Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazygregg

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
"iTunes could not connect to the iTunes store"
"Make sure your network connection is active and try again"

I get this error about 80% of the time when trying to connect to the iTunes store. This didnt happen on my PC but it does on my new Macbook.

Here's what I have

Macbook
2.0 ghz processor - santa rosa chipset
leopard 10.5
Netgear Wireless Router WR614
Road Runner High Speed Internet
no firewall
All updates installed on Macbook.

Websites and such are fine it's ust iTunes

JNB

macrumors 604
Which store are you trying to connect to? I had an odd issue a while back where my store was changed to the UK store instead of the US store, and a bunch of stuff I knew I was looking at earlier was "not available in the Store." It's at the bottom of the page in iTunes when you have iTunes Store selected in the sidebar.

Attachments

• iTunes.jpg
    iTunes.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 613

lazygregg

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
i'm in the usa store....now my internet is messed up too...all the pc's in the house seem to be fine...

photos wont load on websites
website only half load and are really slow

i've even tried plugging my macbook directly into the router and i get the same issues.

im thinking its an issue between my mac and my netgear router

Which store are you trying to connect to? I had an odd issue a while back where my store was changed to the UK store instead of the US store, and a bunch of stuff I knew I was looking at earlier was "not available in the Store." It's at the bottom of the page in iTunes when you have iTunes Store selected in the sidebar.

lazygregg

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
it was my router. i ust bought a linksys wireless g and all problems have been fixed :)

Stavros

macrumors newbie
I have the same issue. I tried a Philips and a Netgear router but I cannot get connected. Strangely enough, I could get connected through my Netgear router a week ago.
Also Quicktime cannot get to the internet. Any thoughts? Is there a chance that there is a malicious software blocking Itunes and Quicktime from accessing the internet.

I have a SR MBP..

UPDATE:
a forgotten automatic proxy setting was causing the connectivity issue. Removed the automatic setting of proxy and now works fine.

ST-PC user

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2008
error 3256 itunes

Hi, I had the same error message when I tried to login to itunes stores. For several day, I struggled with this.
Well, I finally fixed it ......

I remembered changing the network setting on Safari

Open Safari -> Edit -> Preferences ->
Click on the Advanced tab -> click on "Change Settings" button
Go to LAN settings
Untick the "Use a Proxy server for your LAN..."
Click OK
Close Safari
That should do it... Looks like Itunes has some sort of link to Safari in relation to network proxies

Let me know if this works

Cheers
ST

nenanatalia

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2009
Hi, I had the same error message when I tried to login to itunes stores. For several day, I struggled with this.
Well, I finally fixed it ......

I remembered changing the network setting on Safari

Open Safari -> Edit -> Preferences ->
Click on the Advanced tab -> click on "Change Settings" button
Go to LAN settings
Untick the "Use a Proxy server for your LAN..."
Click OK
Close Safari
That should do it... Looks like Itunes has some sort of link to Safari in relation to network proxies

Let me know if this works

Cheers
ST

in my iTunes I dont have any (change settings button) :( can you help me?? i have the same problem :(

jedivm1

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2009
in my iTunes I dont have any (change settings button) :( can you help me?? i have the same problem :(

Well, on my pc with windows xp ;), I had also the "itunes could not connect to istore" problem ..

The default browser on my pc, was internet explorer 6, but the browser I usually work with is firefox. For also some time internet explorer had a problem connecting to the internet, but as firefox was working fine, I wasnt to bothered with it.

The change settings button of the apple safari browser, took me in my case to the "internet options" "option" of the internet explorer 6 browser. And indeed, by fixing the internet explorer 6 problem, as explained before, by turning of the "proxy" thing, in the "tools/internet options/connections/lan settings" of the internet explorer browser, not only the internet explorer browser could connect back to the internet, but so could itunes to the itunes store..

Greetz,
Jedi

Maximara

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
bump really need help with this

Don't bump threads it won't get it answered any faster as you have seen. This is a repost of thepossible solution over at Apple discussions; they don't work for me and I am past the 90 days of free phone support and am too far from a Mac Genius (about 300 miles) but they may work for others:

A) Step 1: tick checkbox to disable iTunes Store within iTunes / preferences / parental

Step 2: tick checkbox to allow access to iTunes U (this is just below where you do step 1 in iTunes preferences)

Step 3: quit iTunes then open iTunes

Step 4: undo step 2 and step 1 above (re-enabling iTunes Store within iTunes / preferences / parental)

Step 5: quit iTunes and open iTunes again and then sign into your iTunes account

(provided by Muezh and Millians clarified by Dashford)

B) delete the itune.com preferences (Search for itunes.com in ~/Library/preferences)

C) open Safari and see if it can connect. If it doesn't (but Firefox does) go to advanced preferences and unchecked all proxies (suggested by peterlesser)

D) Open Keychain Access (it's in the utilities folder). Run Keychain First aid and fix any errors. If that doesn't work reset your keychain (don't worry any saved keychians will be preserved)

E) Open Disk Utility and fix disk permissions

F) Check the internet connection path using Network Utility (it is in the utilities folder) and a site called network-tools.com using the tools ping and trace. You will being checking phobos.apple.com, albert.apple.com, gs.apple.com, and itunes.apple.com. Ping them first and any that come back either * * * or Timed out do a trace on. This will help tell you if the problem is with your ISP or between you and Apple (some internet node DNS go flaky and can't relay some sites).

G) If none of this works and you are still within your 90 days or close to a Mac Genius call Apple.

Hope this long winded list helps.

chng238

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2010
Don't bump threads it won't get it answered any faster as you have seen. This is a repost of thepossible solution over at Apple discussions; they don't work for me and I am past the 90 days of free phone support and am too far from a Mac Genius (about 300 miles) but they may work for others:

A) Step 1: tick checkbox to disable iTunes Store within iTunes / preferences / parental

Step 2: tick checkbox to allow access to iTunes U (this is just below where you do step 1 in iTunes preferences)

Step 4: undo step 2 and step 1 above (re-enabling iTunes Store within iTunes / preferences / parental)

Step 5: quit iTunes and open iTunes again and then sign into your iTunes account

(provided by Muezh and Millians clarified by Dashford)

B) delete the itune.com preferences (Search for itunes.com in ~/Library/preferences)

C) open Safari and see if it can connect. If it doesn't (but Firefox does) go to advanced preferences and unchecked all proxies (suggested by peterlesser)

D) Open Keychain Access (it's in the utilities folder). Run Keychain First aid and fix any errors. If that doesn't work reset your keychain (don't worry any saved keychians will be preserved)

E) Open Disk Utility and fix disk permissions

F) Check the internet connection path using Network Utility (it is in the utilities folder) and a site called network-tools.com using the tools ping and trace. You will being checking phobos.apple.com, albert.apple.com, gs.apple.com, and itunes.apple.com. Ping them first and any that come back either * * * or Timed out do a trace on. This will help tell you if the problem is with your ISP or between you and Apple (some internet node DNS go flaky and can't relay some sites).

G) If none of this works and you are still within your 90 days or close to a Mac Genius call Apple.

Hope this long winded list helps.

Thank you sir....

I just follow the step 1 to 5. it done i can connect to itune store...your help are much better than apple hotline....

Thank you again

Maximara

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Thank you sir....

I just follow the step 1 to 5. it done i can connect to itune store...your help are much better than apple hotline....

Thank you again

Glad to have help. I finally solved my problem. It turned out to be caused by a overseas CD (Big O soundtrack) that I had added to my iTunes list. After deleting all the sound files for that CD I was able to connect.

mhtahir

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2007
Still i have problem

Still i have problem ,itunes could not connecting to itune store,
even my mac could not connect to apple update server.

Itune is working on PC(WinXP) on same router.

Please Help

josepcarames

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2011
... but they may work for others:

I just registered to say: THANK YOU!! Finally I could fix this problem, thank to your suggestion.

REALLY THANK YOU!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.