Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
Anyone else getting this when trying to install Portal?

The Steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request. Please try again in a few minutes.

Welcome to steam my friend; you might as well get used to that message - you'll be seeing a lot more of it.

joshjoshlol

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2009
just played a few levels of portal. anybody else noticing a jumpy field of view on it as they move? i'm on a 3.06 24" imac with an ATI radeon hd 2600 pro and the mighty mouse

roxnadz

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2006
*sigh*

When I click on "Login to an Existing Account", I get:

"Unable to connect to the Steam network. 'Offline Mode' is unavailable because there is no Steam login information stored on this computer.

You will not be able to use Steam until you can..."

What ports does this thing need access to in order to work?

Edit: Nev mind! Google is my friend. http://www.resoo.org/docs/counterstrike/steam_ports.html

ert3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007
it would seem that steam play is only going to be retro-active for Valve Games where as my ownership of Civilization4 is not being honored for steamplay.

AppleFusion

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2010
UK
That servers are too busy message didn't come up when I tried it for at least the 10th time. Persistence pays off :)

I wish the download would hurry up though. Time remaining: 2 hours 7 minutes at approx 150kbps.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Yeah... you guys are totally right. It looks like I'm going to have to lower my expectations a bit here. I guess I just forgot this is a first release. I've just been so anxious to finally not have to reboot anymore that I was kind of irritated when it didn't work.

Just give it some time. This is a long time in coming for the Mac platform. We just took a huge step. This is a massive transition for both the Mac platform and the industry. Things will only get better.

Chuushajou

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2010
London
hahaa. Wooo <3

Killingfloormac.png

nickjf20

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
*sigh*

When I click on "Login to an Existing Account", I get:

"Unable to connect to the Steam network. 'Offline Mode' is unavailable because there is no Steam login information stored on this computer.

You will not be able to use Steam until you can..."

What ports does this thing need access to in order to work?

Do you have a fat32 windows partition (so mac can see it ) ?
because i found that you have to
a)trash the windows steam files :(
b)hide the windows steam files :eek: which i dont know how to do :D

if you have steam installed on crossover, thatll also mess with mac steam

Stepint0sh

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
The Netherlands
Thats more than enough time to play it to death and get the chevos

True, I agree! But if you want to play it somewhere in the future (for fun and giggles) you have to buy it for almost 30 euro's (not sure in dollars). That's a bit much, I'm going to have to wait for a discount then. :)

Imperil

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2008
Oh, don't worry, I do have a two buttoned mouse, I would never have one buttoned.

It just cannot believe that statement. Mac's have had two buttoned mouses for years.
They have to say it because it means a *real* two button mouse. Try playing an FPS with a Magic Mouse... you can't hold down right click and then do a left click at the same time... same thing with the old puck mouse. They do NOT work like regular two button mice which is why that statement is needed.

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
Copying from Windows work!

Is there anyway to save download time by copying over the GCF files from my windows partition?

I realize the code will be new to support OpenGL, etc. But it seems like most of the texture and graphic files will be identical. Seems like a lot of time and bandwidth could be saved if we could copy over the files and then just have the needed Mac updates applied.

IT WORKS IT WORKS! Save yourself some download time if you already have Portal installed on a Boot Camp partition.

I copied the following files from my Windows 7 install:

portal content.gcf
portal english.gcf
source 2007 shared materials.gcf
source 2007 shared models.gcf
source 2007 shared sounds.gcf
source materials.gcf
source models.gcf
source sounds.gcf

Total size 4.71 GB

This left me with only:

source 2007 mac binaries.gcf (128.6 MB)

that I had to download. So about 3 minutes to copy and another 2 to download and Portal fires up just fine. I even ran the "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" option and it reports everything is 100%.

CSilver

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2009
Canada
I just installed and registered to Steam... but for some reason it is saying server is down... I can't log in!!!

Anyone else having the same problem??

Edit: Alright nvm... I can get to the log in screen now!!! I am very excited!!!
Edit 2: Wow... Can not log in to Steam server... weird....

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
They have to say it because it means a *real* two button mouse. Try playing an FPS with a Magic Mouse... you can't hold down right click and then do a left click at the same time... same thing with the old puck mouse. They do NOT work like regular two button mice.
Yeah, good point actually. I cant stand the Magic/Mighty Mouse.

I just think it's common sense though, and there is no need to actually say anything about it. Like when your milk carton says "WARNING: This product contains milk" on it.

eatmyjustice

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2008
Washington, USA
At least you got to download it. For me, clicking on "Get portal now" always throws me back to the same exact page.

FAIL! But hopefully it'll work tomorrow...

Mine did the same thing but it also placed Portal in my library and I was able to start the download from there.

Microcuts

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2009
It seems the Valve servers are very well able to handle the traffic.
I'm currently downloading Portal @ 5.2 MB/s :D

themat

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2008
Manchester, UK
ooooooo

Downloaded and installed fine, crashed once when viewing videos/screenshots of a game. Just bought Torchlight but my download speed is between 0 and 50kpbs =.=, I assume that's due to a lot of people trying to download it. However Portal downloaded at 5mpbs :S

djhash

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2010
Just posting this here, maybe helps someone...

Code:
A Steam client update is now available. To apply the update, click the File menu inside of Steam and then select "Check for Steam Client Updates...". The specific changes include:

Steam Client
[B]Win32 side support for Steam Play / Steam Cloud integration with upcoming Mac titles[/B]
Fix a regression causing Steam to fail if installed in a path with non-ascii characters
Fix to grant achievements based on stat progress if progress is 100% but the achievement was not previously granted
Fix a case where opt-in free games like the Counter-Strike: Source Beta would not appear in the library view until installed.

*whistles nonchalantly as he leaves*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.