Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anthrodora

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2008
Oregon, US of A
Hi all! I know there are lots of problems with superdrives, and I hate to ask a redundant question but I haven't found anything that helps yet in searches, so I'd appreciate your patience and assistance.

There's no disc in the drive, but it's locked up and won't accept a disc into the slot whatever I do. It never had trouble reading discs before--none of the spinning-without-reading issues I'm seeing other people have had. I have frequently ended up with ghost discs, when the computer hangs onto a disc image (or two) after ejecting the actual discs, but it's never caused a real problem. There is no disc image now.

She is an old lady of a 12" titanium Powerbook G4. 867 MHz, 640 MB ram, running Panther 10.3.9. The drive in question is the original apple-shipped MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-815. Pushing five years, we are long past warranty/Applecare here.

What I've tried:
Pressing eject (ad nauseum)
Pressing F12
Command E
Pressing eject in iTunes
Adding an eject button to the toolbar and pressing that
Checking in About This Mac>More Info that the device is still recognized (check)
Restarting (several times)
Shutting system down overnight and rebooting in the morning
Going into Open Firmware and typing command "cd eject" (says "can't OPEN the EJECT device")

What I know of but haven't tried:
Restart holding mouse button - I don't have a USB mouse on me.

Hoping I don't need to take it in or get the drive replaced--no way I'm opening this sucker up myself, though.

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
Hi all! I know there are lots of problems with superdrives, and I hate to ask a redundant question but I haven't found anything that helps yet in searches, so I'd appreciate your patience and assistance.

There's no disc in the drive, but it's locked up and won't accept a disc into the slot whatever I do. It never had trouble reading discs before--none of the spinning-without-reading issues I'm seeing other people have had. I have frequently ended up with ghost discs, when the computer hangs onto a disc image (or two) after ejecting the actual discs, but it's never caused a real problem. There is no disc image now.

She is an old lady of a 12" titanium Powerbook G4. 867 MHz, 640 MB ram, running Panther 10.3.9. The drive in question is the original apple-shipped MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-815. Pushing five years, we are long past warranty/Applecare here.

What I've tried:
Pressing eject (ad nauseum)
Pressing F12
Command E
Pressing eject in iTunes
Adding an eject button to the toolbar and pressing that
Checking in About This Mac>More Info that the device is still recognized (check)
Restarting (several times)
Shutting system down overnight and rebooting in the morning
Going into Open Firmware and typing command "cd eject" (says "can't OPEN the EJECT device")

What I know of but haven't tried:
Restart holding mouse button - I don't have a USB mouse on me.

Hoping I don't need to take it in or get the drive replaced--no way I'm opening this sucker up myself, though.

Try a PMU reset, PRAM reset and Safe Boot. Otherwise, if there is no disc in the superdrive, the superdrive may be dead.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Sounds like you have a dead SuperDrive.

Opening up the 12" PBG4 is a PITA because you have to take apart just about everything, but I had to do it to replace my SuperDrive that was out of warranty.

ifixit has an excellent step-by-step guide for this procedure. They also sell replacement drives for your baby.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
FYI, for those reading this... you don't need a USB mouse to use the hold mouse button to eject feature as the OP seems to think... the trackpad button works perfectly fine (and would likely have solved the OP's problem).

anthrodora

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2008
Oregon, US of A
Yes, sorry for not posting the result--I ended up taking it in to my local mac retail/repair shop, and apparently they just jammed a disc into the drive past the resistance, and it worked fine. Very anticlimactic.

I was not able to override the superdrive using the trackpad to mouseclick-restart. Maybe I was just not timing it right, but it was not working and information I found online supported my understanding that this procedure required a usb mouse. However, perhaps in my case it was a mechanical issue which the mouseclick wouldn't have helped with in any case.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
You hold the mouse button as soon as you hear the startup chime. In any case, it works fine on my PBG4 and I don't even have the USB-based trackpad (introduced in the last generation of the PBG4).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.