Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hierobryan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
earth/jupiter
My iPad registers my touch just above my finger. For example, when using a drawing app to draw a horizontal line, the line will appear just above my finger tip (right above the fingernail). But when I draw a vertical line it will appear perfectly centered. This happens in both portrait and landscape views, so it's obviously a software issue. When I draw lines on my iPhone it comes out perfectly centered both vertically and horizontally. Is this a problem for anyone else's iPad?

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
My iPad registers my touch just above my finger. For example, when using a drawing app to draw a horizontal line, the line will appear just above my finger tip (right above the fingernail). But when I draw a vertical line it will appear perfectly centered. This happens in both portrait and landscape views, so it's obviously a software issue. When I draw lines on my iPhone it comes out perfectly centered both vertically and horizontally. Is this a problem for anyone else's iPad?

Are you experiencing this problem across all applications or just one drawing app? There are drawing apps that offset your finger position to help you see where you're drawing, you can usually turn this off in the settings.

If you notice this issue in Safari and Mail, then you need to take it back to Apple and have them calibrate it or replace it.

hierobryan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
earth/jupiter
Are you experiencing this problem across all applications or just one drawing app? There are drawing apps that offset your finger position to help you see where you're drawing, you can usually turn this off in the settings.

If you notice this issue in Safari and Mail, then you need to take it back to Apple and have them calibrate it or replace it.

This happens in 3 different drawing apps: Brushes, PaperDesk, and Layers Pro. I also noticed when I'm in Settings and I touch a certain category, it will pick the category just above the one I wanted. This problem also appears in Safari when I try to click links or edit text boxes.

hierobryan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
earth/jupiter
So I tried respringing, refreshing, and rebooting my iPad a bunch of times and found that sometimes my touch will register perfectly centered, and sometimes it will be slightly above my finger. I found this to be the case in all three drawing apps.:confused: I'm gonna restore when I get home from work in a few hours.

Code.Red

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Did this only happen after jailbreaking? Did you try restoring (and losing the jailbreak) and seeing if it does it then?

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
I think what the previous poster was suggesting is that you restore your iPad to factory. Then just try and put everything back to the way it was.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Exactly. = "unspringing"

Dude, seriously, you can't make up a term or even quote a wrong term and expect people to know what it is.

"Unspring" would suggest uninstalling springboard which means uninstalling the whole OS as springboard is part of iPhoneOS and not something jailbreakers came up with.

If you meant restore, just say "restore to factory" instead of just wasting the OP and some people's time trying to figure out what you're talking about.

omgitscro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
I doubt that simply jailbreaking the device will lead to what you are experiencing.

As for your "issue," iPhone OS automatically offsets your touch input. There is no issue with "calibration," it's simply that the larger screen leads to a more noticeable offset. The offset is necessary because your touch input would appear to be incorrect without it.

hierobryan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
earth/jupiter
I doubt that simply jailbreaking the device will lead to what you are experiencing.

As for your "issue," iPhone OS automatically offsets your touch input. There is no issue with "calibration," it's simply that the larger screen leads to a more noticeable offset. The offset is necessary because your touch input would appear to be incorrect without it.

That's not true. I just restored my iPad and now it's back to being perfectly centered on both X and Y axes just like on my iPhone. I've been testing it out on Brushes and Layers Pro and my problem hasn't reappeared. It seems that it was something I installed after jailbreaking that caused my problem.

Comedy

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2010
Did anyone figure out what jailbreak app is causing this?

I really don't want to have to restore but it's really annoying

jalpert

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
I can vouch for what the OP is experiencing. iPad was working perfectly fine. I jailbroke it and within a day or 2 it seemed like the screen lost it's calibration. I noticed it the most in RDP because I would click on the mouse would be about 2/10 of an inch away from where I clicked, which is a long way for RDP. Anyway, I did a restore, and re-sync and it is now fine and has been since.

alannet

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2010
I have two 3G 64G iPads. One for myself and one for my wife. Mine is jailbroken the other not. In a side-by-side test I see the offset on the jailbroken one and not on the other. It appears to be more pronounced in Safari although I do see it in other apps. I don't recall exactly when the problem showed up. I do have Netatalk installed but not sure it that caused it. I don't have to have the jailbreak but like to play around with it.

tuxing

macrumors member
May 21, 2010
exact same problem here

me too have the same problem. restoration solved it but cant resist jailbreaking again. problem reappeared after installing mobilesubstrate, applist, preferenceloader as dependencies for fullforce. am sure the culprit is not fullforce as i hadnt used it previously. so its one of the other three or a script.
This problem is well evident in landscape mode and can easily be made out in apps like installous which have only landscape mode.

even before jailbreaking found the screen response to be poor comparing to my iphone 2g. by poor i mean touching links in safari often goes wrong, it was magical on iphone. also drawing in an app like glow draw you dont get perfect lines following your finger movement.

aperry

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
I had the same issue, also with a jailbroken phone. I've never heard of netatalk, so it's not that app.

I also restored (based on the advice from someone on Modmyi who had the same issue) and it went away. I've re-jailbroken and so far it seems okay, but sometimes I feel like it's out of calibration again. My guess is that it has something to do with either the jailbreak itself or some common jailbreak app (like SBSettings or Backgrounder).

tuxing

macrumors member
May 21, 2010
me too have the same problem. restoration solved it but cant resist jailbreaking again. problem reappeared after installing mobilesubstrate, applist, preferenceloader as dependencies for fullforce. am sure the culprit is not fullforce as i hadnt used it previously. so its one of the other three or a script.
This problem is well evident in landscape mode and can easily be made out in apps like installous which have only landscape

strange , now i noticed that the screen alignment problem gets corrected itself at times and comesback after sometime.

bodaay

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2009
I am having the same problem

The only common thing i did was installing Mobile Substrate, i have tried twice

Although it was working fine for quite some time. But the problem just started again

And the strange thing is that the problem gone away when mobile subtrate crashed and restarted. Though turning my iPad off/on did not solve anything

I wonder if anyone is having the same problem without mobile substrate

Porshuh944turbo

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2003
I had the same problem. It is related to a jailbreak app from cydia/rock, currently the suspect is OpenSSH, but others have reported other possible suspects.

Check this thread here: http://modmyi.com/forums/ipad-jailbr...jailbreak.html.

OpenSSH suspected culprit on page 2:

"I also have the same calibration problem. It surfaced immediately after installing OpenSSH (all other dependencies were already installed and running fine for days, so I can pinpoint to exactly this package). As an earlier post mentions, respringing temporary solved the issue (until the next reboot)."

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Definitely not jail breaking my iPad after reading about this problem. I'd just be using sbsettings anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.