Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahmadof

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
all in one type machine. i'm not looking for something to do perfect piuctures, just basic homeoffice , fax , copy type stuff. I want to make sure it works well with OSX and hopefully has support in the future (unlike the microtek i'm looking at right now. thanks

iBert

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2004
hp-psc1200 series. I have the psc1215 all in one and at the lab I work we also have that same one. Cheap and will do everything you're looking for. hope this help.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
I myself am fond of my Canon LIDE series scanner. Its USB powered, so there is less clutter, and it works well, does decent enough scans for OCR, photos, and documents. Plus its affordable.

Downsides, the Canon software is awful. I purchased VueScan and I am much happier with it.

quidire

macrumors 6502
iBert said:
hp-psc1200 series. I have the psc1215 all in one and at the lab I work we also have that same one. Cheap and will do everything you're looking for. hope this help.

If you can swing it, the HP PSC 2410 is (obviously) better, indeed by a significant margin.

Apple Store link

In fact there is a 2510, which is the 2410 but wireless (yes, it can connect via WiFi to your Mac)
Apple Store Link

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
Canon LIDE 80?

seamuskrat said:
I myself am fond of my Canon LIDE series scanner. Its USB powered, so there is less clutter, and it works well, does decent enough scans for OCR, photos, and documents. Plus its affordable.

Downsides, the Canon software is awful. I purchased VueScan and I am much happier with it.

I'm thinking about the Canon LIDE 80. I won't be using it for anything special, just scanning some photos or OCR work. I had the Canon FB620U but haven't been able to find a driver for it and my G5. It's cheap, ~$80, OS X compatible, USB, and it comes with Elements 2.0 (which I was thinking of purchasing w/ best price of ~$45). So for about $40 I can get a scannner for light work. Anyone have any experience with this one? Cheers

arrowhead

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2004
i have epson stylus cx5200 all-in-one color printer/scanner/copier. it doesn't do fax. but, let's not forget that if you are using panther, you can use mail app to send/receive a fax. personally i've never used that feature before, so i guess others who have used it may be able to tell you better as to how well it works. as for my above printer, i bought it 1 1/2 years ago, so it is a bit old model. btw, it was about $150. if interested in a similar model, please check them out at epson's web site.

good luck.

Malic

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2002
I know what scanner NOT to get!!!

A Umax Astra 2100U. I had a unique solution to the lack of MacOS X driver support from Umax...

IMG_0031.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.