Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

livenlaugh

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2010
I bought an iPad that had some stuff already on it. I just want to add my own apps, books,etc but it's telling me I have to delete the existing stuff to do it. How can I do this?

Tulipone

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2009
Huntingdon UK
I bought an iPad that had some stuff already on it. I just want to add my own apps, books,etc but it's telling me I have to delete the existing stuff to do it. How can I do this?

You need to authorize the computer with the account that owns the stuff that is on the iPad.

livenlaugh

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2010
I went under store at the top and authorized the "computer" but it's still not letting me add anything without first deleting the others.

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
Do you mean it's out of space? In that case, you have to delete something to make room for something else.

livenlaugh

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2010
Nope it still has tons of space. It won t let me add any of mine own stuff without completely deleting everything thats already on the iPad.

Macjames

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Yorkshire, England

I think I see your problem, am I right in thinking that it wants to set up a new profile on the iPad because the stuff on it already was not purchased on your computer, hence it does not regonise your computer as 'the right one' and by setting up a new profile and syncing it with your computer for the first time it erases the existing content.

livenlaugh

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2010
I think I see your problem, am I right in thinking that it wants to set up a new profile on the iPad because the stuff on it already was not purchased on your computer, hence it does not regonise your computer as 'the right one' and by setting up a new profile and syncing it with your computer for the first time it erases the existing content.

Yes I think so. I just plugged it into my computer today.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
You won't be able to keep whats on there as it's not from your iTunes account. You can keep it is or sync it and lose it.

Tulipone

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2009
Huntingdon UK
I got my iPad and synchronized with my laptop. Purchased some apps and eventually got home and enabled my iMac and again synchronized the iPad. No problems at all. I have apps from two different iTunes accounts and apart from needing to log in with the appropraite account to update, no problems.

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
Yes I think so. I just plugged it into my computer today.

What computer was it plugged into when it was activated? Where did those apps come from?

It's basically telling you that it will any apps/content that is on there that is NOT associated with your iTunes account.

So either:
a) the apps/content on the ipad was purchased on the ipad using a different iTunes account than yours. Or
b) the apps/content on the ipad was transferred to the ipad from another iTunes account or a computer which was tied to a different iTunes account.

In any case, if those apps/content weren't purchased with your itunes account, then you are going to have to lose them to set it up to start working with your own itunes account.

livenlaugh

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2010
The person I bought it from uploaded movies like WallE and the apps came from their own iTunes account.

livenlaugh

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2010
I forgot to mention it's jail broken. It's really nothing I can do but delete them?

mklnk

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2010
Can't you use a program like senuti to pull the music off the ipad, then add it to your library, then sync?

Kawjumper201

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2010
I would think you could keep downloading apps from the app store using your account but ya as soon as u try to sync your out of luck unless you use some software to move the data.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
The person I bought it from uploaded movies like WallE and the apps came from their own iTunes account.

If anything on the iPad is from their iTunes account you wouldn't be able to use them anyway, it will require that you have the seller's iTunes account name and password. Just allow it to erase and restore. Not sure if will be become "unjailbroken" once you erase and re-sync.

pondie84

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Technically you own the iPad and not any of the media that came installed on it.

If what you're wanting to do is pull the media from the iPad, remove the DRM and then re-install it onto your iPad I don't know the answer to this :)

livenlaugh

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2010
Technically you own the iPad and not any of the media that came installed on it.

If what you're wanting to do is pull the media from the iPad, remove the DRM and then re-install it onto your iPad I don't know the answer to this :)

I transferred purchases and I think it did some things.

livenlaugh

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2010
Well I just tried to add stuff and the only thing I have a problem adding is my apps. I only have like 2 paid iPad apps so I guess it's not that big of a deal.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Your problem is simple - that isn't your "stuff". You don't own it, and don't have a right to use it.

livenlaugh

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2010
I had no problems adding my own pictures, songs,etc just apps. If I want to add books or apps can't I just buy it from the app store on the ipad and have it installed there? That would work right?

eta: THe person I bought it from left all those things on there for me because he knew I wanted them and had no problem with that so I don't see how you can call that stealing.

p-rice

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Las Vegas
You can't do anything about it. You can't keep the apps that the previous owner left while syncing your own. Those apps are permanently attached to his/her account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.