Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xgsrpg

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Since the G4 and the Pentium M are in the similar range of clockspeeds, how does a 1.5 GHz G4 compare to a 1.5 GHz Pentium M?

xgsrpg

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
FuzzyBallz said:
If you want speed, why not just go w/ Mobile AMD Athlon 64?

I was just curious because Apple's processors were always touted (not necessarily by Apple) to be faster than x86s at lower clock speeds. I am just curious of how the Pentium M and G4 compare with some real numbers.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
As far as I know, the P-M beats the pants of the G4 in both performance/watt and absolute performance for most things. It's actually a very nice chip in many ways, especially compared to the P4. Still probably loses pretty badly at vector stuff though. SSE2 has never been able to stand up to Altivec.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I'm pretty sure the Pentium M is a better chip than the G4 in most regards.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
i am not a fan of intel, but the pentium m is possibly the best chip out there for everyday consumers

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
my bro just got a PC laptop, Pentium M either 1.5 or 1.7GHz, something like that. Radeon 9700, 512MB RAM i think. i sure plays games very nicely. :D i haven't played with PhotoShop or anything like that on it, but it is a very nice chip indeed. :)

but dont' worry, Apple isn't going to drop the ball. just hang in there for the dual-core G4's. ;)

Corrupted

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2004
Lewisville, TX
I love Powerbook. I have owned 3 of them. But the Pentium-M will Spank a PowerBook. If you want speed and a crappy OS go for a Pentium -M notebook. If you want style, elegance and a sturdy OS which isn't the fastest but gets the job done go for a PowerBook.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Corrupted said:
I love Powerbook. I have owned 3 of them. But the Pentium-M will Spank a PowerBook. If you want speed and a crappy OS go for a Pentium -M notebook. If you want style, elegance and a sturdy OS which isn't the fastest but gets the job done go for a PowerBook.
The Pentium-M won't spank anything. It is only a processor. OTOH, the PowerBook is a line of laptop computers.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
If I bought a PC desktop, I'd want a Pentium-M (or AMD) in there rather than that disgusting and disgraceful P4. I'd rather not support such a bad tech. The P-M is definitely not bad at all, I must admit.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
Corrupted said:

That's just stereotypical mac/pc poo...
Speed and a decent OS: P-M
ALOT Slower and a good OS: G4

Dude, windows isn't that bad. If windows didn't get the job done, no one would be using it. get real.

edit: I don't want to discuss this mac/pc crap. Just making a point....

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Corrupted said:
the new Intel Dothan will spank a powerbook's G4 processor.
Neither the Intel Dothan nor the PowerBook's G4 will do anything until you install them in computers. The resulting performance of either will determined by the hardware and software that supports it. The only valid comparison of processors requires that the rest of the hardware be the same and that the two computers run the same software. Since neither is the case, no valid statement about the relative performance of the two processors can be made.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
MisterMe said:
Neither the Intel Dothan nor the PowerBook's G4 will do anything until you install them in computers. The resulting performance of either will determined by the hardware and software that supports it. The only valid comparison of processors requires that the rest of the hardware be the same and that the two computers run the same software. Since neither is the case, no valid statement about the relative performance of the two processors can be made.

Um....I'm sorry, but since you didn't put a </sarcasm> or similar at the end of your post, so I don't know if you were actually being seriously or not.

Its safe to say, even without testing, that a P-M or Dothan would spank the G4 blue if the rest of the hardware were the same.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Abstract said:
Um....I'm sorry, but since you didn't put a </sarcasm> or similar at the end of your post, so I don't know if you were actually being seriously or not.

Its safe to say, even without testing, that a P-M or Dothan would spank the G4 blue if the rest of the hardware were the same.

Not at (for example) RC-5. It's a sad day for a processor when you can't find SOME benchmark it wins at. The G4 wins at a few things due to altivec, and basically only due to altivec. That said, you can pry my AlBook out of my cold dead fingers :)

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Catfish_Man said:
Not at (for example) RC-5. It's a sad day for a processor when you can't find SOME benchmark it wins at. The G4 wins at a few things due to altivec, and basically only due to altivec. That said, you can pry my AlBook out of my cold dead fingers :)

If it's an AlBook, your fingers are probably quite warm...almost scorched, in fact :)

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
Capt Underpants said:
That's just stereotypical mac/pc poo...
Speed and a decent OS: P-M
ALOT Slower and a good OS: G4

Dude, windows isn't that bad. If windows didn't get the job done, no one would be using it. get real.

edit: I don't want to discuss this mac/pc crap. Just making a point....

And this is the stereotypical "I am not a zealot like I think you are, and if you don't agree with me, you are" troll.

Most of us who speak poorly of Windows do so from experience. I use XP part of the time most days (including right now) and I imagine that I am not the only person who does. Yes, it does often get the job done, but much in the same way MS-DOS does. You can do all your word processing on Wordstar on CP/M if that suits your needs, but that does not meen that it is the best value, or the best way to do your task.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Abstract said:

I am quite serious. The Intel Dothan and Pentium-M are computer parts, not computers. The blue PowerMac G4 is a computer. You can't compare computer parts to computers. Or, is this a concept too difficult for you?

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
MisterMe said:
I am quite serious. The Intel Dothan and Pentium-M are computer parts, not computers. The blue PowerMac G4 is a computer. You can't compare computer parts to computers. Or, is this a concept too difficult for you?
Yeah but come on mate, seriously, that's just pedantry isn't it. I love Macs but you have to face facts and admit that these Pentium chips walk all over the G4 processor in terms of speed. You can't dodge the argument by offering minutia like that and suggesting that someone can't grasp a concept when you yourself have quite conveniently failed to do so.

Edit: By the way we share the same birthday......there's no point to this statement I just found it interesting.....I need to get out more...

beefcake

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2003
Baltimore
If by some freak occurence you could put a Pentium-M chipset into a Powerbook and keep everything else the same, I would never dream of ever buying anything except that product. However, I still wouldn't buy an IBM Notebook purely because I hate Windows and don't have the time to figure out Linux.

zv470

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
Japan
Chaszmyr said:
I'm pretty sure the Pentium M is a better chip than the G4 in most regards.

yeah, probably true, but I'd rather use a slow Mac, than a fast PC any day. (well... especially in a mobile arena) :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.