Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PK4KDG

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2010
I'm seeing the light here... But u havent tackled my main problem, that is to create events within events. or folders within a folder...
I think all you have to do is rethink your nested folder method for sorting. If you think about it it is a bit of a static kludge to organize that way. All a folder within a folder is doing is acting as a static predefined search query. In essence using key words and the other organizational methods like star ratings offers a much more flexible approach to finding the photos you want to display at any given time. This is after all is what your real goal is. Remember you can create or trash any album, slide show, book or smart album without affecting the photos in the library. For instance, you can easily create or edit a smart album to show photos with keyword A but not keyword B and have 5 star ratings and were taken with your Cannon in France. Then, when you have used these photos to create a book to send to your French paramour or colleague, you can if you wish delete the smart album without affecting the photo files. Nested folders don't quite keep up to that kind of photo management. With Keywords, Star Ratings, Faces, Places, and Smart Albums you can be confident of finding and organizing your photos any way you want without confining your photos to folders within folders.

cosmicap

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2010
I'm surprised no-one has offered iPhoto Buddy as a possible solution.
It allows you make as many Libraries as you want.
I've swiped a quote off the webpage

http://www.iphotobuddy.com/

which says it well:

"iPhoto Buddy is a Mac OS X application (Universal) that allows you to easily create, manage, and switch between multiple iPhoto Libraries. The advantages of splitting your One Huge Photo Library into multiple, smaller ones include improved iPhoto performance, increased flexibility in organizing your digital photo collection, and a consistency with most other Mac applications that allow their respective data to be stored in as many documents (in this case, "Libraries") as you like.

iPhoto Buddy uses a simple, streamlined interface that was inspired by iPhoto itself. Anyone that has used iPhoto will immediately feel right at home using iPhoto Buddy. It truly is a companion application--a real buddy!

iPhoto Buddy will never alter/move/delete your Libraries or your photo files. It's perfectly safe!
"

Great little programme and the owner asks for a donation. I reckon he deserves to do well. I have found it has made iPhoto much more functional as working with smaller Libraries is much more economical with resources.

For instance each country could have its own Library....As many Albums as you like within each Library.
Hope this is useful, or did I miss the Point?

rlandry6

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2012
I'm noobie on Mac and a creature of habit. I used Firehand Ember in Windows for years. You select a folder and it displays thumbnails of everything in that folder. Every folder on the computer is accessible and you can drag each individual image to where you want it. I wish there was something like that for Mac.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I'm noobie on Mac and a creature of habit. I used Firehand Ember in Windows for years. You select a folder and it displays thumbnails of everything in that folder. Every folder on the computer is accessible and you can drag each individual image to where you want it. I wish there was something like that for Mac.

There is. Open the Finder. You can open icon view in at least three ways.
1) Command 1
2) In the top Menu Bar go to View > Icon View
3) In the Finder's Tool Bar look for the icon with 4 little squares... and click it.

You can open a new (2nd) Finder window and drag icons between the two.

Or, if you the Sidebar showing, and you have the Spring-Loaded option checked (Preferences > General) you can drag an icon to one various "locations" in the Sidebar - and wait for a few seconds - and that location will "spring" open. You can navigate through the whole file system this way. When you finally get to the folder you want to place the file, drop it. You only need one Finder window open to navigate this way. Use the Option key to either move or copy... the green plus sign means you are copying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.