Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NexusEclipse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
Like people had mentioned on other threads it is possible to add fonts if the iPad is jailbroken and it seems to work system wide (Safari, Keynote and Good Reader (pdf) pick up the new font). I assume that since Good Reader work it is actually using the fonts in the keynote file/pdf, but I will try on my Mac at home later to confirm. For all those with font issues, if working on iPad is a must its an easy enough fix.

I followed the instructions found here for the most part but used Mac's Property List Editor to make the changes.

http://blog.gauravgiri.com/2008/08/tutorial-adding-extra-fonts-to-iphone/

1. Backup your SHSH blobs and Jailbreak your iPad
2. Install OpenSSH from Cydia
3. Log into your iPad using Cyberduck (it will automatically detect it on Bonjour - root is the username and the default password is alpine)
4. Copy the font you wish to add to the [/System/Library/Fonts/] folder (needs to be ttf or tcc)
5. Copy the CGFontCache.plist to your desktop and open it in Property List Editor (should be on your system under Developer/Applications/Utilities if you installed the additional components from your Snow Leopard Disc)
6. Add an entry under Names (the default type string is fine) for what you want to call the font (in my case Eenadu) and make a reference to the files location as the value [System/Library/Fonts/Cache/Eenadu.ttf].
7. Add an entry below in the trait mappings with the name the font will be used and what ttf it references (mine is simple and just refers back to eenadu for the "plain" type) I used Academy Engraved LET as a template. The more complicated fonts already on the iPad will work as templates for the more complicated font sets.
8. Save the file. Back up the existing CGFontCache.plist in a separate folder and upload new file.
9. Reboot the iPad. Make sure to uninstall OpenSSH or change your root and mobile password. Otherwise your system could be compromised.

I know 6 and 7 aren't very clear but hopefully the attachements will help clear up the confusion.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• Before.CGFontCache.plist.txt
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,641
  • After.CGFontCache.plist.txt
    11.7 KB · Views: 1,386

FastangV6

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
Does the FontSwap JB app that works on the iPhone also work on the iPad? It is very quick/easy to do on the iPhone with this app.

NexusEclipse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
Font Swap not working yet on iPad

Does the FontSwap JB app that works on the iPhone also work on the iPad? It is very quick/easy to do on the iPhone with this app.

Tried font swap but it doesnt seem to add any fonts (at least not its current version). The font doesn't install nor is available in Keynote. The person who made that app is the same one I sourced when I added fonts to it so he may enable/update it in the future.

The upside to doing it manually is that you can add any font that is available in TTF/TCC but not supported

FastangV6

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
Thanks for the followup and how-to. I can see how this would be helpful now. Here's hoping someone eventually creates an iPad specific JB app to automate this.

ciaran00

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Don't forget to change your ttf files to permissions 644 or they won't show up on the list.

After install you have new fonts in all your apps. Awesome.

ciaran00

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
This is not working for me, particularly Lucida Typewriter. Hmm.

The font cache is REAL finicky. I can't figure it out. Sometimes a reference keeps crashing the font list, sometimes not. No clue - very frustrating.

vetri911

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2010
Madras, India
I can't seem to copy the CGFontCache.plist file from my iPad on to my computer . It shows up as a 0 KB file on the file explorer. I tried with my iPod touch as well . It doesn't copy to my computer at all . I tried with other files on the idevices and they transferred fine.

Anybody have a solution for this ?

EDIT : on my iPod there is no "CGFontCache.plist" file . There is "CGFontCache@2x.plist" file .

Last edited:

schimanke

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
You can now also change the fonts on your device without jailbreaking it!

For everybody who is sick and tired of not being able to use custom fonts in their documents on their iOS devices I might have a solution.

I ran into similar problems and took this as my motivation to develop "AnyFont". With this little app you are able to install all the fonts you need for your presentations on your iPhone or iPad. So when your are using Calibri in your presentation and get the error message after importing it on your iPad you can use AnyFont to install Calibri on your device which makes the error message go away and lets you use Calibri in your presentation.

Let me know how you like it!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/anyfont/id821560738?mt=8

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.