Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suraj

macrumors member
Original poster
Do bluetooth adapters such as the DBT-120 by D-Link work with OSX the same way an internal bluetooth module does?

For example, I have an internal bluetooth module on my G4 iBook that works seamlessly with my Apple Wireless Keyboard/Mouse combo (ie. bluetooth connection visible and configurable via OSX's bluetooth settings on the menu bar).

However, I plan on purchasing a secondhand G5 that does not have an internal bluetooth module and I plan on getting an adapter (namely the DBT-120) so that I can use my wireless keyboard/mouse (the reason I bought them in the first place).

Is there any difference in the way the software handles the connection between peripherals and the bluetooth module or is there no way of noticing that the bluetooth adapter is external (other then seeing it in a USB port of course).

Any advice/solutions would be greatly appreciated.

davegoody

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Nottingham, England.
Bluetooth adapters internal / external are the same

Hi, the chipset on the external BT dongle is the same as the internal BT on the Powerbooks etc. It is considerably neater to have the built-in BT though the user experience is identical - the same BT logo on the Menu Bar, the same functionality, the same Firmware updates work as for the internal version too.

The one Downside (other than being external) is that the original D-Link BT dongle was Mac Only (i.e. would not work on a PC) and also is not supported by Apple any more (even though I got it from Apple with my Last iMac - Now sold and awaiting G5 iMac) as it will not work with the BT Keyboard and Mouse.

Good luck !

Jalexster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2004
Wanna know something cool? The internal Bluetooth chip is actully connected to an internal USB connector. Look in the System Profiler for proof (under the USB page, obviously). So there shouldn't be any difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.