Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

021720-printing.jpg

Since Steve Jobs has taken it upon himself to answer customer queries, he becomes a frequently cited source for what Apple is working on. According to one reader, Steve Jobs replied to an email asking why there are no printing capabilities on the iPad. Steve Jobs reportedly replied "It will come."

While these email replies can be difficult to authenticate, previous rumors have claimed that Apple is indeed working on printing to make the iPad more appealing to enterprise customers.

Article Link: Steve Jobs Says Printing "Will Come" for iPad

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
It will be interesting to see how Apple solves this issue.

Gut feeling is that it will be different than the traditional approach using device/OS side print drivers like a regular desktop/laptop print solution.

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
"It will come"

So will death. Personally I'm waiting for the option of a proper cursor (so you can add a mouse) and a proper OS. Cue the fanboys dribbling that I "don't get it", new paradigm, blah blah blah.

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
"It will come"

So will death. Personally I'm waiting for the option of a proper cursor (so you can add a mouse) and a proper OS. Cue the fanboys dribbling that I "don't get it", new paradigm, blah blah blah.

Oh wait let me guess, you want full OS X, mouse and keyboard. You know Apple already makes something like that. It's called a notebook, they have several. You should try one.

plexdk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
I have a feeling that the iPhoneOS 4.0 for iPad will contain some more tweaks and stuff, which are not part of the beta versions.

Don't tell me an iPad branch with the exact same features, will be half a year delayed just because its on iPad.

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
Oh wait let me guess, you want full OS X, mouse and keyboard. You know Apple already makes something like that. It's called a notebook, they have several. You should try one.

The notebook is much bigger, heavier and has no touchscreen. Meanwhile, there is no technical reason why the iPad can't have a cursor, mouse and a proper OS.

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
I'd be happy with printing to PDF and sending the files over to my MobileMe storage. As it is now I have to take screen shots whenever I purchase something online while using the iPad.

RebelScum

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
Toronto

Eesh, snarky.

I'm with the OP; if the iPad didn;t have a gimped OS, I would've considered buying one. As it is, I already have one, though it's a touch smaller :p

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
The notebook is much bigger, heavier and has no touchscreen. Meanwhile, there is no technical reason why the iPad can't have a cursor, mouse and a proper OS.

You want a touch screen and mouse support? You do realize this is Apple and that is never going to happen on this device. Perhaps the iMac and notebooks in the future but not on a device that was made specifically for multi-touch. You're dreaming of some fantasy device that won't happen. It's like asking for a 4 cylinder on a Ferrari so you can get better gas mileage. A Ferrari is not designed for gas mileage it desgned for speed. The iPad is designed for multi-touch not a mouse. There is no technical reason why a Ferrari can't have great gas mileage. Too bad it was not designed for that purpose.

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY

Why would you want to lug around a mouse with a portable tablet? You'd have to bring along some sort of stand and have somewhere to set it down.

And why would you want only 1 input trigger when you have 10? Apple would never do that. Not only would the whole OS and philosophy change, but every app developer needs to completely rethink their interface strategies too.

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
You want a touch screen and mouse support? You do realize this is Apple and that is never going to happen on this device. Perhaps the iMac and notebooks in the future but not on a device that was made specifically for multi-touch. You're dreaming of some fantasy device that won't happen. It's like asking for a 4 cylinder on a Ferrari so you can get better gas mileage. A Ferrari is not designed for gas mileage it desgned for speed. The iPad is designed for multi-touch not a mouse. There is no technical reason why a Ferrari can't have great gas mileage. Too bad it was not designed for that purpose.

Thank you for proving my original post correct. Porsche recently came out with a hybrid V8 design that has amazing power and fuel economy. Looks like they are going to put it into production. That alone makes your post sound pretty silly, but also that somehow a touchscreen (you can always spot the fan boy because they always use the marketing term "multitouch") precludes a mouse. How? Why? Have you ever tried to select text with your finger on one of these devices? It's a disaster. If you're right why does it support a hardware keyboard and not a hardware mouse? It's just a stupid notion that a more accurate pointing device cannot be used when available. I dare you to try to come up with a logical, cogent argument why this isn't the case. But it's not possible.

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
Why would you want to lug around a mouse with a portable tablet? You'd have to bring along some sort of stand and have somewhere to set it down.

And why would you want only 1 input trigger when you have 10? Apple would never do that. Not only would the whole OS and philosophy change, but every app developer needs to completely rethink their interface strategies too.

Yes, anything that the device supports you are required by law to carry with you: keyboard, tv, speakers...

Using ten fingers doesn't mean they are more accurate than a mouse, in fact they are profoundly less accurate.

Mr Skills

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
The big question now is whether it will be able to print directly (e.g. with a wireless printer or airport express), or whether it's going to work with a printer that's attached to a computer on the network.

(Oh, and I hope the people arguing about the iPad in general can get their own thread - this should be about printing!)

natvalente

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2010
You

You obviously don't understand that something has to give.

with more size comes better hardware, better hardware will enable a full running os.

With less size, comes hardware that is completely and utterly dependant on battery, which means it needs to be efficient. a full running OS, wont be efficient.

Also why would you need a cursor if its touch screen? do you not know where your finger is?

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
Thank you for proving my original post correct. Porsche recently came out with a hybrid V8 design that has amazing power and fuel economy. Looks like they are going to put it into production. That alone makes your post sound pretty silly, but also that somehow a touchscreen (you can always spot the fan boy because they always use the marketing term "multitouch") precludes a mouse. How? Why? Have you ever tried to select text with your finger on one of these devices? It's a disaster. If you're right why does it support a hardware keyboard and not a hardware mouse? It's just a stupid notion that a more accurate pointing device cannot be used when available. I dare you to try to come up with a logical, cogent argument why this isn't the case. But it's not possible.

Yes I read Autoblog and Jalopnik I know all about the Porsche. Too bad it uses advance technology and will cost most likely more than the average Porsche. Throwing a 4 cylinder in a Ferrari would be cheap and something the company would never do to achieve fuel economy, it goes against their philosophy and heritage. Like I said these cars are designed with speed in mind first. Apple may find a way to have another option of interacting with a tablet in the future but it won't be with a mouse. It's opposite of their philosophy with such a device. Ferrari will find a way to implement fuel economy but it sure as hell won't be with a 4 cylinder.

scottness

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2009
Room 101
nutjob said:
"It will come"

Typical nutjob type of response. Since you're not finding what you're looking for at Apple, why not try purchasing a 'superior' product elsewhere? :rolleyes:

Looking forward to printing support!

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Awesome. I'd love to think we could just leave printing behind, like the floppy disk, but we're not there yet. It is still very much a needed function for many people.

As for the print driver bloat problem, doesn't Snow Leopard already download print drivers on an as-needed basis, instead of installing them all?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.