Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

linux2mac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
"City of Lakes", MN
I am a new Mac user this year ( I bought a 27" C2D iMac) and finally converted from a Linksys wireless G router to an Airport Extreme. Everything was simple to set up on the Airport. One question I have is how to remote administer the Extreme. On the Linksys I would enable remote administration by opening port 8080. Then from an off site location, I would type my IP Address ( I have a static IP) as follows - IP_Address:8080 in a web browser like Firefox. This would bring up a login screen for me to log into my router.

The reason I would like to remote administer my router is that I have several Linux servers on my network that I use VNC to administer. I do not like logging into one server and then from that server logging into another server on the network. Rather I would just change the VNC port forwarding to the IP address of the server I wanted to reach via the Linksys admin.

Is there a way to get to my Airport Extreme without going through my iMac?

Thanks.

-Mike

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
I am a new Mac user this year ( I bought a 27" C2D iMac) and finally converted from a Linksys wireless G router to an Airport Extreme. Everything was simple to set up on the Airport. One question I have is how to remote administer the Extreme. On the Linksys I would enable remote administration by opening port 8080. Then from an off site location, I would type my IP Address ( I have a static IP) as follows - IP_Address:8080 in a web browser like Firefox. This would bring up a login screen for me to log into my router.

The reason I would like to remote administer my router is that I have several Linux servers on my network that I use VNC to administer. I do not like logging into one server and then from that server logging into another server on the network. Rather I would just change the VNC port forwarding to the IP address of the server I wanted to reach via the Linksys admin.

Is there a way to get to my Airport Extreme without going through my iMac?

Thanks.

-Mike

Yes. It's in the admin options in Airport Utility. You can set up port forwarding to multiple IP addresses (e.g., 5900-->iMac; 5901-->server 1; 5902-->server 2), and there is also an option to check to allow remote admin over WAN of the airport extreme.

linux2mac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
"City of Lakes", MN
VNC is not working for me. In "Port Mapping" I assigned my Linux server to the following ports:

Public TCP: 5901
Private TCP:5901

When I try to VNC from the outside I am not connecting. I was able to connect with the Linksys port forwarding. Am I missing something in the configuration of the Airport? Thanks.

-Mike

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
VNC is not working for me. In "Port Mapping" I assigned my Linux server to the following ports:

Public TCP: 5901
Private TCP:5901

When I try to VNC from the outside I am not connecting. I was able to connect with the Linksys port forwarding. Am I missing something in the configuration of the Airport? Thanks.

-Mike

Since VNC runs on 5900 by default, you will want the private port to be set to that. The public port is the one exposed to the Internet; the private port is the one on the actual machine that it really uses. Doing this would "route" port 5901 when connecting to your AirPort Base Station to port 5900 on whatever machine you're telling it to do so on.

(I also prefer to run VNC only over SSH if I'm using only password authentication, but that's another story. Running on a non-standard port couldn't hurt, either.)

linux2mac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
"City of Lakes", MN
So then would I do this to VNC into different servers on my network?

Linux Server 1
Public TCP Port:5901
Private TCP Port:5900

Linux Server 2

Public TCP Port:5902

Linux Server 3

Thanks.

-Mike

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
So then would I do this to VNC into different servers on my network?

Linux Server 1

<snip>
Linux Server 3

Not quite, although it could have been just an accidental typo. The third server should be 9103. (Well, in reality, the public ports can be whatever you want, but going in sequence starting at the default VNC port is easy enough to remember--but you can't have to of them the same.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.