Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lens42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2009
I got an Apple TV for use only as a music server. I want to listen to iTunes tracks on my HiFi without a computer on, so a "headless" Apple TV controlled by the "Remote" app on an iPhone seems like a nice solution (cheaper than Squeezebox or Sonos). I have it working (I set up the Apple TV set on my TV and then moved it to my stereo), but a problem is that every time I power up the Apple TV, I get the loud start-up sound. I'd prefer to not leave the Apple TV on 24-7 (It gets warm, so that's a fair amount of wasted power) but rather turn it on via the switched power outlet on my preamp. I have a tube power amp so its warm-up time just about matches the Apple TV boot-up. But I'd really like to kill the start-up "whoosh" that occurs at the end of boot-up. Or at least really cut it's volume. Can this be done?

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
That's a good question. If you jailbreak your AppleTV, you can SSH into it which will give you access to its files. From there, you can replace the bootup video with a short one without audio.

Look up how to jailbreak and SSH into your AppleTV and find the bootup video. Delete it and drop in the new short video renamed exactly as the old one. This should work perfectly.

Tulipone

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2009
Huntingdon UK
The sound is loud over my home cinema. It does disappear when you use ATV Flash. I kind of really like it though (and removed ATV Flash).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.