Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justmattylee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
hello, my friend recently inherited a g4 iBook running leopard. these ones were just before apple began adding webcams. hence there is no webcam on this laptop, does anyone know of a good webcam that is compatible with OS X leopard and the g4 iBook.

thanks
Just'

p.s. good but not overly priced too he he ;-)

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Just plug it in and go. Once plugged in, Skype/iChat AV/whatever program will recognize that it's there. The iSight people are referring to here is the external firewire one that Apple sold a while ago, your iBook doesn't have the built-in iSight (hence the lack of a camera, or small black dot, in the middle of the top bezel of the screen).

Also, FWIW, any MiniDV camcorder will function as a webcam too. I do this whenever I need to video chat so I don't have to buy another webcam.

katie.rose2536

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2011
Help

Rocketfish Webcam for notebook. It works on my Powerbook G4 and iBook G4 both running Leopard.

when you put the cd in the powerbook g4, does it automatically start installing the webcam or does a cd pop up? Cause when I put the cd in, all of these files pop up in the file of a cd and it cant install it.

HELP ME PLEASE!

BigDukeSix

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
34.6700N 118.1590W
From my experience, the CD's that come with camera's are all for Windows. If the camera is UVC compliant, it should just plug and play. And, none of them come with a CD for Mac OS X as far as I know.

I am running the HP on my PM G5 and it works well. However, my G5 does not run Skype very well, it stutters and the video freezes, so it is hard to say how a G4 will work.

http://www.mac-compatible-web-cam.com/

jamesimcanespy

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2011
I purchased a Webcam from Asda (Wal-mart's trading name in Britain) that was branded with the store's own name, and nothing else, but with a model number of HPC201A.
It claimed to be a plug and play, but was only suitable for Windows XP/Vista (it didn't mention this outside the box, because I looked). I tried plugging it in to my iBook G4 (running Tiger), but nothing happened.
I opened Skype to see if it recognised any hardware but it didn't.
I searched Google to see if I could find a driver for it, but there was nothing useful.
What do I have to do to run a webcam like that on an iBook? Is there a software that I could use to test if a webcam is being recognised?
Thanks in advance.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Most webcams will not work with Macs. If you want really cheap, look for Logitech ones that says UVC camera... I cannot remember the exact model of the one I have bought but it is a cheap UVC web cam from Logitech.

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
The cheapest and actually very decent quality camera you want to get for your PPC Mac is the Xbox Live Cam which goes for about 10€ now on ebay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.