Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

094014-snow_leopard_box_2.jpg

World of Apple reports that Apple has seeded yet another new version of Mac OS X 10.6.4, termed Build 10F54, to select developers. The release comes just days after the release of Build 10F50.

Little seems to have changed since the previous release according to the documentation, although the new build now carries no known issues. Developers are reportedly once again asked to focus their attention on GraphicsDrivers, SMB, USB, VoiceOver, and VPN.

The shortening interval between developer seeds could indicate that Apple is wrapping up development on the update, although Apple's development cycles are unpredictable and the company could continue minor refinements for some time as was seen with Mac OS X 10.6.3. That release was first seeded to developers in early January and did not make its public debut until late March.

Article Link: Another New Build of Mac OS X 10.6.4 (10F54) Seeded to Developers

JavierP

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2008
10F50 had some serious issues with nvidia drivers. My MBP crashed hard when running Cinebench. While it lasted, it ran much faster than 10.5.8

akornstein

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2010
I'm having serious problems with my 10.6.3 clients seeing active directory. Anyone else experiencing this? All of my 10.5 machines are just fine. Hopefully this will get fixed.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
They're working on the VPN!!! Thank you Lord.

I'm having serious problems with my 10.6.3 clients seeing active directory. Anyone else experiencing this? All of my 10.5 machines are just fine. Hopefully this will get fixed.

My iMac here at work takes forever to authenticate to Active Directory when I wake it up in the morning.

AKlrt

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2009
iPhone OS 4

I guess not word on a release of the iPhone OS 4.0 Beta 4? It is Tuesday afternoon after all!!

AKlrt

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2009
Beta 4

This could be the last or next to the last so it could be quite revealing - what is new, and what is gone (argh)!!

jmull

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
But does it...

Does it block pron and any other sites that some people might not like but others do? Why are they working on a new version of Mac OS when the PC is dying (cite:SJ) :D?

sicn

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2010
Are they going to fix the problems with the random keyboard and trackpad hanging?

I just don't know you some of you guys manage to have so many problems. I have had a Macbook Pro (my first one ever) for a little over a year now and _never_ had any problems at all. And believe me, I am a power-user... Using the computer about 8h a day for work (software engineering) and i am sure another hour or two in the evenings for surfing, fixing photos, e-mailing, etc. etc.

But I have one wish for 10.6.4... TRIM! (just got myself an SSD :D).

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Anyone know if this will fix the problem with Samba introduced with 10.6.3 (some say 10.6.2 but I never saw it back then). I haven't been able to save to my NAS drive since forever, it's driving me bonkers.

The NAS does support AFP, but that's even worse than broken SMB. It leaves weird garbage temp files all over the place and sometimes files disappear when I move them to the NAS (Like, I'll select 40 files and move them to the NAS, and when I look, there's only 38 - the remaining two are found in the NAS drive's "Network Recycle Bin"). Could be crappy AFP implementation on the NAS rather than an OS X issue, but that doesn't help me.

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Anyone know if this will fix the problem with Samba introduced with 10.6.3 (some say 10.6.2 but I never saw it back then). I haven't been able to save to my NAS drive since forever, it's driving me bonkers.

The NAS does support AFP, but that's even worse than broken SMB. It leaves weird garbage temp files all over the place and sometimes files disappear when I move them to the NAS (Like, I'll select 40 files and move them to the NAS, and when I look, there's only 38 - the remaining two are found in the NAS drive's "Network Recycle Bin"). Could be crappy AFP implementation on the NAS rather than an OS X issue, but that doesn't help me.

Yes, this is right in the notes and is a HUGE issue which is why I'm hoping they release .4 faster than it took .3. I have a NAS drive just sitting here that I cannot use.

Oh-es-Ten

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2007
London

Interesting... What issues are you seeing?

I have a problem with AD in 10.6.3 - you are unable to change your AD password when using a mobile account. This is a weird problem.

Works fine if you disable mobile accounts, and the authentication to AD does not seem to be a problem itself...

Apple Engineering has requested logs from AD, so somehow have to find those... oh joy....

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Yes, this is right in the notes and is a HUGE issue which is why I'm hoping they release .4 faster than it took .3. I have a NAS drive just sitting here that I cannot use.
It is a huge issue. Why can't they just fix the worst stuff with some sort of panic patches, why do we have to wait for these accumulated 10.X.X updates? When Microsoft screws up bad they issue a small-ish "Update for Windows (KB blah blah blah)", they don't go mmmyeah, wait for the Service Pack coming in 3 months...

The only quickfixes I see from Apple are stuff like firmware updates for panels, mice, keyboards etc.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
OpenGL 3.1/2/3?

It is a huge issue. Why can't they just fix the worst stuff with some sort of panic patches, why do we have to wait for these accumulated 10.X.X updates? When Microsoft screws up bad they issue a small-ish "Update for Windows (KB blah blah blah)", they don't go mmmyeah, wait for the Service Pack coming in 3 months...

The only quickfixes I see from Apple are stuff like firmware updates for panels, mice, keyboards etc.

No, Microsoft fix an issue in the next operating system release. :p

But really, it's just a characteristic of UNIX OSes. It makes it difficult to issue minor updates.

Just think of it this way, Linux and FreeBSD is frequently broken by lots of minor updates.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007

Frimware updates don't affect the OS, it updates the hardware directly with no impact on the OS, system updates does.

There are a lot of applications or utilities that depend on the SMB backend, Apple can't release the update without testing all the dependencies, the same reason for everything else. A single fix could unleach a ripple effect throughout the rest of the system creating regressive bugs that could take longer to fix than to release another update. Thus every single fix has to be verfied and checked for regression, taking forever to release a single update.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Frimware updates don't affect the OS, it updates the hardware directly with no impact on the OS, system updates does.

There are a lot of applications or utilities that depend on the SMB backend, Apple can't release the update without testing all the dependencies, the same reason for everything else. A single fix could unleach a ripple effect throughout the rest of the system creating regressive bugs that could take longer to fix than to release another update. Thus every single fix has to be verfied and checked for regression, taking forever to release a single update.
Fair enough, but if there's a great amount of dependency on the Samba backend and the fear of ripple effects is a factor, perhaps they shouldn't have messed with it in the first place...? And if their testing is so extensive, how did something this basic slip through? I mean, writing files. It's step 2 after checking that it reads them.

I work against this NAS drive from 3 different computers and I've had to use Boot Camp as a fallback due to this issue. "Windows to the rescue", does that sound right? :eek:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
No, Microsoft fix an issue in the next operating system release. :p

You misspelled :p - :p.

And, not true. I had one system (Win7 x64) which had developed an annoying habit of hanging for a while when I'd be moving or rearranging files.

The latest patch Tuesday had an update (KB980408 - "Windows Explorer may stop responding for 30 seconds when a file or a directory is created or renamed after certain applications are installed."). Problem resolved. Didn't have to wait for Windows 8.

Just think of it this way, Linux and FreeBSD is frequently broken by lots of minor updates.

Linux is fundamentally brain damaged due to the use of .h files to define system APIs and data structures. You can break a Linux system by sneezing while rebuilding the kernel.

And, to the point, why on Earth should a user ever have to rebuild the kernel?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region

Well in the NAS runs Linux then take a look at this blog possible fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.