Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
But you loose the bigadv unit every time almost no?

That is true, unfortunately with my new i7980x I haven't gotten any bigadv units yet, I may need to reinstall folding to see if that works, which means losing a normal unit... And most of the problems were before I had folding going anyway.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
It will be easier once you get moved.

yeah it should be. i'll be there to fix any problems then

But it's so fun cursing at the thing because you did something wrong and have to reboot into the firmware yet again. Ahhh, but once you get it right it feels good that you only took 3 days this time, the last time took a week or more :p each time gets a little less painful, usually anyway. :rolleyes:

haha, yeah it can be fun....when it works. not so fun when things aren't working. but i'll get it

But you loose the bigadv unit every time almost no?

i wouldn't say that. it seems this is the only area where i've been kinda lucky. i haven't lost as many bigadv units as some, but i have lost a few

That is true, unfortunately with my new i7980x I haven't gotten any bigadv units yet, I may need to reinstall folding to see if that works, which means losing a normal unit... And most of the problems were before I had folding going anyway.

yeah i'm sorry to hear no bigadv units for that monster. yeah reinstalling fah might help. let us know how it goes

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well i'm just having all kinds of problems. i noticed i had 2 of my systems down! the alienware and the home built rig - both were running 3.7 ghz, go figure.

so i decided to drive the 1.5 hours back to my apartment and check on them. i drove thru a storm to get here, and the power had flickered! so everything, including my server had restarted! good thing i decided to make the drive.

so hopefully i can get things straight here, and then i still gotta drive back and go to work in the am

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
well i wouldn't say that. it wouldn't be as big of a deal if i was at the machine everyday, then a quick change of a few settings and it's back up. but being away, this is not fun.

your very dedicated ;)

have you set up any sort of remote capabilities? so you can remote into each system etc just incase there is something wrong - or to check up on heat?

what are you guy's rigs!?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
your very dedicated ;)

have you set up any sort of remote capabilities? so you can remote into each system etc just incase there is something wrong - or to check up on heat?

what are you guy's rigs!?

haha thanks. i try to be.

i thought about doing this, and it wouldn't be very hard to do, but if something goes wrong, there's really nothing i can do remotely. the only things that seem to go wrong is the computer crashing, or restarting. either way, i don't have auto login, so i wouldn't be able to get to it remotely. heat isn't the problem right now (it was when i was trying 4.0 ghz - or 4 x gpu).

my main 3 rigs (i need names!)

1. Asus - running 3.5 ghz i7 920. 2 x GTX 260

2. Alienware - 3.6 ghz i7 920 now. 2 x GTX 260

3. home built (need name) - 3.6 ghz i7 930 now. 1 x GTX 260, 1 x GTS 250.

and i've got my ps3 folding and my macbook pro gpu folding right now, but not all the time

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
haha thanks. i try to be.

i thought about doing this, and it wouldn't be very hard to do, but if something goes wrong, there's really nothing i can do remotely. the only things that seem to go wrong is the computer crashing, or restarting. either way, i don't have auto login, so i wouldn't be able to get to it remotely. heat isn't the problem right now (it was when i was trying 4.0 ghz - or 4 x gpu).
if the machines resboot then there is no problem with remote login. setup some sort of VNC server that opens once the machine starts up and away you go! i can do that to any of my machines from external sites - works a treat :D

my main 3 rigs (i need names!)

1. Asus - running 3.5 ghz i7 920. 2 x GTX 260 Slice?

2. Alienware - 3.6 ghz i7 920 now. 2 x GTX 260 Dice?

3. home built (need name) - 3.6 ghz i7 930 now. 1 x GTX 260, 1 x GTS 250. Sandy?

and i've got my ps3 folding and my macbook pro gpu folding right now, but not all the time

thats a hell of alot of power!!!!! atm i only have my i7 iMac - 4 cores, and crappy E4600 @2.4ghz lol. the PC has a 8500GT - can that be used in any way? it worked with BOINC when i used to do SETI. it was about 2x faster then my CPU haha.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
if the machines resboot then there is no problem with remote login. setup some sort of VNC server that opens once the machine starts up and away you go! i can do that to any of my machines from external sites - works a treat :D

true, but if it crashes then there's nothing i can do. and usually if it crashes or restarts, to fix the problem i have to get into the BIOS. but remote login would be good if the power flickers (like today)

thats a hell of alot of power!!!!! atm i only have my i7 iMac - 4 cores, and crappy E4600 @2.4ghz lol. the PC has a 8500GT - can that be used in any way? it worked with BOINC when i used to do SETI. it was about 2x faster then my CPU haha.

thanks. all of those have 4 real cores, 8 logical. same as your iMac. the difference is mine are all overclocked.

hey it wouldn't hurt to download the gpu client and see if it works with that card. it might

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
true, but if it crashes then there's nothing i can do. and usually if it crashes or restarts, to fix the problem i have to get into the BIOS. but remote login would be good if the power flickers (like today)
argh that makes it hard then. change BIOS settings? what on earth is wrong with your computers lol! they should just restart after a blackout (with correct settings of course) - then away it goes.

thanks. all of those have 4 real cores, 8 logical. same as your iMac. the difference is mine are all overclocked.
you should disable HT - you would get more performance, which = more units! :D

(edit: as stated in the other folding thread - my rate has gone down to 13.9x folding speed with 4 core (whatever that means), before with 8threads it was ~16x. )

hey it wouldn't hurt to download the gpu client and see if it works with that card. it might
thats on my OSX 10.5.7 hackintosh - is that possible do you think?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
argh that makes it hard then. change BIOS settings? what on earth is wrong with your computers lol! they should just restart after a blackout (with correct settings of course) - then away it goes.

well with overclocking, if something goes wrong, to fix it, you've gotta go into the BIOS. it will restart as normal, but the problem will keep happening, and it'll keep crashing and restarting

you should disable HT - you would get more performance, which = more units! :D

(edit: as stated in the other folding thread - my rate has gone down to 13.9x folding speed with 4 core (whatever that means), before with 8threads it was ~16x. )

i have heard people disabling HT, but not many. i'll just stick to what works for me

thats on my OSX 10.5.7 hackintosh - is that possible do you think?

GPU folding right now only works in windows

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
well with overclocking, if something goes wrong, to fix it, you've gotta go into the BIOS. it will restart as normal, but the problem will keep happening, and it'll keep crashing and restarting
ahh true. you need a remote control hand with a video camera!

i have heard people disabling HT, but not many. i'll just stick to what works for me
hehe ok ok :p the performance gain v power usage increase/stress on CPU is obvious though lol. hope you earn lots of moneys to pay for electricity lol

GPU folding right now only works in windows
blast i read that but was praying for a work around ;)

p.s. like ur server ;) i also have one :D

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well i'm not totally sure yet, but it looks like one of my systems is down already! i'll have a better idea later tonight though. i might look into having a remote login system, so i'd know sooner if something is wrong.

i'm gonna have to cut it back to 3.5 ghz just to be safe i think

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
well i'm not totally sure yet, but it looks like one of my systems is down already! i'll have a better idea later tonight though. i might look into having a remote login system, so i'd know sooner if something is wrong.

i'm gonna have to cut it back to 3.5 ghz just to be safe i think

oh really? thats frustrating!! what soft of temps do they sit at? are you sure you have cranked enough voltage into them?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
oh really? thats frustrating!! what soft of temps do they sit at? are you sure you have cranked enough voltage into them?

the temps haven't been that high (70C or under). i have changed the voltages, but maybe not enough. that's one of those things you have to play with.

but it looks like 2 of my rigs are down now. i might be driving back to fix them tomorrow night i guess. i'll put both of them back to 3.5 ghz and hopefully they'll stay stable.

my asus has been rock solid compared to the other 2 though. staying at 3.5-3.6 ghz

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
the temps haven't been that high (70C or under). i have changed the voltages, but maybe not enough. that's one of those things you have to play with.

but it looks like 2 of my rigs are down now. i might be driving back to fix them tomorrow night i guess. i'll put both of them back to 3.5 ghz and hopefully they'll stay stable.

my asus has been rock solid compared to the other 2 though. staying at 3.5-3.6 ghz

oh thats not very hot! might be the PSU struggling maybe?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong

so i'm back at my apartment now, and i was wrong. the home built rig is still going! it's the asus and alienware that both restarted for some reason (probably a crash of some sort).

so that's somewhat good news. i've got the other 2 running again now, but we'll see how long it lasts this time.

i haven't messed with the asus in a long time, so i'm not sure what's going on with it. i might need to change some settings on the alienware though.

anyone want to recommend me a good remote desktop solution for windows?

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Been offline for a day cuz of power and then router trouble. but everything is back running on an older linksys router that I had. It should be trouble free. the other one was a wireless router and it would stop working sometimes for no apparent reason.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Been offline for a day cuz of power and then router trouble. but everything is back running on an older linksys router that I had. It should be trouble free. the other one was a wireless router and it would stop working sometimes for no apparent reason.

glad you are back up. i just lost another bigadv unit with my home built rig - it was doing good, then crashed again. not sure why. but i lowered it to 3.599 ghz, and changed some power settings. we'll see how it does overnight

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Wirelessly posted (nokia e63: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE63-1/100.21.110; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

twoodcc, logmein.com is a wonderful (free) web based app. You install a task bar application tht runs whenever the computer turns on.. You then connect in via a web based interface.

Also you could use team viewer to connect. Its free as well but is an app that needs to be opened (auto start might work), its a much much better experience then logmein.com but not as reliable/portable/accessible.

You could also setup port forwarding yourself and run vnc servers :)

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Wirelessly posted (nokia e63: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE63-1/100.21.110; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

twoodcc, logmein.com is a wonderful (free) web based app. You install a task bar application tht runs whenever the computer turns on.. You then connect in via a web based interface.

Also you could use team viewer to connect. Its free as well but is an app that needs to be opened (auto start might work), its a much much better experience then logmein.com but not as reliable/portable/accessible.

You could also setup port forwarding yourself and run vnc servers :)

thanks. are you sure it will work from the login screen?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.