Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zea mays

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
I got my 32GB 3G iPad on Friday. Used all day Saturday with no problems. Yesterday, I was watching a TV show on Netflix over WiFi and it froze. It had a line of blue pixels down the side that blinked slowly, but would not unlock. So, I reset the iPad and everything was fine. About 2-3 hours later, I was watching TV on Netflix again and this time the whole screen went blue and locked. Reset the iPad again and it's been fucntioning fine since. Anyone else have this problem? I'll likely take it back for an exchange, but I'm just curious if it's happened to anyone else.

dissdnt

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
App kinda sucks. They really need to work on a more native app then some webpage crap.

iSingandiDance

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
It freezes but never to a point where I have to reset it.

Does this occur when using any other video streaming app?

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I have watched two full length Netflix films on my 16 gig wifi iPad with no problem whatsoever. I guess it's one of those YMMV situations...

jarvijarv

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2008
SoCal
It's happened to me a couple of times now watching movies on Netflix. The picture just freezes, no multi-touch interaction. I had to keep reseting every time. I have no problem watching videos on YouTube.
So is this a problem with the iPad or Netflix app or WiFi connection?
I have become very attached (customized) to my iPad 3G (16GB) and I don't want to replace it if there is nothing wrong with it and if an update on the Netflix app will fix it.

zea mays

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
It freezes but never to a point where I have to reset it.

Does this occur when using any other video streaming app?

Not that I've seen, but I haven't done much video streaming other than netflix.

It's happened to me a couple of times now watching movies on Netflix. The picture just freezes, no multi-touch interaction. I had to keep reseting every time. I have no problem watching videos on YouTube.
So is this a problem with the iPad or Netflix app or WiFi connection?
I have become very attached (customized) to my iPad 3G (16GB) and I don't want to replace it if there is nothing wrong with it and if an update on the Netflix app will fix it.

Yeah, I'm not sure either. I'll have to keep playing with not to be able to see but I'm a little concerned. I hoe that it sorts itself out soon so that I can do an easy return if I need to.

dstafford

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2010
I had a non 3G for 3 weeks of solid use between Videos, Netflix and ABC Player - never a freeze. I 'upgraded' to the 3G model and am having the exact same lockup issues reported here requiring a soft reset using both Netflix and the ABC Player.

I visited the Genius Bar today and nothing appeared in the diagnostics. - They restored factory firmware and with only Netflix reinstalled, I repro'd the problem in 3 minutes (after getting home).

Next step is another trip to the store in hopes I can repro it there live in person. (I may leave it locked up and drive there with it frozen)

steel magnolia

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
South Florida/ N.C.
The app is still buggy, try watching ABC, and see how that works for you. If ABC doesn't do the exact same issue then I would think it is the app and not the iPad with the problem. Any video would work but suggested ABC because it's a free app with video streaming. You Tube seems to work great sometimes and horrible at other times so I wouldn't recommend trying that video source.

Patty

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Yesterday was the first time I had issues. I had to uninstall and reinstall the app to get it to work again.

mugatu

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2007
Bad news but I think you'll need to take the iPad back for an exchange. Had the issue of freezing video on my wifi 16gb iPad when using ABC player, streaming youtube and apple trailers. There is a really big thread on this over at Apple Support.

I made a reservation with a Genius who tried a factory reset but the issue occurred straight away again after this. He was happy to swap it for a new one. He also said that Apple are becoming aware of the issue and he had to fill in some documents and send the faulty iPad back to apple to they can diagnose this issue further. Seems like quite a few people are having this issue and it looks like it's hardware not software based.

My new iPad has been perfect so far (touch wood).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.