page (server error). I then open up System Prefs->Network-> and it always says I am connected to my network via airport. So, I run a diagnostic and my network status and ISP, internet, & Server don't have the green light indicating its working properly. I then put in all the info to connect to my network and then it works. What could possibly be wrong? I know I shouldn't have to go through this every time I want to access the internet....please help someone. I am lost here

Buzz Bumble

Oct 19, 2008
New Zealand
There was a news item on {whisper}AppleInsider.com {/whisper} a few weeks ago about Goolge setting up their own free DNS at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, which could be more trustworthy (although not necessarily as fast) than using "random" ones posted on the Internet. :)

Panayotis02

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2010
I recently installed Vodafone mobile connect and after uninstalling it I can’t connect to my old mobile internet anymore, also now I can’t connect to any wifi networks (it will find them but when I try to connect to them it says no ip or something).Can someone help me?(p.s when I uninstalled the program I mentioned earlier it say that it couldn’t remove all the files)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.