Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeterBonnar

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2004
England
I recently reset my ipod and retransfered all my iTunes music.
However..... when i look in iTunes to look at my library it says there is 3384 songs and they take up 14.89 gig but my iPod says 3357 songs taking up 14.47 gig. I've tried updating it again and it won't transfer anymore songs. Any idea why its not transfering these last 20+ songs, or how to find ot which ones did not transfer?

stoid

macrumors 601
iTunes can play any file that contains audio. If one of your older mp3's is encoded as a mpeg file without video (still technically an mp3), it is bundled in a slightly different manner, and the iPod cannot play it back. The best way to find these files would be add Kind in View Options, sort by Kind, and see if any songs stick out.

PeterBonnar

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2004
England
I don't have any mp3's except for those that make my iTrip work. And they are all present on the iPod. I had a look down the list looking at artists and albums to see if anything sticks out as something that is not supposed to be there and everything looks correct, i'm guessing one or two albums are not being updated but i can't work out which ones.

stoid

macrumors 601
Make sure all songs are checked and that the iPod is set to update all songs. Though I'm sure you've already done that.

I had this same problem, and the only way I found to fix it was to compare libraries song for song. I sorted both the same way and compared every 4th or 5th screen. If they matched up, I continued, if not, I found the offending song and fixed it. I was a tedious task with about 800 songs, I can't imagine it would be much fun at all with 3000+ tracks though. Maybe there is an easier way I'm not seeing...

PeterBonnar

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2004
England
Fixed!
I started doing what you suggested by opening up the ipod list of songs and the itunes list and comparing, straight away i noticed that i had more aerosmith songs on my itunes then iPod!

I look a the song names and i had two copies of "eat the rich".
I started to go through my itunes looking st just the song names and i found a few albums and one or two random songs that were present in duplicate. I delted these re-synced an *bam* suddenly they both add up to the same.

Weird thing is.... how did i get them in duplicate? i might have encoded a cd twice by accident, but that doesn't explain the single songs. Weird itunes bug?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.