Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Looks like there may be a major bug here. I JB'd my 32GB 3GS (latest FW and Baseband). Immediately after jailbreaking I was having issues where the signal would go from 5 bars to none, then Searching...

I first figured it was network, but everyone else's phone works in the same location just fine, and then I went to Apple and had the phone replaced. Prior to Spirit JB it was working fine, post JB same thing, it loses signal every 10-20 minutes for 2-3 minutes at a time.

I then replaced the SIM with AT&T to eliminate that as the issue. No luck.

I thought maybe it's something I'm installing or doing, so I JB'd my friends phone with Spirit and his computer and now his is doing the same thing.

Finally I restored to original settings and all is fine. Clearly there's an issue with Spirit that needs to be addressed. As there's no alternative for my unit at present, does anyone have a similar experience?

How would I report this issue to the Spirit Dev Team? It obviously needs to be addressed.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I'm having the same problem. I used Spirit on my 32GB 3GS. I'm going to restore to the factory OS now to see if it helps narrow down the issue. I'm not sure if it's Spirit or not.

Hopefully it isn't Spirit though. Just bought LockInfo today!

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
I'm having the same problem. I used Spirit on my 32GB 3GS. I'm going to restore to the factory OS now to see if it helps narrow down the issue. I'm not sure if it's Spirit or not.

Hopefully it isn't Spirit though. Just bought LockInfo today!

Unfortunately I've confirmed it is for sure Spirit.... however I can't determine what would cause it, hence why I'm going to this community.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Hmm, getting error 1015 when I try to restore to stock 3.1.3 now...grr.

Thought this error was typical only when trying to downgrade?

Edit: iRecovery got it working again. Now i'll see if my signal drops out today.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Hmm, getting error 1015 when I try to restore to stock 3.1.3 now...grr.

Thought this error was typical only when trying to downgrade?

It's not, I've restored 3 Spirit JB'd just fine. Re-download the firmware file. It's something you've got going on. Do a wipe on the device (settings, general, reset all)... then try it again :)

We need resolution to the Spirit issue though. Are there any alternatives to spirit yet to JB a 3GS with the latest FW?

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
It's not, I've restored 3 Spirit JB'd just fine. Re-download the firmware file. It's something you've got going on. Do a wipe on the device (settings, general, reset all)... then try it again :)

We need resolution to the Spirit issue though. Are there any alternatives to spirit yet to JB a 3GS with the latest FW?

I think it's left over from when I downgraded from 4.0 back to 3.1.3

It seems there's something still lingering that gives me the 1015 error whenever I try to restore to 3.1.3. Oh well. 3G service seems pretty good so far on the stock 3.1.3

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
I think it's left over from when I downgraded from 4.0 back to 3.1.3

It seems there's something still lingering that gives me the 1015 error whenever I try to restore to 3.1.3. Oh well. 3G service seems pretty good so far on the stock 3.1.3

Yeah I can confirm 100% it's an issue with Spirit as I've tested 3 devices all with the same issue. Spirit = Loss of network connectivity and "searching..." and without spirit they run fine... This is nuts... I posted a comment on the spirit facebook page, don't know of they check it, but they don't have a blog\forum like the other JB's did. I knew I should have waited for a more reputable JB source, lol.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Take this FWIW, but I did the JB with Spirit a few days ago (first time I've been jailbroken) on my 16GB 3GS and I'm not having any of these issues.

The one thing I would point out, at least what jumped out at me when reading both your responses, is that one of you is from New York and the other is from San Francisco. Those are the two places I've always noticed people on here griping about AT&T's service. I don't know...maybe that has nothing to do with it, but that's what jumped out at me.

Signals strength for me here in central Kentucky since the JB has been great.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
So

If thr problem is Spirit then how come I don't have issue? Oh I got good Spirit you got bad, evil spirit. Sorry love that joke. Honestly not seeing your issue here. Oh Spirit is the only option 3.1.3 3GS and will likley be it till 4.0 is released and jb.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Does anyone know if this would even be possible (for the Spirit JB to mess with your signal?) It's only a jailbreak. I could see if it was an unlock...but doesn't that mean it doesn't really touch any of the stuff that would have to do with making calls/having a good signal? In case it's not obvious...i really have absolutely no idea what goes into a jailbreak. I'm sure I could be very wrong. :p

I'm not ready to blame Spirit yet. We'll see how my isolated test goes.

I did frequently have the Searching... issue prior to JB'ing, but it seems much worse now (although that is hardly scientific.)

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Take this FWIW, but I did the JB with Spirit a few days ago (first time I've been jailbroken) on my 16GB 3GS and I'm not having any of these issues.

The one thing I would point out, at least what jumped out at me when reading both your responses, is that one of you is from New York and the other is from San Francisco. Those are the two places I've always noticed people on here griping about AT&T's service. I don't know...maybe that has nothing to do with it, but that's what jumped out at me.

Signals strength for me here in central Kentucky since the JB has been great.

I knew that comment was coming from someone, it was only a matter of time. Yes, it very well could be a factor, especially since we're both in the two markets AT&T has overlaid both 800 and 1900 mhz spectrum.

With that said, the ISSUE is still a result of jailbreaking. If the NY and SF markets, the two with both 800 and 1900 mhz spectrum are the ones that are revealing the issue, it's still an issue with Spirit's Jailbreak nonetheless.

At the end of the day the issue exists. The testing method I've used proved it to be a Spirit issue. 3 devices, 3 geographic locales (albeit all within the SF market), both pre JB, post JB, then reverting back to original Apple SW\FW... the issue is without a doubt with the Spirit JB. That does point out a good idea tho, that it may be surrounding the 800\1900 overlay, however it's not because of ATT's crap network. It's always been crap, but signal doesn't just disappear and go to Searching, this is certainly a software issue.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Does anyone know if this would even be possible (for the Spirit JB to mess with your signal?) It's only a jailbreak. I could see if it was an unlock...but doesn't that mean it doesn't really touch any of the stuff that would have to do with making calls/having a good signal? In case it's not obvious...i really have absolutely no idea what goes into a jailbreak. I'm sure I could be very wrong. :p

I'm not ready to blame Spirit yet. We'll see how my isolated test goes.

I did frequently have the Searching... issue prior to JB'ing, but it seems much worse now (although that is hardly scientific.)

I live within 300 feet of an ATT tower and the issue is backhaul in SF, not actual signal... signal in SF is fine, always 5 bars, the reason calls gets dropped is not no bars, it's no backhaul (within the network) to support the load. I've never had "Searching..." until I used Spirit Jailbreak.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I live within 300 feet of an ATT tower and the issue is backhaul in SF, not actual signal... signal in SF is fine, always 5 bars, the reason calls gets dropped is not no bars, it's no backhaul (within the network) to support the load. I've never had "Searching..." until I used Spirit Jailbreak.

Interesting. Yeah, I definitely have had a ton of times where a call failed or i couldn't initiate a call even though I had 5 bars of 3G and I felt like throwing my iPhone on the ground and stomping it to pieces :)

Now that I think of it, most of the times I had a bad signal was in my basement. Which is entirely expected. But after the Spirit JB I was having No Service and Searching... in the second floor of my house right near a window (where I never previously had signal issues.)

So far, on stock 3.1.3, I have had solid service. I'm going to stay on stock for a few days to be sure, then re-jb and see how it goes.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Interesting. Yeah, I definitely have had a ton of times where a call failed or i couldn't initiate a call even though I had 5 bars of 3G and I felt like throwing my iPhone on the ground and stomping it to pieces :)

Now that I think of it, most of the times I had a bad signal was in my basement. Which is entirely expected. But after the Spirit JB I was having No Service and Searching... in the second floor of my house right near a window (where I never previously had signal issues.)

So far, on stock 3.1.3, I have had solid service. I'm going to stay on stock for a few days to be sure, then re-jb and see how it goes.

Yep you're experiencing the exact same thing as me. And I have two iphone identical models sitting right next to each other, one JB'd with Spirit and one not, and the Spirit JB is SCREWED UP. NOT an AT&T issue this time.

I'm wondering if manually upgrading the carrier file might have a positive affect on it? Think so? Anyone know how to force a carrier file update? And is there a source for the ATT 6.0 that anyone recommends?

B737

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
NJ
Central east coast NJ here...
Spirit JB on 3.1.3 32gig 3GS

Actually just got my older device replaced by apple earlier today so its one of the latest 3GS's

No such signal issues or anomalies, been using the phone all day

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Central east coast NJ here...
Spirit JB on 3.1.3 32gig 3GS

Actually just got my older device replaced by apple earlier today so its one of the latest 3GS's

No such signal issues or anomalies, been using the phone all day

Right. We've isolated the issue to the markets where ATT has overlap in frequencies. No sense in posting if you don't have anything to contribute. It clearly isn't affecting the bulk of users, so you're just wasting replies by stating it doesn't affect you.

B737

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
NJ
Right. We've isolated the issue to the markets where ATT has overlap in frequencies. No sense in posting if you don't have anything to contribute. It clearly isn't affecting the bulk of users, so you're just wasting replies by stating it doesn't affect you.

um not really. your claiming that its an overall Spirit issue.

did i mention its not effecting my phone?

actually, im pretty certain that my area has the frequency overlap as well...

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
um not really. your claiming that its an overall Spirit issue.

did i mention its not effecting my phone?

actually, im pretty certain that my area has the frequency overlap as well...

No, new jersey doesn't have dual frequency. Look it up. Only the NY metro area and SF Metro and LA Metro have overlap... they did it as a short-term fix. Some areas have both 800 and 1900, but not OVERLAPPING and I think that's the issue, is going between the two in one position... There are places especially in the midwest where they might have 800 then two blocks down there's 1900, but here in SF they have both signals coming from the same tower.

And yes, it's an overall Spirit issue. I guarantee it'd affect you if you're attempting to use your iPhone in a locale that has the dual frequency towers... it's just not affecting you at the moment because you're not in an affected demographic for the bug. Just like any bug, a bug is a bug and it affects all users, however most users don't experience the detrimental effect as they're a result of a specific event (in this case going between 800 and 1900 mhz towers in a dual-blanket area)

B737

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
NJ
well, i'll tell ya what big guy...
Since i work in NYC, when i go there tomorrow... i'll post back...

complexchi

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
I read the whole thread so i know you think it has something to do with the overlapping. I'm in chicago but after JB i had serious issues with signal. same thing that you're having. Called ATT and of course the lady didn't help at all. Called back the next day and to make a long story short the kid re-registered my phone on the network. I had to do some restart thing but it fixed the problem. Not sure if it'll help you but worth a shot.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I read the whole thread so i know you think it has something to do with the overlapping. I'm in chicago but after JB i had serious issues with signal. same thing that you're having. Called ATT and of course the lady didn't help at all. Called back the next day and to make a long story short the kid re-registered my phone on the network. I had to do some restart thing but it fixed the problem. Not sure if it'll help you but worth a shot.

That's good news. If it keeps up after I re-jb I'll give AT&T a call and see what they can do for me.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006

HAHAHA... that's a gimmick. You're either connected to the network or not. I encourage you to research the authentication on a GSM network. I always think it's funny when ATT offers to remove and re-add me to the network.

complexchi

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
HAHAHA... that's a gimmick. You're either connected to the network or not. I encourage you to research the authentication on a GSM network. I always think it's funny when ATT offers to remove and re-add me to the network.

While that may be true, it really doesn't matter to me, whatever they did fixed the issue with my reception. Just trying to help out.

tmuller

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2008

I'm surprised you are not glowing.....that's pretty close to a tower. You must be either right underneath it or able to see it out your window.

That aside, the reason why you get "searching...." is because it's looking for another tower for some reason and can't seem to find it and then bouncing back to the one that you are on. it's like it's saying that my neighbor is X and your phone thinks you are closer to X that doesn't exist than Y which is 500 feet away.

This points to faulty neighbor information in the cell towers on AT&T's side or faulty information regarding which MSC that the BSC can contact for hand over.

tmuller

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2008

I think you need to re-read what you read.

The home location of your phone on a GSM network either allows or denies you access to the network. If you phone's IMEI is not in a home location, you will NEVER BE ABLE TO CONNECT, regardless which GSM network you try to connect to.

What that does is tell the GSM phone providers who query for your IMEI number at your home location, whether a) you are a trusted device and b) whether we'll get paid to let you on their network or not!

The point of adding and removing is more of a refresh of authorization. The towers tend to cache certain authorizations and not accept new ones. Removing the authorization and readding it tends to clear it (don't blame AT&T, it's their damn vendor software doing this).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.